Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon this summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-05-2014, 05:51 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
Look into Rt209 south through PA and NJ.

Rt 209 runs from Kingston, NY through to Millersburg, PA. It's a nice ride about 90% of the time.

Old 03-05-2014, 05:58 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
There is a ton of good info here. I have a question...everyone talks about traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg... what's the big attraction there to cause so much traffic?
IJMHO, Traffic's next to nothing. Unlike NYC or Big cities. You need to spend one or two night there by parking your bike at some hotel on the Parkway in Pigeon Forge and get on the trolley just to ride the whole trip around the Parkway. Lots of sightseeings/places to choose from for ie: Shopping, Dining, Bar, Amusement and Lesiure whatever suits you and your better half.

The very same goes for Gatlingburg. Use the trolley at the trolley station in P.F. to get there cuz you'll have to pay to park your bike. The town's so touristy. It's neat to leave the bike behind, drink beer all day at various places, check some places out such as Cooter's, HD Store, Ole Smoky Moonshine, Bubba Gump Restaurant, Ober Gatlinburg on top of the mountain among others whatever interests you and your better half again.

Done with the tourist trap...Plenty of Roads to ride on once you leave that area.

Thorey

Old 03-05-2014, 10:28 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter

Received 146 Likes on 87 Posts

Next good weekend I'm heading over to ride the BRP and then maybe the Dragon, I see a lot of good tips on areas I've not been to yet so I need to get to it. I'll try to get some pics of the areas mentioned to give those that have to wait an idea of what to expect.

Old 03-05-2014, 12:41 PM
jay72
Road Captain
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

US Rt. 6 across the northern part of PA is a good ride. US Rt. 19 in a southerly direction in WV over the New River Gorge Bridge is awesome. Stp in Fayetteville at Dirty Ernie's Rib Shack. St. Rts. 555, 26, 536 and 78 in eastern Ohio. Great places to ride. Don't rule out the Blue Ridge Parkway either. While on the parkway, go up to the swinging bridge atop Grandfather Mountain. Now that is a challenge.

Old 03-06-2014, 12:38 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by EveHD
BRP is 45mph and @ 6am there's minimal traffic.

This past summer I came around a blind turn on the BRP and smack dab in the middle of the road was a mama bear and her cubs. I honked and the cubs scampered off but mama gave me that look LOL.
I've done the BRP before and I am taking my friends down along some of it on our way to Tennessee...We'll look out for those mamma bears!

Old 03-06-2014, 12:40 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by DeafUltra
IJMHO, Traffic's next to nothing. Unlike NYC or Big cities. You need to spend one or two night there by parking your bike at some hotel on the Parkway in Pigeon Forge and get on the trolley just to ride the whole trip around the Parkway. Lots of sightseeings/places to choose from for ie: Shopping, Dining, Bar, Amusement and Lesiure whatever suits you and your better half.

The very same goes for Gatlingburg. Use the trolley at the trolley station in P.F. to get there cuz you'll have to pay to park your bike. The town's so touristy. It's neat to leave the bike behind, drink beer all day at various places, check some places out such as Cooter's, HD Store, Ole Smoky Moonshine, Bubba Gump Restaurant, Ober Gatlinburg on top of the mountain among others whatever interests you and your better half again.

Done with the tourist trap...Plenty of Roads to ride on once you leave that area.

Thorey
I wish we had more time...that sounds like a lot of fun. I have the time but my riding friends all have to get back for work. Thanks for the suggestion

Old 03-06-2014, 08:47 AM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
There is a ton of good info here. I have a question...everyone talks about traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg... what's the big attraction there to cause so much traffic?
Over priced tourist crap. My wife likes the dinner shows and shopping. I could care less about that kind of stuff, but you know how that goes!

Once is enough to take in all that Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge proper have to offer. Cades Cove is a nice little ride.

LiiT

Old 03-06-2014, 01:45 PM
carcruizer1955
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This may have been said already but, I would stay off the TOD on the weekend. Way to many bikes (its the rookies I worry about). But lots of great riding out in that area.
Here is a great 80 mile loop. Start in Tellico Plains TN take Hwy 39 west to Hwy 315 south to Hwy 30 south to Hwy 64 east to Hwy 68 north back to Tellico Plains. Tellico is at the West end of Cherohala Skyway. If you stay in Tellico here is a great place to stay. Mountain View Cabin Rentals (423)253-6218. Its close to Cherohala and Hwy 360 intersection. Great newer cabins and some are under $100 on paved roads. We stayed in a one room cabin for about $50.

Old 03-06-2014, 03:41 PM
Nokkon Wud
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,552 Likes on 844 Posts

When you are going out SR 39 wave to me. I'll be the guy sitting on the porch on top of my ***.

Old 03-07-2014, 08:49 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Originally Posted by carcruizer1955
This may have been said already but, I would stay off the TOD on the weekend. Way to many bikes (its the rookies I worry about). But lots of great riding out in that area.
Here is a great 80 mile loop. Start in Tellico Plains TN take Hwy 39 west to Hwy 315 south to Hwy 30 south to Hwy 64 east to Hwy 68 north back to Tellico Plains. Tellico is at the West end of Cherohala Skyway. If you stay in Tellico here is a great place to stay. Mountain View Cabin Rentals (423)253-6218. Its close to Cherohala and Hwy 360 intersection. Great newer cabins and some are under $100 on paved roads. We stayed in a one room cabin for about $50.
We will definitely avoid the weekend...I'm thinking we will be there Monday or Tuesday. So many places to ride in that area...wish we had another week.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon this summer