Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

New England

Search this Thread

Old 03-23-2014 | 11:56 AM
davidwruth
|
Outstanding HDF Member
Default New England

Looking for to do ideas or to see ideas. Going to New England this year the week before Laconia. Looking for ideas in Maine and New Hampshire. Planning on hitting Laconia on opening day.

Old 03-23-2014 | 12:34 PM
Doublerunner
Cruiser

NH has lots of great areas to ride. Anywhere in the White Mtns. Some great views along the highway but I love to get off onto any side roads up there. Riding around Lake Winnipesauke is great and also a little further north is Squam Lake and some great riding around there. If you want a great dinner and are in that area you have to go to The Common Man or the Italian Farmhouse. Both owned by the same person and have great food and atmosphere and have been around a long time. The Kancamagus Highway is a must and also cruising through the Franconia Notch area is very scenic. You might also consider going up to the top of Mt Washington, but check weather conditions first. It can get extremely windy and cold, even then, and could be quote dangerous on a bike. We were in that area last year mid-July and it was too windy and cold at the top to try it on the bike

If travelling from NH to Maine you might want to go up route 1A and when you come over the bridge into Maine check out the Kittery Trading Post and that area.

Old 03-24-2014 | 04:59 PM
Red 62
Intermediate

The Kancamagus Highway is a must and also cruising through the Franconia Notch area is very scenic. Drive up Mt Washington. NH has a lot of great places to ride.

Old 03-24-2014 | 06:38 PM
rugerman63
Cruiser

bring along some good rain gear.. was up there last june, rained 28 days out of 32... still had a great time. the riding up there is almost as good as the BRP...

Old 03-24-2014 | 06:48 PM
Chief21
Cruiser

The Kangamangus is definately a great ride. Mt.Washington is too. The way this winter is going though there might still be snow on the Auto Road though. The Western mountains of Maine are a short trip from the Mt.Washington/Gorham,NH area and there is some nice riding there too. Watch for the damn moose!! Spring brings them to the roadside to get away from the blackflies and lick the salt from the side of the roads.

Whatever you decide, enjoy and ride safe!!

Old 03-24-2014 | 06:49 PM
Puglia10
Road Warrior

what the previous guys said, NH's white mountains offer a lot of great riding …Also, depending on how much time you have, lake george and lake placid area are really nice (upstate NY/VT border)

EDIT: I made a similar thread a while ago you might want to read for some more help...https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...and-rides.html

Old 03-27-2014 | 05:18 PM
Red 62
Intermediate

Laconia I hope you have all your reservations in order if not doubt you will find a place close. I have not been in a few year but it's crowded. Bikes get hot in traffic an there is plenty of sitting in it. Weir Beach is the place to go but traffic is 2 to 3 miles backed up all day and all night.

Old 03-27-2014 | 05:21 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master

Bar Harbor in Maine with a trip through the national park next to the ocean is a great ride. Plenty of scenic areas up there. While in ME don't forget to visit LL Bean in Freeport. Lots of good riding around that area as well.

Old 03-31-2014 | 12:14 AM
9one1
Tourer

From Conway NH take RT113 east into Maine, once you are in Maine Rt113 goes north all the way to RT2. This a great stretch of road and some of it was just paved when I rode it in Oct.

Here are some pics of that stretch...

Then take RT2 west back into NH to RT16S

Pic on RT2

RT16 south goes past the Mt Washington Auto Road. During Bike week they shut the road down to all traffic except motorcycles. It's usually a mid week and a must do.

Here are some pics of that...

It turns to dirt near the top..

That's Rt16 down on the bottom...

That little ribbon is the road...

After Mt Washington continue south on RT16 to RT 302 and you can go west/north on RT 302 towards Crawford Notch then take RT3 south to I93 south and through Franconia Notch. Follow that until RT 112 and head back east towards Conway again. That stretch of RT112 from Lincoln to Conway is known as the Kancamagus Hwy.

That is a good 3/4 of a day ride especially if you make a lot of stops and take pics.

Lots of nice areas in my state!!

Old 03-31-2014 | 01:09 PM
silent1
Road Warrior

I can't wait for the great snow melt of 2014 to end so I can get up there. Those pics look awesome.

OP - be sure to bring rain gear. June is known for being rainy around here.

Quick Reply: New England