Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Just Back BRP...something to think about....

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2014 | 08:52 PM
Bigblueh20
|
Cruiser
Default Just Back BRP...something to think about....

So as I mentioned previously that I was headed up to the Skyline and Blue Ridge Parkway this week...Well, I made the trip and I am home earlier than expected..Not because I wanted to be home....but weather and other circumstances prevailed.

I'm writing this summary with the hope that I help a fellow rider when planning their "once in a lifetime trip"...btw, definitely not my once in a lifetime - but thats how I phrase it to my wife.....

So originally i was going to do this trip solo, however, after speaking with a few people they recommended that I take someone along for the ride...Just in case, as I am a fairly new rider and not very familiar with a lot of the things that could go wrong...therefore I extended the invitation to a few people...some I knew well, others as having met them four or five times before, sharing a cigar while discussing bikes and trips...unfortunately one guy jumped right on the offer, we discussed the trip, what to pack, when to leave, when we were coming back etc....We did not discuss riding style...big oversight on my part. As I am comfortable cruising along rte 81 at 75-80 mph anything above that and i am reaching - I definitely don't like cruising at 85 mph for an extended period of time - passing trucks and cars, I understand the need...but I just don't enjoy 85-90 mph....unfortunately the guy I was with does....So at the first stop I told him "listen, you cruise at what you feel comfortable and I will cruise at what speed I am comfortable and we will meet up at such and such a stop".....Not sure if this sat well with the guy or not - but in the end that's his problem...Anyway to make a long story short on top of the speed thing this guy had lets say a "different agenda when it came to getting high from the Smokie Mtn fresh air"!!!! Also enjoyed a lot of beverages but not from the natural Springs....which is fine with me, but when it impacts me - I have a problem with it....

So after putting up with enough BS I finally told this seasoned veteran rider (40 years experience)...that in his best interest I was on my own...seriously I was close to knocking him the fk out. I'm not normally a violent guy - but this guy definitely put me over the top...So I left him at a gas station (dont feel bad for him - this guy has ridden cross country 2x by himself - I now know why. I have 4,000 miles riding experience under my belt and was now going solo 550 miles from home!!!)...so what I am saying is...if you are planning trip with other people, find out how they ride, maybe ride with them before you go out on a journey, see how they behave, feel the person out...I had planned 5-6 days with this person...day 1 he got straightened out and day 2 he almost got knocked out...like I said I'm not normally a tough guy, I always give people the benefit of the doubt - but this was getting worse by the day (and he still had a full bottle of Jack and Vodka)....I screwed up...lesson learned. Next time I do this trip I go with someone I know real well....

So now for the ride, we ran from NYC taking 78 TO 81 to Front Royal Va. We stayed at the Hampton Inn - real nice place - clean...we ate at the Holiday Inn Houlihans - good place! We ran the entire Skyline and then jumped on the BRP to Roanoke. The parkways were basically deserted - not many cars or bikes...saw 2 black bears probably a half dozen deer, saw a speedster take a spill around one of the turns (ambulance was loading him in when we arrived - cop said he was hurt but going to be OK)....The weather was spotty along the way, real warm, seemed to be on the skirt of quite a few different thunderstorms, came across several spots where the roads were wet but rain had passed. Really didn't get rained on - which was nice. Once in Roanake and I finally parted ways with the "other guy" I headed over to the Best Western - bike friendly hotel....room was nice....front desk staff were really helpful...had dinner at the TGIF Fridays two minutes away...great wings!!! Woke up this morning and cranked out the 550 miles home, once again riding along the outskirts of numerous thunderstorms.... no traffic till Brooklyn!!!

Hope my next adventure has a better outcome...think I am going back to the BRP. Probably start where I left off.....be safe. BB

Old 05-14-2014 | 09:19 PM
beammeup
Road Master

That's one you won't forget

Old 05-14-2014 | 10:00 PM
wuaname
Road Captain

Lol. That's got to suck riding with someone like that

Old 05-15-2014 | 03:57 AM
slapshot12
Road Warrior

It can be hard to find people you like to ride with. I have a couple very good friends who ride, but I hate riding with them. They are very similar to your partner. I can tolerate an afternoon at best with them on the road. I'd never, ever plan a week long trip with them.

I agree 100% you need to find people you not only like, but have the same riding style, expectations, etc as you do. I have a few friends I would ride anywhere with, otherwise, I'd be just as happy riding solo or with my wife on back.Every trip

I look at it this way....every trip is an adventure. Some trips are amazing, others suck. The ones that suck make the amazing ones that much better. Every trip we've gone on has taken us to places we'd never think of going to. We see great sights and usually meet some great people along the way. I can only control me, can't control others and darn sure am at the mercy of mother nature. I go to make myself happy and that's it.

We took our first long trip not too long ago. They do get easier. You'll learn what works for you, where you like to ride, and all of the fine details of taking trips. I'm still learning myself, it's all part of the adventure.

Last edited by slapshot12; 05-15-2014 at 04:02 AM.
Old 05-15-2014 | 06:08 AM
9one1
Tourer

Lesson learned! That sucks man!

Old 05-15-2014 | 06:24 AM
Jswerve
Outstanding HDF Member

Here's a list of ppl I ride with:

Heading out to the Smokies in 5 weeks just me and the wife on the back of the bike. Looking forward to riding where we want, when we want, and how we want.

Sorry you had a bad experience I am guessing your list of ppl you ride with in the future will look like my current list.

Rubber side down.

Old 05-15-2014 | 06:25 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member

Sorry to read about your misfortune with this guy.

2 rules for me before I start riding on vacation trips with somebody.

1. Talk about Speeding, Drinking and Spending Habits.

2. Go on day trip and observe on how good this motorcyclist is.

If he/she jokes a lot about #1. That's something to ponder on and about.

In regards to #1 and #2, I then decide and finalize whether it's worth taking the risk and chance to ride with this person.

I have observed and booted a few even we never went on vacation trip. Just knew that he wasn't the one to deal with.

Just my 2 cents,

Thorey

Old 05-15-2014 | 06:43 AM
Allen Framen
Novice

A good riding companion is an MVP! (most valuable person)

AF

Old 05-15-2014 | 08:04 AM
Lucky1958
Cruiser
Default riding partners

This can be tough. I have a group that I travel with but they all are experienced riders and we have logged lots of miles togather.
We ride pretty hard most of the time.
If one of our wives is having a bad day we all slow down and take it easy.
Its a huge give and take.
I feel lucky to have friends I can ride with and no pressure and they feel none either.

Old 05-15-2014 | 08:25 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master

Cant wait to read the post from "the other guy" - LOL

At least you didn't fall into the trap of riding above your skill level.

Quick Reply: Just Back BRP...something to think about....