Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Yellowstone

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2014, 07:45 AM
rossn2
Road Master
Received 131 Likes on 73 Posts

For 2015 looking to leave Red lodge head west on Beartooth pass, down Chief Joseph highway to Cody, then west (14/20) into Yellowstone and down to either Moran or Jackson in one day. Would this be too much for one day?

Old 02-13-2014, 06:14 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by BigDogIdaho
I'm thinking about heading to Yellowstone in 2015 (already have a big trip planned for this year) and was wondering what others could tell me about Yellowstone.
How long does it take to travel through and what else to expect? Not going to do any camping all will be hotels. I don't need much but a bed and shower (I'm cheap). Anywhere to stay nearby? We will be hitting Jackson, WY also, either before or after depending on which way we loop back around.
After that I'm debating about either North through Montana then back to Idaho or South through Utah or maybe even Colorado, then back to Idaho. I don't know what routes would be good for any of those ways.
Starting and finishing in Boise.

Go to my 2008 blog (in my sig) and click on the June 20 link. There are some pictures of Gardiner MT, the north entrance to Yellowstone, which is a neat little town with reasonable accommodations and a couple of good bars/restaurants.

Old 02-13-2014, 08:23 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 335 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by rossn2
For 2015 looking to leave Red lodge head west on Beartooth pass, down Chief Joseph highway to Cody, then west (14/20) into Yellowstone and down to either Moran or Jackson in one day. Would this be too much for one day?
I left Cody, rode to Red Lodge, ate lunch, headed to YS. Got to the NE entrance as it was about to storm, headed back up the road to the little town and stopped at a little café until the storm passed. Then rode to Canyon, checked into camp ground, set up camp, rode a little, back for a shower and ate before dark.

I think you should have plenty of time if traffic is not bad.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,240 Likes on 1,835 Posts

The last time we went to Yellowstone (2010) we stayed in West Yellowstone three nights.
We toured the western part of the park one day and the second day we rode down (and back) to Jackson, WY and made it back in time to see "Old Faithful before heading back to West Yellowstone.
On the following day we headed through the park and spent that night in Cody, WY.
Lots of good places to eat in Cody and a super firearms and Indian culture Museum that's a "must" to see if you like firearms. Lots and lots of firearms so plan on a minimum of three or four hours there.

It would be a shame if you couldn't do the Chief Joseph Hwy and the Bear Tooth Pass.

You guys need to know that snow is common in some parts of Yellowstone, and especially on the Bear Tooth Pass in June.

Old 02-15-2014, 02:00 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I'm out of Portland and did your trip two years ago. If you have the time, there are great ways to see it all and stay off the Interstates. I went on US20/26 out of Mountain Home to Idaho Falls. Great two lane road and better ride than I84 (I've done it). From Idaho Falls, I went to Jackson via US26/US89, by Palisades Res. It comes into Jackson from the south. If you continue north past Grand Tetons, you come into Yellowstone from the south.

Yellowstone is a LARGE part. Inside the boundaries, the roads are essentially in a Figure 8. Canyon Village is the center of the "8". It is the center of the park and facilities and nest to the Falls. South of Canyon Village is Hayden Valley where there is always tons of bisons. It is the road to Yellowstone Lake and Lake Village. Old Faithfull is west of Yellowstone lake on the lower loop of the "8".

The thing that I find interesting on the Forum, is that 1) everyone says to stay outside the park and 2) only talk about riding and NEVER about seeing the park. The roads leading outside the park are south of the "8", west of the center of the "8", north and northeast of the "8" and one due east. The roads in Yellowstone travel at 40 MPH and there are many stops for bison and other animal related traffic jams. In other words, if you want to see the park, it takes HOURS. It is a VERY large park. It is not 30 minutes from West Yellowstone to Canyon Village. It more like 2 1/2 hours and that is if you don't stop. If you don't backtrack, taking any of the loops back will take 5-6 hours.

I would stay in Canyon Village or Lake Village and plan to spend 2-3 inside the park and actually see it. Get off the bike and take the hikes to see the geysers and animals. Another reality about Yellowstone that I found is that after the big burn 20 years ago, all of the new pine trees are all the same height and they are only 20 feet tall. This means that a lot of the roads have their view's block due to thick small pine trees.

After Yellowstone, I zig-zaged my way northwest to Butte and then to Missoula. From there, I would go over Lolo Pass to Lewiston and then due south to Boise over Rattlesnake. Otherwise, you could go south on US93 and then eventually cut over to Boise. Then again, Idaho is your state, so I am certain you already know the better routes and rides.

Old 02-16-2014, 01:46 PM
EricW
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

In West Yellowstone contact The Goldenwest Motel. The owner Kurt rides and is a hell of a guy. I have been snowmobiling there for decades but never seen it in the summer. Kurt is a great host that knows all the local and area tips to make the most of your trip. He has in the past hooked our group up with his personal sled when we had a breakdown, loaned us safety gear, loaned his shop and parts,and we have had the best partys in WY right in his shop. He has offered to show me around many times if I ever get down there on my bike. A great contact for nice rooms, local hospitality and even a guide if he's not swamped. Tell him EricW said HI and be sure to look at the Wall of Shame in his shop. Good stuff. EW

Old 02-21-2014, 10:45 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

Originally Posted by DBlass
I'm out of Portland and did your trip two years ago. If you have the time, there are great ways to see it all and stay off the Interstates. I went on US20/26 out of Mountain Home to Idaho Falls. Great two lane road and better ride than I84 (I've done it). From Idaho Falls, I went to Jackson via US26/US89, by Palisades Res. It comes into Jackson from the south. If you continue north past Grand Tetons, you come into Yellowstone from the south.

What are you talking about?? The freeway there is pleasant and visually stimulating ride.....
LOL I know it is terrible! I'm planning on cutting over on the highways. Done the freeways too many times thru there. The worst time it was about 100 degrees and there was a strong hot side wind coming in.

Old 02-21-2014, 10:49 AM
BigDogIdaho
Grand HDF Member
Received 192 Likes on 148 Posts

I do want to see a few things in Yellowstone, just don't know if my riding partners will have enough time. I'm going to try and talk them into spending a couple of days in the park. At the very least we HAVE to see Old Faithful!
I'm starting to wonder about going south after the park now. Since there will most likely be snow and cold through Montana area it sounds like. Through either Utah or Colorado?

Old 04-08-2014, 09:28 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

great info...heading there in july for 3 days in and around the park....

Old 04-13-2014, 08:57 PM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

I spent four days in the park. As much as the park is very large, you can see "most" of the big sites between Canyon and Yellowstone Lake and then over to Old Faithful. Canyon has Yellowstone Falls (you can see this with short walk). Then go south to Yellowstone Lake. You will pass through Hayden Valley where the buffalo hang out (watch for traffic). Yellowstone Lake has some great views of the lake and mountains. It is nice ride to Old Faithful. Wait for it to blow but take the full walk to see all of the geysers there.

Last edited by DBlass; 04-13-2014 at 09:00 PM.

Quick Reply: Yellowstone