Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Iron Butt Association

Search this Thread

Old 02-09-2014, 12:32 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned
Received 502 Likes on 321 Posts
Default Iron Butt Association

I'm hoping to complete a Saddle Sore 1000 this spring. I have a route planned out. This will be my first attempt at an Iron Butt certification. I was just curious if there any Iron Butt riders on the forum and would be interested in any of your accomplishments, stories, advice, etc., etc..... Thanks.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:42 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

There are a few on here that register their rides, then their are many on here like me, that do the iron butts but can't be bothered or don't care to register it.

Old 02-09-2014, 12:47 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

I would like to get the certification and more importantly the patch to put on my vest.....

Old 02-09-2014, 12:51 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

Originally Posted by Mountain Cruiser
I would like to get the certification and more importantly the patch to put on my vest.....
Go for it, should be a piece of cake on a Road King.

Old 02-09-2014, 04:48 AM
Mountain Cruiser
Banned

The route I'm considering is a little challenging. It includes two Sierra Nevada passes and a run through through Nevada's desert on Highway 50 and the "Extraterestial Highway".

Old 02-09-2014, 09:39 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member

The route I'm considering is a little challenging. It includes two Sierra Nevada passes and a run through through Nevada's desert on Highway 50 and the "Extraterestial Highway".
The passes may slow you down a bit, I've done them all as you probably have and you can't get the speed that you may need to complete the run in time.
Show me a map.

Old 02-09-2014, 02:39 PM
jimmers1817
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Did an unplanned 1200 mile solo once when coming back from Nova Scotia. After riding all day in the rain and getting separated from my riding partner I decided to head home. Pissed off and juiced on adrenaline I left at 8pm and arrived home 8pm the next day.

I wasn't dressed for the rain and I had to stop every so often to pour water out of my boots and shake off hypothermia and I got brain fog pretty bad near the end. One of the dumbest things I've ever done and I would never do it again unless I absolutely had to.

Good luck. Long as you stay warm or cool depending on the weather and get some sleep before heading out you'll do fine.

Old 02-09-2014, 03:05 PM
scott01
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Pre-hydrate and don't eat a heavy meal before the trip. Eat small high protein snacks at fuel stops. Wear ear plugs. Good luck

Old 02-09-2014, 09:06 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

There are a few threads on here dealing with IBA rides.
In a nutshell:
The Saddle Sore (1,000 miles in less than 24 hours) is more a test of tenacity than anything else. If you are hard headed enough and don't break down, you will complete it.
I can only tell you how I do it, others may do it differently.

I use mapquest and google maps and plan every fuel stop.
***Put the stops in your GPS as waypoints or pencil the exits in grease pencil on your windshield.
***Don't think of it as 1,000 miles. Make it a run from fuel stop to fuel stop. (basically stop every 2 hours)
***Efficient fuel stops are the key. You cannot ride fast enough to make up for slow fuel stops. No more than 10 minutes from highway exit to highway entrance.
***I keep bottled water on the bike and drink while riding. On my bike a bottle of water fits perfectly between the windshield and forks.
***I eat granola bars while riding. I've never been hungry or stopped to eat on a run.
***Ride through boredom and monotony. Stop immediately when you are sleepy. You can and will go to sleep on your bike riding down the highway if you ride too long.
***You will learn a lot about your body on the first run, even more with subsequent runs.
***I researched and learned a lot about sleep patterns and napping. 20-40 minutes is optimal. (The Iron Butt Motel)

Read this post:
http://ironbutt.com/tech/aowprintout.cfm

Browse this forum:
http://www.ironbutt.org/forum/default.asp

Feel free to send me a private message with any specific questions if you want. There are a lot of little things I've learned that are too numerous to post here. (like use a tank bag and quit caffeine a month before a ride)
If you need it I will send you a copy of the log I use for ride submission.

Stories of rides:
1) Riding 400 miles in thunderstorm. I couldn't get ahead or behind the front. Hours in pounding rain at highway speeds.
2) Traffic coming to a complete stop suddenly on the interstate outside of Memphis. The 2 semi-trucks behind me couldn't get stopped. Both took the shoulder rather than rear-end me and the semi-truck I was stopped behind (the second truck wrecked).
3) Riding north through the sand hills of Nebraska alone on the highway. Still ranks as my favorite hours on a motorcycle. Closest I've ever been to nirvana.

Last edited by Jonesee; 02-10-2014 at 06:04 AM.
Old 02-09-2014, 09:18 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I'm hoping to complete a Saddle Sore 1000 this spring. I have a route planned out. This will be my first attempt at an Iron Butt certification. I was just curious if there any Iron Butt riders on the forum and would be interested in any of your accomplishments, stories, advice, etc., etc..... Thanks.
Lots of Iron Butt riders here on this forum.

Here's a thread I started a while ago...
https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...k-in-here.html

Regarding your ironbutt attempt. My advice is.. gets a good nights rest for a few night before so you're not overtired. The day of your ride, start early, 5 or 6 am departure. Don't make unnecessary stops, only stop for gas when you need it or where you need to document your trip. When you stop for gas, use the washroom, buy some food like a sandwich or piece of chicken or whatever, pick up a bottle of gaterade to take with you.

Try to keep your average speed up. Ride safe but don't doddle. If you have to pass someone get on it rather than follow along at a slow speed.

Don't plan on stopping for sightseeing or making a long stop for lunch. When you stop for gas, that is your break to stretch and rehydrade and eat, like I said earlier.

If you do all that you'll be done a few hours before midnight. If you doddle and make long stops you'll be riding past midnight to finish.

My 2c.

Quick Reply: Iron Butt Association