Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Just Back BRP...something to think about....

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2014 | 08:44 AM
road king Q
Road Master

two of my best riding buds in the past always made me lead, so... never really been in that pickle

Parting was probably a good thing

Old 05-15-2014 | 11:29 AM
GeneseeGap
Road Master

Sounds like an overall good trip!
I used to work the night shift and got off at 530am and rode home with 2 other guys on larger bikes and they were older guys.
We rode home together for years!
35 miles on the highway, sometimes 5 days a week...but never social.
At times some younger guys would join us but most would roar off after a few miles because we were too slow (we always cruised about 10 over the limit).
A bad group can be a bad trip.
Sounds like you handled it well and didn't resort to violence!

Old 05-15-2014 | 11:53 AM
angelrod
Road Captain

Sometimes it's better to ride alone long Distance . And on occasions to meet some cool guys on the road .doing same thing .i just came from a rode trip my self California to Chicago .5 days off fun.And going to New Orleans this week.

Old 05-15-2014 | 10:25 PM
Mike_M
Road Master

Originally Posted by tOSUSteve
At least you didn't fall into the trap of riding above your skill level.
Yep, this.

Always ride your own ride, and don't be afraid to part ways if the riding styles don't match.

Old 05-16-2014 | 12:21 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

I remember your earlier posts. It's to bad because the best riding was still a couple of hundred miles south of you. To put some perspective on this, I've been riding 47 years and can only count to six the amount of guys that I would do a serious long distance ride with.

Finding a good riding partner is a God send and not all that easy to find. Don't be afraid to ride solo, sooner or later the right rider will come along. Or not. There are advantages to riding by yourself.

Old 05-16-2014 | 12:32 PM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member

and that's why when Dan and I take our vacation this year there won't be anyone else with us.

He wanted to invite other people and I said no. This is our trip and as soon as we invite others it turns into their trip. I want to go the speed we want, for the amount of miles we see fit and stop whenever it suits us.

Old 05-16-2014 | 02:45 PM
Bigblueh20
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
I remember your earlier posts. It's to bad because the best riding was still a couple of hundred miles south of you. To put some perspective on this, I've been riding 47 years and can only count to six the amount of guys that I would do a serious long distance ride with.

Finding a good riding partner is a God send and not all that easy to find. Don't be afraid to ride solo, sooner or later the right rider will come along. Or not. There are advantages to riding by yourself.
Words of wisdom...I have 2-3 guys that mentored me into this hobby...good people....both on MC's and in life....unfortunately they work! But when we can ride we ride!!! Btw, I made the best of a bad situation and enjoyed the crap out of the 200 miles on Skyline and BRP...but definitely want to continue...My next visit Im going to shoot down 81 and jump back on where I left off...SOLO!

Old 05-16-2014 | 03:40 PM
mike in dallas
Road Master

The Last 3 years we have done trips with 2 to 3 other couples. No one could go this year. So off we went to the Smokey MTNS. It really was quite nice. We stopped when we felt like it, ate where we wanted to without having to get a group vote. So as much fun as we had the last few years... this trip was a blast.

Old 05-16-2014 | 04:14 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master

Bigblueh20, BTW I grew up and worked pretty much all my adult life 14 miles west of midtown. In the '60's I went to school and rode in NYC. Don't think that with only 4,000 miles you don't have serious experience. You do. You have survivor skills.

Ride solo any freakin' where you like. You don't need poser drunks to guide you.

Old 05-16-2014 | 04:25 PM
Bigblueh20
|
Cruiser

Originally Posted by BUZZARD II
Bigblueh20, BTW I grew up and worked pretty much all my adult life 14 miles west of midtown. In the '60's I went to school and rode in NYC. Don't think that with only 4,000 miles you don't have serious experience. You do. You have survivor skills.

Ride solo any freakin' where you like. You don't need poser drunks to guide you.
Thanks for that Buzzard II! I'm already making plans for next weeks 1,000 mile ride!!! SOLO! I may change my screen name to, you guessed it, SOLO!!!! ha ha. If you can survive the cages of Long Island and Brooklyn you can drive almost anywhere!!!! Its amazing whenever I come back from a nice ride anywhere 100 miles North of the city....once you enter that perimeter...50 miles from the epicenter of NYC...how pissed off you become at the drivers around you! They suck...arrogant bastards who dont give a damn about the guy next to you....and 90% of them are texting or talking...Although I do plan on taking a ride into Manhattan next week to visit the memorial....I am a WTC survivor!

Quick Reply: Just Back BRP...something to think about....