Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Planning a Route Map for GPS

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014 | 10:24 PM
djmobilehome
|
Stage III
Default Planning a Route Map for GPS

I'm curious to see how others plan routes for road trips, or even day trips. When possible, i prefer to use secondary roads, rather than interstate. I'm planning a 6 day trip to Big Bend, TX (my first long road trip), and want to break it up by days for easy navigation.

I've used Google Maps to plan my routes, but once you "save" the map, it becomes un-editable. I'm not able to send this to my iPhone for use as GPS.

I've also used MapQuest to create routes, but this is a little more cumbersome, although i am able to send it to my phone for GPS directions.

Does anyone know of a good, user friendly map / software that allows the route to be emailed / texted, etc to a iPhone to use GPS?

I have a Garmin GPS, but it does not allow me to import routes (guess it's a cheaper model . . .)

Thanks in advance!

Old 02-08-2014 | 10:35 PM
Juan L

I made a trip plan much like you're doing for Big bend too from Ft. Worth. I used MapQuest because it let me design my own route and if I wanted to alter I used Base Camp. Map Quest will send the route to your Garmin. I know it sounds like a lot of jumping around but if you plan carefully your route will be good the first time out and not require any changes. I plan on running down to big Bend probably the first part of April, what about you?

For the most part I will run the super slab until I get away from DFW then head down on the little roads. Welcome to the forum by the way and if you need any additional help you can PM me if you like.

Old 02-08-2014 | 10:52 PM
djmobilehome
|
Stage III

Thanks for the info - i'll check out Base Camp, as i haven't used it before.

We are leaving DFW the evening of April 3rd and plan on pulling back into town on April 9th. We'll take 20 West on Thursday night, just to get a jump on the trip and out of town and will take 20 most of the way Friday to Fort Davis. From here, we'll stay off the interstate until we head back home from the Austin Area.

Old 02-08-2014 | 10:58 PM
Billfishin2
Road Captain

I'm not that tech savvy, I carry an atlas and a GPS that I can plug in if I need to but before I leave, I will roughly plan my route and print it ... take a peek every few stops or so if the roads get complicated ... but I don't travel with a route set in stone, might want to detour to take a look at something or just for a change. Welcome to the Forums!

Old 02-09-2014 | 07:25 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior

I use https://www.myscenicdrives.com. It is very easy to use, downloads to my Garmin.

Old 02-09-2014 | 01:01 PM
keith_stepp
Banned

I gave up trying to plan my trips, other than to keep a list of places I want to go, and I rarely use a GPS for navigation; just to get a good idea of where I am going and how to get there in my head. I will refer to it throughout the day to make sure that I do not get too lost, but I have zero problem with getting a little lost.

Old 02-12-2014 | 10:13 AM
dibe
Tourer

My suggestion would be to get a Garmin that can support custom routes and use Basecamp. You can find one for about a $100 or so new and even cheaper used.

Basecamp is nice because it uses the actually map that you have on the Garmin when planning the route so you won't run into any inaccuracies when transferring the map the Garmin.

I have used Tyre with a TomTom and Basecamp with Garmin. Basecamp has a bit of a learning curve but I find this the best solution when planning custom routes.

Not all Garmins support custom routes and I heard even the new ones have done away with the option for some new feature Garmin now uses. This GPS supports custom routes though. Garmin Nuvi 1490

Last edited by dibe; 02-12-2014 at 10:20 AM.
Old 02-12-2014 | 11:45 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member

If you are unable to import your route to your GPS, just insert the waypoints into the gps manually.

The waypoints can be fuel stops or intersections.
You will end up with the same output (route) after you do.

Old 02-12-2014 | 08:54 PM
beammeup
Road Master

I used to use google maps but it's been "improved" and now it doesn't work for me. Basecamp recently upgraded and a lot of folks are in an uproar over it.
I've been using the Harley Ride Planner and find it easy to use and and I'm pretty sure the waypoints download to a Garmin (need the Garmin software installed on your pc) and if you have enough of them, it should match your route or can be adjusted in the Garmin. Larger routes will end up being broken up into smaller segments. I spoke with a Garmin tech and he told me it was a Harley limitation not Garmin, btw. I understand that you don't have to be a Hog member to use it but I can't confirm that.

Old 02-13-2014 | 08:11 AM
tOSUSteve
Road Master

I have been using http://www.tyretotravel.com/

Allows you to import into Garmin or TomTom It will import a google map and then you can tweak it from there.

Quick Reply: Planning a Route Map for GPS