Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

help planning next years trip highway thru 1 Canada

Search this Thread

Old 07-11-2014, 09:52 PM
smokingpig
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default help planning next years trip highway thru 1 Canada

well this years trip is over, and this is a rough idea of what i want to plan for next year...

https://www.google.com/maps/dir/Port...4515!3e0?hl=en

Portland Oregon to Vancouver BC, to Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada, back to Mt Rushmore, Red Lodge MT over Beartooth Pass, over to Stanley Idaho, then over highway 21 to Boise, then back to Portland Oregon.

i plan on seeing the following for sure...

Banff
Thunder bay, Ontario
Lake Louise
Spiral tunnel

Mt Rushmore, Chief Joseph & Badlands
Bearthood Pass
Highway 75 & 21 in Idaho
Probably back thru central Oregon if not too tired at that point

i'm sure there is more to see on this route in Canada, looking for suggestions/ideas...

route suggestions from Sault Ste. Marie, ON, Canada to Mt Rushmore? things to see?

I realize this is probably at least a 6,000 mile trip, probably a little more... planning on 2 weeks... its a pretty aggressive trip, i just did a 4,000 mile trip in 9 days so i know what i'm up against.

will be camping most of the way, KOA's when possible.

Last edited by smokingpig; 07-11-2014 at 09:59 PM.
Old 01-01-2015, 11:23 AM
COWBOY1296
Cruiser
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default Back to Canada

I live in the Colorado Rockies but there is something about the Canadian Rockies that keep calling me back. I am going back next September. If you get the chance Harrison Hot Springs is just east of Vancouver and is extremely beautiful.

Attached Thumbnails help planning next years trip highway thru 1 Canada-harrison-hot-springs.jpg  
Old 01-01-2015, 11:35 AM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

From Kamloops go to Jasper then down to Lake Louise. There is some scenery there you won't soon forget.

Old 01-01-2015, 12:57 PM
nickthecanuck
Cruiser
Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts
Default Riding in BC

Hey, thought I'd give you a couple tips for your portion in BC.

Obviously you'll need to cover quite a few miles, so feel free to disregard the suggestion. Your route takes you from Vancouver to Hope, and then on Highway 5 (Coquihalla Hwy) to Kamloops, then East from there. It's a good highway if you're in a hurry, it's the fastest freeway in the province (75 MPH), but it's pretty bland. If you want a more interesting drive with a lot more twists and curves, stay on the TransCanada, Hwy 1 past Hope towards Cache Creek. You'll hit the Fraser Canyon, it's beautiful. If you want a LOT of twisties, take Highway 8 East from Spences Bridge to Merritt, then Highway 5A from Merritt to Kamloops. You'll end up taking a longer ride, but you'll enjoy it a lot more. But if you just want to put miles behind you, stick to Highway 5 and you'll cover a ton of ground. A ton of boring, straight ground, a lot like riding the Interstate.

Also, your route goes right through downtown Vancouver (obviously that's just where Google Maps takes you). I'm guessing you don't want to ride right through downtown traffic; if you don't really want/need to go right into Vancouver, you'd save some time by skipping it and going directly north to Abbotsford and meeting the TransCanada there. (You may have already considered this, but in case you hadn't, I thought I'd mention it).

Sounds like an awesome trip!

Old 01-03-2015, 12:59 PM
Roadghost
Road Warrior
Received 632 Likes on 288 Posts

Was at the motorcycle show today and saw this:

www.ridelakesuperior.com

Check out their maps section.