Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

5.75 days from Rapid City to Chicago

Search this Thread

Old 03-20-2014, 11:21 AM
bballkking1
Cruiser
Received 41 Likes on 24 Posts
Default 5.75 days from Rapid City to Chicago

I have a trip planned to ride from Chicago to the Black Hills with my girlfriend on the back of the bike. We will leave Chicago during the middle of July and 7 days later she will be flying out of the Rapid City airport to get home for work. We will have at least 3 full days to ride in the Black Hills area. I have those rides pretty well decided and will be hitting Mt. Rushmore, Custer Park and the loop, Nemo Hwy, Spearfish, Sturgis, Deadwood, Devils Tower and other places in the area. I will be dropping her off at the airport in Rapid City on a Tuesday morning and am trying to decide what I should do with the 5.75 days I will have to get back to Chicago for work on Monday.

I Am considering either spending more days solo in the Black Hills area or doing a loop West through Yellowstone and down into Colorado before heading east and heading back to Chicago. I I appreciate any advice and recommendations about how to spend these 5.75 days. I don't want to race anywhere or feel crunched for time come Saturday or Sunday but I'm not afraid of 400 to 500 mile days.

Old 03-20-2014, 11:32 AM
carcruizer1955
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thats a tough choice. I think I would head down to CO. IMO. Ride around the Rockies and Estes Park. Great riding around there.

Old 03-20-2014, 01:14 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

Went to Yellowstone after Sturgis last year, worth every second to get there. Really amazing place. After that loop up to Glacier National Park, or down to Colorado as described.

Either way will be a great trip.

Old 03-20-2014, 04:56 PM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

Nearest rooms to YNP could be Cody so figure Black Hills to Cody as one day. Cody to Old Faithful via Cody Canyon is about 100 miles so plan your day accordingly. I'd take Cody to YNP via Chief Joseph Hwy and come in the north side at Cooke City. It's a little longer but on of the 2 best rides in the area, the other being Beartooth. The park is laid out in a big figure 8 so if time permits you can see a lot of the park. I'd exit at Fishing Bridge and through Cody Canyon back. It'll be a big day but doable. Given your time, you might have to pick and choose your stops. Remember it's tourist season and the speed limit in the park is 45 MPH and enforced. If you come up on a herd of bison, don't follow the car ahead of you through. Let him go first and when he's clear you go. If you follow him in, 9 times out of 10 he'll stop in the middle to take a picture from the safety of his car. Hope you have a great trip.

Old 03-20-2014, 05:14 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 2,305 Likes on 1,344 Posts

Head over to Yellowstone across the Bighorn Mountains. Spend the night in Cody, Wyoming at the Irma Hotel. You are a very short ride to Yellowstone from Cody, but you won't make any high milage days in the Yellowstone area. Beartooth is a good ride. From Cody you can do a nice highway that I haven't done and end up in Red Lodge, Montana. I don't think you will have enough time to do Yellowstone and dip down into Colorado. Just too much to see in Yellowstone and Colorado. As mentioned in the previous post, Chief Joseph Highway is listed as a great ride.

Last edited by jmorganroadglide; 03-20-2014 at 05:17 PM.
Old 03-21-2014, 08:05 AM
harleyflyboy
Road Warrior
Received 32 Likes on 20 Posts

Yellowstone and the Beartooth Highway in both directions, then down to Jackson Hole an poke around.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:12 PM
doc ock
Road Master
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

You plan on spending 3 days with your gal, might as well go see something new. I would head off to Colorado for the remainder.

Old 03-21-2014, 05:24 PM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I went down through Colorado after leaving Devil's Tower. I remember beautiful roads, awesome scenery, but a lot of empty...meaning desolate places. I was with a buddy and that was more fun than doing those very long empty miles solo I think.

Old 03-21-2014, 06:49 PM
DK Custom
Platinum Sponsor
Received 4,198 Likes on 2,440 Posts

Originally Posted by bballkking1
I have a trip planned to ride from Chicago to the Black Hills with my girlfriend on the back of the bike. We will leave Chicago during the middle of July and 7 days later she will be flying out of the Rapid City airport to get home for work. We will have at least 3 full days to ride in the Black Hills area. I have those rides pretty well decided and will be hitting Mt. Rushmore, Custer Park and the loop, Nemo Hwy, Spearfish, Sturgis, Deadwood, Devils Tower and other places in the area. I will be dropping her off at the airport in Rapid City on a Tuesday morning and am trying to decide what I should do with the 5.75 days I will have to get back to Chicago for work on Monday.

I Am considering either spending more days solo in the Black Hills area or doing a loop West through Yellowstone and down into Colorado before heading east and heading back to Chicago. I I appreciate any advice and recommendations about how to spend these 5.75 days. I don't want to race anywhere or feel crunched for time come Saturday or Sunday but I'm not afraid of 400 to 500 mile days.
Sounds like a great trip!

If you have to cut any of those destinations out, I would recommend it be Custer Park. With all the great riding in the area, we were really disappointed by Custer Park.

Beartooth Pass is a must...just outside of Yellowstone.

You can see a few pics we took while there at this link-

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/tri-g...2013-a-33.html

Here's a vid of us going through Beartooth Pass-

DKCustomProducts.com
Call/Text: 662-252-8828
Email: Support@DKCustomProducts.com

Old 03-21-2014, 07:11 PM
heavymetalthunder
Grand HDF Member
Received 604 Likes on 439 Posts

I rode up to Yellowstone before the rally and then hit Stugis last year when the rally started. As good as riding is around the black hills. I enjoyed Wyoming and Montana and the surrounding areas more.
I was camping most of the time and it got down to the lower 30's a couple of mornings in Jellystone. Be prepared for any type of weather. It seems to blow in fast around there.
I'd ride up from Sturgis up to Yellowstone and ride Jackson Hole and the surrounding areas for as long as I could ride around up there.Then ride back to Chicago. As stated Bear tooth pass and St.Joesph Hiway are awesome. The entire trip was spectacular. I was gonna ride Colorado but decided to ride Colorado some other time.

Quick Reply: 5.75 days from Rapid City to Chicago