Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Windsor Ontario

Search this Thread

Old 05-25-2014 | 02:32 PM
2001 FLHCRI
|
Advanced
Default Windsor Ontario

I know everyone posts about their amazing trips, most make me very envious because I do not have enough time to take trips of that length. However, yesterday the wife and I had the day off together, something rare, and decided to break in our passports and take a day trip to Windsor ON. The bike is still brand new with only 1700 miles so this was also a great ride to determine what changes to the set-up from stock may help.

Well, we left Toledo early...ok, not so early due to day off sleep in disease, but we were still on the road by 10:00. Quick run north to Detroit with one short stop to top off the tank (fuel in canada is $5.10 CA for regular) before the border. The border is where it became fun for us, we have been up and down I-75 enough times that it is a really boring run, but I haven't been over the Ambassador Bridge since 1990 and this was the wife's first trip over that bridge ever. Although, I do have to note, it is in very bad disrepair and needs millions in upkeep.

We got over the bridge and into Windsor without any problems, other than sweating profusely in line. Once we entered Windsor I realized I had no plan on where we were going, other than to sightsee and cruise a little. So I headed straight up the main road from the bridge and about a mile or so up on the right is a Harley dealership. Couldn't pass up the opportunity to see how the Canadian dealers present stuff, and the wife wanted some coffee anyway.

Well, the dealer ship was typical Harely dealer...I am beginning to think their marketing department was hired away from McDonalds or somewhere similar. Although, to be fair, if a technique for sales works, why not reproduce it everywhere. The prices on their bikes was slightly higher than in Ohio...however I don't know the exchange rate but I doubt it is $10,000 difference between bikes here and there. At those prices I would be riding a used Honda if I lived up there, no way I could pay that much.

So we took off and proceeded to randomly cruise around Windsor and the surrounding neighborhoods. There are some very nice homes and neighborhoods close to downtown, makes you wonder who built those homes way back in the 1800's. And of course there were some less than average neighborhoods also but overall Windsor is a nice, clean and very accessible city.

As normally happens, I started getting hungry a soon as I saw some restaraunts that looked good. We pulled into one lot but it was full and I was not parking my brand new bike at some back lot half a block away. So we continued up the street to start heading home and ran across a block that had two oriental food choices...my preference. We parked and I asked the wife which one she wanted to try, one had blue lettering on the building the other red. She decided that blue was good and we headed that way...thankfully on the door they had a sign stating that they do not take credit cards, and I rarely carry cash and if I do I don't spend it on lunch. So, we divert to the "red" one and walk inside.

Upon entering the first thing I ask the waitress (later found out it was the owner) if they take credit cards...and they do. So we sit down and began perusing the menu. Now my wife was a cook for almost twenty years and is very **** about clean restaraunts and food sanitation. So upon sitting down, she immediately comments on the A/C vents and the recessed can lighting. She mentions that they are literally spotless, there are no signs of dust, dirt or cobwebs. The floors are spotless, as is the entire restaraunt. We found out later that they actually have a 5 star rating from the health department.

Well, I could write an entire book about our experience at this place, but suffice to say it was one of the best Chinese meals I have had in years if not ever. The quality of the ingreadients was obviously fresh and well chosen, the presentation was spot on and the portions were slightly more than I could eat, but not enough to make me feel wasteful for not cleaning my plate. The owner is truly a character, she really adds to the ambience and the overall dining experience. In case you are ever in Windsor, the place is called Tantalizing Asian Cuisine at 560 Wyandotte st West...it is worth the stop.

So, after eating...and letting it settle a bit, we decided it was time to get back to the dog, he was probably crossing his legs by now. We returned the same way, over the bridge...although the U.S. Border Patrol are not as friendly as the Canadian ones, although I know they have a very serious job to perform, there are differences that are beyond the job.

Overall, it was a very nice mini-trip to another country, great lunch and perfect day to ride...although I did forget sunblock on the trip back, so I do have a slight burn, but it was worth it for the ride.

I think the next run will be to Sandusky and see how an old man fares on the rides...I know the wife won't touch them...and I may regret doing it, but I have to try.