Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Horse Shoe Bridge at Grand Canyon

Search this Thread

Old 03-08-2014, 07:08 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,871 Posts
Default Horse Shoe Bridge at Grand Canyon

Planning a trip in the spring and I was wondering if any of the locals near Las Vegas can answer a few questions.

Is the road to the Horse Shoe Bridge fully paved?
I'm assuming that Kingman, AZ is probably the best and closest
town to this tourist attraction?

Old 03-09-2014, 08:16 AM
flhxkiller
Road Warrior
Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts

Are you talking about the Grand Canyon Skywalk? If you are, the road is not paved all the way there. Believe the nearest town to it is Peach Springs which is off Rt66 east of Kingman.

Last edited by flhxkiller; 03-09-2014 at 08:22 AM.
Old 03-09-2014, 11:32 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

A few years ago, I rented in Phoenix, and rode around for 3 days before a sales meeting. I asked about it also. A guy from Kingman (here on the forums) talked me out of it. It's not a national park, road is unpaved to get to a parking lot where you have to get a bus to get to the skywalk, and bikes are unsecure for a few hours. I didn't go. Decided to ride route 66 out to Oatman, and then came back & stayed overnight in Kingman. South rim the next day, and then rode down 89A out of Flagstaff, to Sedona. Overnight in Sedona. Skywalk sounded kinda cool to me, but decided not to go after I heard more about it.

Old 03-09-2014, 01:48 PM
steelbreeze
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

rode out to the road leading into the skywalk territory. motorists pulling out strongly advised us against it as the dust from the unpaved roads was horrendous. continued on to the Colorado river and then lake mead instead. scenery was incredible!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:42 AM
2ropes
Road Captain

I have been there, not on a bike, and as already mentioned very dusty and windy when I was there. Park and take the shuttle up to the walk; the walk itself was interesting but there are far more interesting things to do in the area. If I remember correctly that is kind of a one way ride in and out the same way so you will be back tracking a fair distance.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:02 PM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

The Grand Canyon Skywalk is a private attraction owned and operated by the Hualapai Tribe. You buy a ticket for admission and the only way to get there is to ride their shuttle bus at an additional cost, when my son went there a couple of years ago it was around $60 per person. I tried to find current pricing information on their website, but it's not straightforward. It's almost like they don't want you to know how much it's going to cost.

Old 03-11-2014, 07:43 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,341 Likes on 1,871 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
The Grand Canyon Skywalk is a private attraction owned and operated by the Hualapai Tribe. You buy a ticket for admission and the only way to get there is to ride their shuttle bus at an additional cost, when my son went there a couple of years ago it was around $60 per person. I tried to find current pricing information on their website, but it's not straightforward. It's almost like they don't want you to know how much it's going to cost.
From what I understand from their website it appears that the full cost of the "package" that will get you to the Horseshoe Bridge Walk is $ 86.81.
I guess I'll find out how badly my friend wants to walk on that bridge

Old 03-12-2014, 02:06 AM
ultracan
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 154 Likes on 147 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
My Uncle was there and said the same thing. VERY expensive and you are not even allowed to take pictures. You must pay to have a photographer that they have there take it for you.....at a cost of course.

Old 03-13-2014, 09:56 AM
LazySundays
Road Captain
Received 163 Likes on 103 Posts

I would not ride that road.

As for the skywalk, we went on a tour. Didn't pay the extra to go out on the skywalk. I think it was about $30 and you can't take your camera. If you go to the next lookout point on their private bus (the only way in and out), the view is actually much better and you don't have to pay extra

Old 03-13-2014, 08:11 PM
2ropes
Road Captain

They don't let you take anything out on the walk and you have to put little paper booties on over your shoes. We did it as a family, can't remember the cost but nothing was cheap anywhere around the Canyon.

Quick Reply: Horse Shoe Bridge at Grand Canyon