Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip out west.......

Search this Thread

Old 02-11-2014, 05:19 PM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by 2AMGuy
JMHO here, but I suggest that you never leave on a long trip unless you know that your bike is roadworthy.

A new or very recent battery, new tires, new spark plugs and new fluids can greatly reduce the chances of a breakdown.
Just wondering. How often do you go on a "long" road trip?

Old 02-11-2014, 10:29 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 139 Likes on 116 Posts

I have AMA road service. Maybe not great but I've been lucky enough to always nurse it to shop? Man, now I'm gonna blow up in the middle of nowhere!!

Old 02-12-2014, 10:31 AM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,424 Likes on 2,765 Posts

We took a six week road trip last summer. I purchased the HOG upgraded Road Side Assitance, less than $100.

Shifter spline stripped out at the Canadian-Maine border. Limped the bike stuck in fifth across the border and called the 1-800 #. Flatbed was on site within the hour, get towed all the way to Bangor ME, at least 1.5 hours from the border. No cost to me, gave the driver a $20. He also brought us to a truck stop instead of the dealership, which was closed on Sunday (and not opening till Tuesday). We had another buddy from NH drive up to get us at the truck stop, real convenient all things considered.

Bottom line, it was nice to call an 800 number, someone answered on a Sunday and a truck was with me quickly. The driver being aces after that was all bonus for me.

Old 02-12-2014, 12:52 PM
davey019
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 52 Posts

I have it with being a hog member. Main reason I am a hog member

Old 02-12-2014, 07:47 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

I've never even thought about it. I have done 49 States and most of Canada. Always start with new tires. My HD's have gotten me home without issue for the past ten years.

The only thing that has ever come to mind is when I'm booking along in a remote area I think "Yikes I'm only on two wheels".

Old 02-13-2014, 12:19 AM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I tried getting AAA RV + M/C, but it's not available in my region. I got the roadside assistance through HOG.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:21 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,271 Likes on 1,848 Posts

Originally Posted by Grandslam
Just wondering. How often do you go on a "long" road trip?
Lately, not as much as I'd like.

Family issues, my wife's job, etc. has put long trips on hold but even so I try to take at least one or two trips each season.

Last year a friend and I managed a trip around Lake Superior in June and in July we got down to NC and done Maggie Valley, the "Tail of the Dragon" and we toured the "Wheels thru Time Museum".

This year we're planning a trip to Dallas and then on to Las Vegas.
Hopefully my wife will be able to get some vacation time and if so, she gets to choose the trip destination. She loves the BRP so that may be where we'll go.
My preference would be up the eastern seaboard to Maine and then Nova Scotia and I'd like to go to N.F. and PEI but that will probably be another year or two.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:27 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by DaveNBPT
I tried getting AAA RV + M/C, but it's not available in my region. I got the roadside assistance through HOG.
You may want to also check with your insurance company just to have a "backup" option.
Road service usually isn't very expensive.

Hey, take it from me, when you're broke down ANY flatbed wrecker service will do!
Heck, even a farmer with a trailer can get you to town, dealership, or a bike shop.
I carry two tie-downs, a siphon hose, a tire repair kit, a mini air compressor, and some extra cash just in case.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:37 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by lh4x4
I've never even thought about it. I have done 49 States and most of Canada. Always start with new tires. My HD's have gotten me home without issue for the past ten years.

The only thing that has ever come to mind is when I'm booking along in a remote area I think "Yikes I'm only on two wheels".
I've only had one serious breakdown (lost a transmission) in '80 near Dallas, TX. Had friends down there who owned a trailer but no one had tie-downs so we used rope...not a good idea.

I did have a flat on my rear (tubeless) tire in Yosemite in '91.
A nice little Park Ranger in a pickup trip went to their garage and got a portable air tank and I managed to get to a service station (on a nearly flat tire).
It was a hoot watching the two kids try to "plug" my tire.
I finally asked them if I could "help" them so we could be on our way.
Great folks though and I appreciated all of them.

Old 02-14-2014, 01:54 AM
painey
Road Warrior
Received 241 Likes on 115 Posts

First make sure bike has been fully serviced before embarking on a long road trip.
I carry roadside assistance insurance, plug repair kit (plus electric pump) and a few tools but the one most important item is a Hogs member map book I was given with all the HD dealers locations and phone numbers, it was a godsend when I needed to find a dealer in a unknown area.

Quick Reply: Trip out west.......