Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Post up good New England rides!

Search this Thread

Old 02-16-2014, 10:35 AM
Puglia10
Road Warrior
Received 482 Likes on 231 Posts
Default Post up good New England rides!

I live just outside of Boston and am looking for some ideas for little 1 or 2 night trips on the weekends.

Lake George and Burlington VT were great last year, and I might repeat, but just figured I'd get some good ideas from some of you all!

Old 02-16-2014, 11:18 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Gotta stay in New England? Take the ferry across Lake Champlain, and hit Whiteface Mt, over near Lake Placid. Then route 3 to Watertown NY is a nice ride, and down around the Finger Lakes, and into north central PA. The PA Grand Canyon isn't far south of the NY border. It's an hour to hour & a half to Grand Canyon from Finger Lakes, so if you don't wanna take the time, maybe just stay around there for great rides around the lakes, winery tours, and Watkins Glen State Park.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:36 PM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

We are staying up in Lincoln, NH during Laconia Bike week and riding the Kancamagus Hwy.(Rt 122) west until Rt 16 north up to the Mt. Washington area.....once up there I plan to explore the roads around the mountain, hopefully I'll get lost

If you haven't done it already, make your way across northern MA on Rt2 to rt8 south then summit Mt. Greylock....Awesome views and the hostel has great food.

Old 02-16-2014, 03:42 PM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

I'm north of Boston, just south of the NH border.. not sure where your out of but you can ride RT 119 all the way to Brattleboro, VT and pick up either 9 west to Burlington VT or North up RT 100 VT (RT 100 is my favorite)...You can ride up and down on and off RT 100 - RT 5 - RT 10 forever ......You can get there a little quicker and just jump on RT 2 from one end of MA to the other....RT 140 in MA goes on from top to bottom and is an excellent road....Out west you can take RT 7 in MA down to CT or up to VT either way is great...I've ridden on RT 7 from NY, CT, MA, VT all the way up to Canada.....RT 16 or 20 are cool....Those are just a few off the top of my head...good luck...

Old 02-16-2014, 03:49 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

Green Mountain Gaps zig-zag tour.

Here's a favorite I do almost every Americade. Starting in Rutland head east on Rt. 4. Turn left (north) on Rt. 100. Turn left (west) on 73 (Brandon Gap) Turn right (north) on 53, Lake Dunmore. Turn right on 7 north, then right (east) on 125. Middlebury Gap. Turn left (north) on Rt. 100.

Turn left (west) at the sign for Lincoln Gap. This has about a 1/2 mile of gravel at the top. Near the bottom of the mountain on the west side of Lincoln Gap will be a swimming hole, look for the pick-up trucks. Turn right on Rt. 17. This goes north for a bit then swings east climbing Appalachian Gap. Watch out for the tap snakes in the turns on both sides of the gap.

Turn right (south) on Rt. 100, then turn into Warren, VT. Hit the Warren General Store for a lunch to take with you. (look for the "cats crossing" sign) Head south on 100 and have lunch either at Moss Glen Falls on 100 (right side) or turn right again on 125 then right again for Texas Falls, (watch out for a loose dog that chases bikes) a great place to eat and take a long scenic break. I then head south on 100 again, then west on 4 and back to Rutland. With stops this is an all day ride.

Old 02-17-2014, 08:58 AM
Doublerunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
Gotta stay in New England? Take the ferry across Lake Champlain, and hit Whiteface Mt, over near Lake Placid. Then route 3 to Watertown NY is a nice ride, and down around the Finger Lakes, and into north central PA. The PA Grand Canyon isn't far south of the NY border. It's an hour to hour & a half to Grand Canyon from Finger Lakes, so if you don't wanna take the time, maybe just stay around there for great rides around the lakes, winery tours, and Watkins Glen State Park.
Whiteface Mtn and the Lake Placid area were awesome. Went there last year for the 1st time and loved it. Went up the western side of Lake George and then Lake Champlain and the over to Lake Placid. Took all scenic roads right along the water.

The finger lakes region is also a nice area to visit and they have some great wines

Old 02-17-2014, 09:02 AM
Doublerunner
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Of course there's always the NH Mtns, Kancamagus Hwy, Franconia Notch, Mt Washington, etc

In Mass a ride out to Mt Wachusett is nice

Also, Northeast Ct has many great back roads cruising without much traffic

Wanna go a little south? Ride over the bridges in RI to Jamestown or Newport. Visit Beavertail State Park in Jamestown.... god's country

Old 02-17-2014, 09:32 AM
waramaug
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Litchfield county in northwest CT has some great roads. Rt. 222,254,109,7,63 and 44 are some of my favorites.

Old 02-17-2014, 01:12 PM
PaiN
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by waramaug
Litchfield county in northwest CT has some great roads. Rt. 222,254,109,7,63 and 44 are some of my favorites.
One of my fav. short rides is to shoot up rt4, to rt 202, around Lake "Waramaug"
then head to the Cornwall covered bridge, then back through Goshen / Litchfield.

Old 02-17-2014, 04:36 PM
silent1
Road Warrior
Received 52 Likes on 33 Posts

Originally Posted by Doublerunner
Of course there's always the NH Mtns, Kancamagus Hwy, Franconia Notch, Mt Washington, etc

In Mass a ride out to Mt Wachusett is nice

Also, Northeast Ct has many great back roads cruising without much traffic

Wanna go a little south? Ride over the bridges in RI to Jamestown or Newport. Visit Beavertail State Park in Jamestown.... god's country
Newport and Southern RI is nice. Ocean Drive in Newport is a good ride (although short) with some good views. Head over the Newport Bridge and then head toward Narragansett and go down toward CT.

Or, head up to NH and spend a night in and around Lincoln or Conway NH. There are too many roads to count up there... all good ones too.

Or, for a coastal ride, you could ride Route 1a from Hampton up to York ME, and then on to Portland.

So many options..... I'm ready for spring now just thinking about it.

Quick Reply: Post up good New England rides!