Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Denver to Las Vegas...WOW

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 12:26 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Denver to Las Vegas...WOW

My wife and I took our first long road trip together. We shipped my bike to Denver where we headed for the hills! (well, mountains actually)We left Denver and headed to Boulder and stopped at the HD dealership there. Then off to Estes Park. Along the way we traveled through some beautiful quaint little towns. We stopped for lunch a half hour before getting to the Rocky Mountain National Park.. We then traveled up through the rocky mnt nat park to altitudes up over 12000 ft. it was absolutly breathtaking. After leaving the oark we rode to Aspen through Independance pass. we crossed the continental divide and then through the rest of the pass up and down mtn peaks and around many switchbacks anc curves. it was an amazing ride. we stopped for the night in aspen. the next morning it was out of the mountains and south to durango,co for the night. we partied with some locals and the next morning were off early. we entered New Mexico from farmington and started heading south through the Navajo Nation Indian Reservation. About 65 miles from farmington we had a blow out of the rear tire. Here i am talking to roadside assistance Many people stopped along the way including my new friend BILL NOURSE. He and his wife were on their way to a rally. they stopped and tried to get ahold of a friend to bring a trailer for us but they were not home. we stood around waiting for our tow chatting for about an hour. I finally told bill to get going with the rest of his day that the tow truck should be there soon. Well they left and it was another 2 1/2 hours we waited in the desert for the truck. We didnt get back on the road til 5 pm. Exhausted from the day we rode to holbrook Arizona where we stopped for the night. the next day we rode up to the Grand Canyo's south rim where we stayed for 2 days. pictures do not due the canyon justice, you must see it for yourself. The riding in this area is fabulous, and views are even better. we took a helicopter ride over the canyon and hiked into it. as well as riding around the rim. after our short 2 days we got back onto the bike and headed for Vegas. We stopped at the Hoover Dam and on we went through boulder city and the black mountains and into Vegas. We dropped the bike off at the HD dealer to be shipped home and enjoyed 4 days of rest and relaxation at the bellagio.

Old 09-08-2005, 12:30 PM
screamn_eagle
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default RE: Denver to Las Vegas...WOW

as a quick note we traveled 1500 miles in 5 days of riding. HOG roadside called us every 1/2 hour till we were picked up, and if it werent for bill and his wife i would have never found this site or met a nicer bunch of people. i highly recomend a ride through the rocky mountains and the garnd canyon. i will try to get some more pics of our trip down loaded soon

Old 09-08-2005, 04:09 PM
12Stones
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Those are some great pics and it sounds like you had a great time. Thanks for sharing. Sorry about the unfortunate blow out...but sometimes things like that make a good story great.

Old 12-13-2005, 03:05 AM
bobcowan
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice machine, great ride. This is my neck of the woods, I live on Colorado Springs. I've ridden thousands of miles throught the rockies. I recognize many of those pictures

Last spring I rode out to Vegas. Took all the back roads through CO, AZ, and UT. What a great trip that was.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:04 AM
Grover
Administrator Emeritus

Received 252 Likes on 122 Posts

Beautiful country in Colorado.

I was in Durango, Colorado for 3 weeks in 2002 working the Missionary Ridge Fire. Great town and freindly folks.

Old 12-13-2005, 11:09 AM
Coaster
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 15 Likes on 14 Posts

Cool pics. Sounds like a great trip. And just where has Scott aka screamn_eagle been lately? Haven't seen you posting?

Old 12-13-2005, 11:16 AM
Mrkicks
Road Warrior
Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Hey Scott, I was begining to wonder what happened to you. Your pics look great, it must have been a heck of an adventure for you both. I'll be in Orlando for NADA in February, and was thinking of renting a bike for a day or two. Maybe I'll take a ride to Ft. Lauderdale or we can meet in the middle. Hope all is well!

Kicks