Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon this summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-07-2014, 08:53 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EveHD

Rt 209 runs from Kingston, NY through to Millersburg, PA. It's a nice ride about 90% of the time.
I love 209, especially the area west of Milford down along the river...trucks used to be banned from that road, hope that's still the case. I need a way to get down through northern Pa towards Gettysburg after we exit 209...

Old 03-07-2014, 01:46 PM
Phil502
Intermediate

If you have a windshield and can take it off before you ride it, take it off. Lots of outfits take pictures of the riders and you can buy them online. The windshield blocked the pictures a lot on mine.

The following users liked this post:
Robb Liupo (03-21-2020)
Old 03-07-2014, 06:23 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
I love 209, especially the area west of Milford down along the river...trucks used to be banned from that road, hope that's still the case. I need a way to get down through northern Pa towards Gettysburg after we exit 209...
Route 97 (the scenic byway). That is one beautiful ride. Take it out to RT 590 to RT 6 to I-81 towards Gettysburg. You'll enjoy it...

Old 03-07-2014, 07:35 PM
G1147
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dyna rider
Do the Tail and the Cherohala Skyway.

http://www.tailofthedragon.com/
We plan on doing the Tail in May with a little ride down the BRP and back in time to hit Rolling Thunder in DC.

DNA=National Dyslexics Association

Last edited by G1147; 03-07-2014 at 07:39 PM.
Old 03-11-2014, 12:48 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by EveHD
Route 97 (the scenic byway). That is one beautiful ride. Take it out to RT 590 to RT 6 to I-81 towards Gettysburg. You'll enjoy it...
I've ridden 97 a few times. We are leaving from Poughkeepsie, so we will be south of that area already...the plan is to run I84 to Milford, then down 209 to ? Looking for a nice uncrowded scenic route from 209 southwest towards Gettysburg for the first leg. Thanks, much appreciated

Old 03-11-2014, 12:52 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by G1147
We plan on doing the Tail in May with a little ride down the BRP and back in time to hit Rolling Thunder in DC.

DNA=National Dyslexics Association
The BRP is awesome. Bring rain gear! It gets misty up on top.

I did the Run to the Wall in D.C. a few years ago. We staged at the Pentagon parking lot. Bikes started rolling out around 9am I think, and we didn't roll out of the parking lot until after noon! Talk about a lot of bikes! Bring plenty of water, especially if it is a warm day.

Old 03-11-2014, 01:00 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

I finally get to go ride the Dragon in July. Keep on posting other roads to ride and things to see. I'm loving this thread!

Old 03-11-2014, 10:36 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by Firewoman
I finally get to go ride the Dragon in July. Keep on posting other roads to ride and things to see. I'm loving this thread!
I guess you will be on your way back when we are on our way down there...Probably pass you somewhere on the road! LOL

I am posting another ride or two...one today, it is a ride I took down the Cali coast...check it out

Old 03-11-2014, 04:28 PM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

I guess you will be on your way back when we are on our way down there...Probably pass you somewhere on the road! LOL

I am posting another ride or two...one today, it is a ride I took down the Cali coast...check it out
It's a small world and you never know...

About 2 years ago I was on my way down to GA. Stopped in PA under a gas station canopy to avoid a downpour. Two touring bikes pull up right behind me. Started discussing the weather with both couples. Never thought anything of it. Get to deals gap the next morning, park and go into the restaurant for some coffee. Come out and who's parked right next to me? The two bikes from PA.

Old 03-12-2014, 12:39 AM
Firewoman
Extreme HDF Member
Received 56 Likes on 46 Posts

On our way home we're going to ride some of the Blue Ridge Parkway. I especially want to see the Linn Cove Viaduct. After that it's straight west back to flat and boring-ville.

I'll keep an eye out for you.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon this summer