Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Tail of the Dragon this summer

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 03:45 PM
rick2800
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I did the dragon last year it was fun unfortunatly when we hit the dragon the rain hit hard so traffic was pretty dead but the fastest we hit was around 30mph and still couldnt see much. I think it was tn 32 that runs beside brushy creek federal pen. that road was alot of fun next to no traffic and prolly more curves than the dragon we started by the prison so the first 1.5 to 2 miles was gravel. I ride on gravel alot so it doesnt bother me. Then fresh pavement the rest of the way as i remember we hit moonshiner 28 from there. I live near the vette museum. Its cool if you have nothing else to do. But if I was you I would ride daniel boone and app. mountains we went their late sept to visit family I took 2 days and just rode the back roads. If you do that and want to see some historical stuff white hall mansion is there went there on a 3rd grade trip it seemed cool also Fort Boonesborough is kinda neat and has a great campground.

Old 03-02-2014, 03:53 PM
Rockrivr1
Road Master
Received 115 Likes on 41 Posts

We're going in September and adding the Trail of Tears to the list as well. Will be looking forward to an update on your trip. We'll be heading out of Mass so I'm sure we'll be hitting some of the same areas.

Old 03-02-2014, 06:59 PM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

You mentioned some good rides but while in Ohio try to hit 555 and rt 26 both are great roads. When down in the smokies most every road is good the tail, 28, BRP, Devil's Triangle, etc..... One place I like to stay in Ga is Helen a fun little town surrounded by great roads. I also like to stay on the south end of Gatlinburg so you avoid riding in the traffic and get to the park quickly. If you like live music many places there offer it. Have fun! Pretty sure I will make it there a few times this summer as well.

Old 03-02-2014, 07:29 PM
smitty901
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Army
Received 10,363 Likes on 5,501 Posts

Head down and check out Bridalveil falls then follow the road to a few more water falls you do not have to walk miles to get to.
Bridalveil falls drive right behind it.

Old 03-03-2014, 06:12 PM
tmultra
Road Warrior
Received 593 Likes on 190 Posts

good place to eat and get a beer is at the harley dealer in Marysville. I didnt see any signs for it but if you go outside to the left of the shop towards the back they have a place back there where you can order some bbq.

Old 03-03-2014, 10:50 PM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Perry um
You mentioned some good rides but while in Ohio try to hit 555 and rt 26 both are great roads. When down in the smokies most every road is good the tail, 28, BRP, Devil's Triangle, etc..... One place I like to stay in Ga is Helen a fun little town surrounded by great roads. I also like to stay on the south end of Gatlinburg so you avoid riding in the traffic and get to the park quickly. If you like live music many places there offer it. Have fun! Pretty sure I will make it there a few times this summer as well.
The triple nickels is definitely on our list of roads this summer...looks like this whole area is made for motorcycling...I can't wait!

Thanks to everyone for all your input...keep it coming!

Old 03-04-2014, 05:45 AM
DeafUltra
Elite HDF Member
Received 119 Likes on 83 Posts

Skyline Drive starting at Front Royal, Va. and head on South for Blue Ridge Parkway ending at Cherokee, NC. Beautiful roads on top of the mountains over 500 miles. A lot of Overlook Passes to choose from and enjoy the spectacular views.

Thorey

Old 03-04-2014, 06:07 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

BRP is 45mph and @ 6am there's minimal traffic.

This past summer I came around a blind turn on the BRP and smack dab in the middle of the road was a mama bear and her cubs. I honked and the cubs scampered off but mama gave me that look LOL.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:17 AM
Markk9
Road Warrior
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

For the Dragon the best days are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, the road should have very light traffic on it.

Old 03-04-2014, 07:23 AM
EveHD
Moderatress
Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by Markk9
For the Dragon the best days are Tuesday, Wednesday, and Thursday, the road should have very light traffic on it.

I've gone every year the past couple of years and Tuesdays and Wednesdays are the best days IMO.

Thursday - Monday is way too congested unless you hit it at 6AM.

Quick Reply: Tail of the Dragon this summer