Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tent advice

Search this Thread

Old 05-09-2014, 06:06 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I looked for the largest "cheap" dome tent I could find. I got a 8x10 for about $55. I found out two things over the last 3 years of bike camping. The larger tents allow you to bring in a chair inside to allow you to wait out thunderstorms. Second, if your older like me, get a tent that is 72" tall at the center. It helps when getting dressed. At my age, rolling around trying to my jeans on is a pain.

Old 05-09-2014, 07:05 PM
riteway
Extreme HDF Member
Received 988 Likes on 679 Posts
Talking

What TV's you guy's bring....J/K!!!!!!! :-)

Ive been thru a lot of tents thru-ought the years.some i still have but ive been considering splurging on a new one...when i was younger and backpacked i brought a small roll out mat to sleep on,that was fine for when i was...well...Younger!!!
Now on the bike i find these new battery operated blowup mattresses to be were its at and the best part is they HOLD air.... :-) I also have a nice small camp chair that is well worth the extra room it takes...
Just a side note...One thing i never go cheap on is a flashlight...Small and powerful...Hopefully you never need it but if you do...Repairs,emergency,reading whatever..You will be glad you got a good and powerful one... Happy Trails and Camping... :-)

Old 05-09-2014, 07:17 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,296 Likes on 2,901 Posts

More expensive than you stated but the Redverz series II expedition tent is the cats a**

Old 05-09-2014, 07:19 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,158 Likes on 3,674 Posts

Hampton Inn is my favorite brand of tent

Old 05-11-2014, 10:19 PM
Bricklayer
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 2,831 Likes on 1,471 Posts

Have a Eureka Apex 2 (2 man), 2 large vestibules very happy with it. Stood up to some heavy weather in Sturgis last year, weather that blew some of the probably $50 tents away. Around $110.

Old 05-12-2014, 09:34 AM
Allison Wunderland
Banned
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Something not so far discussed here. What's the difference between the $150 tent and the one at Big 5 selling for $35 ???

Mostly, the more expensive tents are lighter, and offer features designed for extreme weather. The high-end "designer" outdoor recreational outlets (REI) specify "two season" and "four season" in their tents. The "four season" tent is intended for winter camping, wind, snow, heavy rain. These tents provide storm flies, more tie down options, more vents, and are generally intended for mountain camping in remote and adverse conditions. These higher end tents also feature alloy poles, lighter weight, more compact design.

On a motorcycle, I just want something to keep the bugs off, a structured bag with a zipper where I can unload and stash my gear. The "cheap" $35 tent from Big 5, will keep your stuff dry in damp weather. Typically it's heavier, less compact. Poles are steel, or fiberglass, even plastic. These tents are not going to shelter you on a mountain ridge, through a snow storm, or blizzard. There's a good chance you're not going to be riding/camping in any of these weather conditions.

Last count, I have five tents -- smallest is a one person, just slightly larger than a sleeping bag, very compact, very light, and expensive.

I have a "stand up" size tent. It's probably 30 lbs, packs up to the size of a small duffel bag, will fit on the bike if I don't have a rider. I can stand it it, pull on my pants. Standing is a nice option, but generally this tent is larger than I want to stow on a bike.

Cheap and expensive "two person" tents -- Expensive is lighter, more vents, features, lighter poles, more stable in high wind. Cheap does it all unless it's storming nasty, and wind blowing. Cheap is a bit more complicated to set up, not quite as refined in features like inside storage pockets, space to stow boots, etc. in a "porch" area.

Favorite tent for the bike is a cheap 3 person. I think I found this at Big 5 (or GI Joe's before they went out of business). About $40, it's the basic set up. Fiberglass poles, not quite as "sturdy" in a wind as the expensive 2 person. But more than adequate for summer rides on the bike.

Nice to have the extra space inside for gear! In the summer, I've used this tent without the rain fly -- keeps the mosquitoes off, allows sleeping under the stars, open sky. With a rain fly, I can close up this tent in a public camp, (state park), secure my gear, and no one knows if I'm inside sleeping or out getting breakfast at the local restaurant. It's secure for public camping. (I've never had problems with theft in state camp grounds.)

Sleeping pads -- I'd been using a Therma-Rest, self inflating, 3/4 pad. Most of the night spent looking for it, rolling off it. I opted for an Intex, Queen Size air mattress. The Intex inflates from a pump that runs off the ciggie butt lighter socket on the bike. It covers the floor of the tent, full-size so I don't roll off. But mostly it's 8 1/2" deep, and actually cushions me at night, This added comfort is very nice. My hard-core mountaineering days are behind me. I need a MATTRESS, not a sleeping pad.

Last edited by Allison Wunderland; 05-12-2014 at 09:39 AM.