Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

NY, around Lake Huron, and back

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2014, 10:23 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default NY, around Lake Huron, and back

In the summer of 2013, my friends and I got together for our yearly cycle ride. These rides usually last 8 or 9 days. We've been everywhere in the east, so we were looking for something a little different this time. Someone suggested a ride around one of the Great Lakes, so I put together a trip that would lead us from the Hudson Valley in NY, along Lake Ontario, through Ontario, Canada, and a complete circumnavigation of Lake Huron.

The ride was pleasant through NY as we rode through the Finger Lakes Region and along Lake Ontario...we had a chance to stop at Niagara Falls for some picture taking and a lunch at the Hard Rock Cafe. The route then took us into Canada, we stayed to the west and avoided the congestion around Toronto. We followed little country lanes through Ontario's farm land up to the southeastern shore of Lake Huron.

The ride up the Bruce Peninsula from Owen Sound to Tobermory was scenic, quiet, and very relaxing. We hopped on board a beautiful ferry operated by the Province of Ontario, which took us across the upper part of Lake Huron. From there our route wound westerly along the top of the lake.

We finally headed south at Sault Ste. Marie, and back into the U.S. From there we headed across the beautiful Mackinac Bridge and down the western shores of Lake Huron through Cheboygan, and many other small lakeside towns. We hugged the coast all the way around the "Thumb" of Michigan and back into Canada for a quick trip to Buffalo. A stop at the famous Anchor Bar was on our list...this is the birthplace of the original Buffalo Chicken Wings....yummm.

The rest of the trip took us back across the western part of NY and finally home.

We were lucky enough to have only a few short periods of rain. The roads were awesome, except for the Lake Ontario State Parkway in NY, which has to be one of the worst, if not THE worst parkway I have ever ridden. It was like riding 20 plus miles on a washboard. We literally had pieces falling off our bikes from the constant vibration of the uneven pavement...not an exaggeration at all. Still, in spite of the bad road, it was an empty road with beautiful scenery, so that kinda made up for it.

I loved the trip, and the folks we met along the way were awesome. We stayed at a great little motel in Cheboygan and the owner turned us onto a beautiful side ride to the eastern shore of Lake Michigan, where Bob Seger spends some time in the summer.

All in all, we got to see each of the 5 Great Lakes on one trip...what else can I say! Fantastic

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-100_1517.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-100_1531.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-100_1544.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-100_1558.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-img_6361.jpg

Old 03-02-2014, 10:27 AM
SunPilot
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A few more pics from the Lake Huron Ride...if you have any questions, please feel free to ask...it's all about having a fun ride.

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-img_6404.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-img_6489.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-img_6520.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-img_6571.jpg

NY, around Lake Huron, and back-img_6600.jpg