Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon this summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 11:16 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Tail of the Dragon this summer

I'm sitting here in Arizona planning my summer trip. I will be leaving from NY and headed to the Tail of the Dragon. We plan on doing the Moonshiner 28, Fugitive Dam, and a stop at a distillery or two. If the Corvette Museum is fixed, we will hit that too. Also, we will try to do the Triple Nickels in Ohio. We are making a circle from the Hudson Valley in NY, through Pa, then down into Va, N.C., Tenn., Kentucky, Ohio, and back to NY.

Any advice on places to see, roads to ride (or avoid), and info on the Tail would be helpful and appreciated.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:10 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

If I knew more about what general route you will be taking through Ky., I might could recommend a stop or two.

I'm heading down to the Dragon first of April. I haven't been in many years, but I've heard you really have to watch out for the tractor-trailers these days. They can't make a lot of the curves without taking up the whole road.

LiiT

Old 03-02-2014, 12:25 PM
SunPilot
Tourer

I have been reading about the truck problem...well, not much I can do about it except be careful.

We are going in early August and plan to ride back up through Bowling Green to Corvette Museum, and Clermont to Jim Beam Distillery, at least...then onto southern Ohio

Old 03-02-2014, 12:36 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Avoid Pigeon Forge during the rush hour main drag is a drag but some reasonable places to stay. Same with Gatlinburg but much quicker to get out of.
Ride the Nation park Outstanding and Free.
Ride Dragon early in the day. DealsGaps is the place to spend a few bucks food is great both sides of the road. Shirts and carp priced better than other places.
You will need more time than you think just to much to see and enjoy.
Good luck with your trip.
This years is Gordonsville VA/DC area for us

Old 03-02-2014, 12:40 PM
Wild Card
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

wheels through time museum in Maggie Valley is must.

Old 03-02-2014, 12:52 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
I have been reading about the truck problem...well, not much I can do about it except be careful.

We are going in early August and plan to ride back up through Bowling Green to Corvette Museum, and Clermont to Jim Beam Distillery, at least...then onto southern Ohio
You could do

http://kybourbontrail.com/

or

Take 64 out of Louisville to 75, go north a little bit and check out

http://kyhorsepark.com/

at Georgetown. Only a little out of your way if you were thinking of taking 71 north into S. Ohio. Just takes a few hours to see it and then you can hop back on 75 north and be in Cinn. in a very short while.

But I must tell you, you are absolutely missing the most beautiful parts of Ky. Come on out to the foothills of the Appalachians.

Just a fun FYI, the proper pronunciation is not apple- aa - sha.

It's like this old rhyme -

"Eve" said Adam "If you stray and I catch ya, I'm gonna throw this Apple atcha!"

Ya'll scoot on out our way if you have the chance. I'll take you on a run through the hills.

LiiT

Last edited by LiiT; 03-02-2014 at 12:56 PM.
Old 03-02-2014, 01:32 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Tail Trip

Do the Tail and the Cherohala Skyway.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/

Old 03-02-2014, 02:03 PM
oct1949
Club Member
Received 819 Likes on 805 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Do the Tail and the Cherohala Skyway.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
Those two I liked as much or even better than the Dragon..

Did the Dragon last yr,, while I liked it,, it was really packed and for me it got old before we got through it (Hey I am OLD).. The time ridding it goes fast, seems like your done in just a few minutes and don't have time to enjoy any views. Have to keep your eyes on the road almost 100% if its busy,

Most all the roads around the dragon are great rides. good curves and lots of them while having time to enjoy the view.

The roads we have here in Indiana are mostly flat and straight, so over all the 4 guys I went with and I had a Great week riding down there.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:32 PM
SunPilot
Tourer

Great advice from you fellows..>I much appreciate it. All in all, we should have a great ride...I've picked some decent roads through Pa, Maryland, Virg., etc. Wish I could get to every place! I have the time, but my riding buddies don't...they all still have jobs!
I used to haul firebrick out of " Apple atcha" back in the 70s, so I still remember what it was like ...probably some places haven't changed much since then!

Old 03-02-2014, 03:43 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Cherohala Skyway, Moonshiner 28, The Dragon and the Gauntlet - You'll enjoy them all.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon this summer