Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Headed thru the Escalante-Staircase tomorrow

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2014, 06:07 PM
Dirtbagger
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Headed thru the Escalante-Staircase tomorrow

We're headed from Zion thru UT12 over Escalante-Staircase Monument and then East on 24. Any suggestions on what to see on the way? We didn't want to drive by something that was right there... Also, Should we stay in Torrey or Hanksville?

Old 06-10-2014, 07:19 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

Yes.....BRYCE CANYON......on the way.....just as good as Zion, viewed from the top...like the Grand Canyon.....two different parks.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:02 PM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

Cool. Do you know of a specific spot? Or is it all good up there. We won't be getting to the Grand Canyon this trip so your suggestion sounds great.

Old 06-10-2014, 08:41 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

You will be on 12 going to 89 south to Zion, right after you pass Cannonville and Tropic ........Bryce Canyon is right there.

Attached Thumbnails Headed thru the Escalante-Staircase tomorrow-image.jpg  
Old 06-10-2014, 08:44 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior

Here's a picture

Attached Thumbnails Headed thru the Escalante-Staircase tomorrow-image.jpg  
Old 06-10-2014, 11:11 PM
AtticusFinch
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 132 Posts

If you're coming FROM Zion, the turnoff to Bryce is shortly after you turn off of 89 onto 12. There will be plenty of signs. You won't miss it. If you have time, take one of the hikes. The rangers will give you a good recommendation based on your fitness and the amount of time you can spend.

There are lots of good hikes in that area. Another one I've heard great things about but not personally done (but am planning to do need week) is Calf Creek.

Another great ride is the Burr trail. When you come into the town of Boulder from the west the road turns north. Right at that turn you can keep going straight onto a road called the Burr Trail. I haven't traveled the entire length (yet) and I think it might eventually become a dirt road. I goes to Bullfrog Marina on Lake Powell. The sites there are incomparable. I would not miss that (at least the paved portion) if I were in the area, especially if it was a one time visit.

You will also be very close to Goblin Valley State park. I've not seen anything like it any other place. If you have time, you should definitely check that out. It's north of Hanksville.

Whether to stay in Torrey or Hanksville will depend on how much time you're wanting to spend at each stop along the way. I think there's enough to see that it would be wise to plan on staying in Torrey, or even in Escalante.

Old 06-10-2014, 11:58 PM
TwinCooled
Banned
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Stay in Torrey area, there aint crap in Hanksville or Escalante, really! You will thank me for this advice. The Escalante Staircase is an awesome ride, we just did it last week. Zion is more of a drive through, not much stopping type as opposed to Bryce where you have time to stop, hike and take a deep breath. Enjoy!

Last edited by TwinCooled; 06-11-2014 at 12:04 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 12:27 AM
2002flstc
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

when you take 12 towards Bryce be sure to check your rear view mirrors as you will be riding through Red Canyon which is better seen riding West. Bryce Canyon is a must, if you have the time ride to the end of the road and take in the views coming out. Make sure you stop at the overlooks on the way to Capitol Reef some great views. Stay in Torrey... Hanksville has nothing to offer.

Last edited by 2002flstc; 06-11-2014 at 02:18 AM.
Old 06-11-2014, 09:33 AM
Dirtbagger
Advanced

Thanks All of you guys!
We hope to make lots of stops and by staying in Torrey gives us another hour. AtticusFinch, we hope to get to some of those side trips, very nice suggestions. I am getting the idea that we need to make this trip again! Wasn't expecting the roads to be so nice and we are finding that we really need to take time riding here, it is not a blast thru type of area for sure!

All, we get the picture on staying in Torrey. Will do.

TwinCooled, we'll make as many stops in Bryce as we can. Odd that when I was planning, I somehow thought Zion was the destination. Now I am beginning to think otherwise.

We DID have a great time in Zion though. We went up 9 thru the canyon for the sunset canyon overlook yesterday. Amazing views and quite the hike up the hill.

Old 06-11-2014, 10:23 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

When I was there I rode right past Bryce on 12. I don't hike though unless I'm hunting so I didn't mind lol

Quick Reply: Headed thru the Escalante-Staircase tomorrow