Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon this summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2014, 09:52 AM
hobobiker
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Wild Card
wheels through time museum in Maggie Valley is must.
Beat me to it. Bunch of us old iron guys stay at the Kickstand Lodge twice a year and make it a habit to hit the museum, the tail, and just about every road in-between that we can. Lots of great riding and scenery...

Watch out for the sportsbike crowd that shoot for "best times" on the dragon, waving at the cameras as they go by with their bikes leaned down to the pavement. Also be on the lookout for the relatively inexperienced curve riders who enter turns too fast, can't negotiate the curve, and end up crossing the yellow line and in the other lane coming at you head-on...

Old 03-04-2014, 12:46 PM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

Hwy 441 thru Smokey Mountain Park from Cherokee to Gatlinburg and up to Pigeon Forge. There's a bypass now so you don't go thru Gatlinburg and hit all the traffic.
In Pigeon Forge stop at Harley dealer and then take 331 (Wears Valley Road) back towards Townsend. Then make a right and go up a little bit and make a left onto Foothills Parkway. Take this to the end and it puts you at the top of the Tail of Dragon.

Old 03-04-2014, 02:06 PM
rochkes
Elite HDF Member
Received 461 Likes on 212 Posts

Fugitive Dam is nothing to talk about, but Fontanna Dam is. Both are very close to Deal's Gap.

I went to that area five years in a row and every year to took a little side trip I hadn't taken in the past and found something I thought was the best part of the trip.

I missed the trip last year, but plan on heading back there this summer. I also like to drop down into northern Ga while I am that close. You just can't go wrong in that area.

Dennis

Old 03-04-2014, 02:26 PM
elecwiz1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

This looks like a lot of good information. Been playing with the idea of this myself. . .pick me up on your way through Western NY.

Old 03-04-2014, 03:49 PM
SunPilot
Tourer

There is a ton of good info here. I have a question...everyone talks about traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg... what's the big attraction there to cause so much traffic?

Old 03-04-2014, 04:31 PM
dyna rider
Club Member

Received 166 Likes on 141 Posts
Default Pigeon Forge

Home of the all American family vacation with thing to do for the kids, teenagers, and parents alike. Solid grid lock in the summer especially but pretty much all year. Food, music, amusements, shopping and it goes on and on and on...

Old 03-04-2014, 04:45 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,364 Likes on 5,502 Posts

Originally Posted by SunPilot
There is a ton of good info here. I have a question...everyone talks about traffic in Pigeon Forge and Gatlinburg... what's the big attraction there to cause so much traffic?
Not really attraction just one main drag people coming and going to world mixed in with visitors
Lot of tourist trap stuff in both of them.
I stay at the out side edge of Gatlinburg often and enjoy it I just stay out of town for the most part

Old 03-04-2014, 05:22 PM
rick2800
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

The main drag is like an amusment park rides and go cart racing everywhere plus alot of shopping places and hotels.

Old 03-05-2014, 02:21 AM
SunPilot
Tourer

Thanks for the info...I will design the ride to avoid these places...now I have to find some nice roads from the Hudson Valley down through the Poconos to the bottom of Pennsylvania...I don't want to ride interstates or turnpikes! I remember a long time ago going through Jim Thorpe...wonder if it's still a nice ride

Old 03-05-2014, 04:26 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks for the info...I will design the ride to avoid these places...now I have to find some nice roads from the Hudson Valley down through the Poconos to the bottom of Pennsylvania...I don't want to ride interstates or turnpikes! I remember a long time ago going through Jim Thorpe...wonder if it's still a nice ride
Look into Rt209 south through PA and NJ.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon this summer