Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How many do solo trips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 03:59 PM
Cjacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default How many do solo trips?

I started going on solo bike trips about 25 years ago. Most of these trips have been from 3 to 7 days. (2 or 3 times a year) I have also done a few trips with others and a few trips included my wife. However, my wife really doesn't like riding and only went to make me happy. Anyway, I kind of ended up just going by myself most of the time. For example, I live in NE Ohio and I've done the Blue ridge parkway more times then I can remember. For many years I was quite comfortable with going on trips by myself. However, on my last 2 or 3 trips I have not been as comfortable or enjoyed the trip by myself as much as I used to. On my last trip I ended up cutting the trip short and came home early. I am now thinking about going to Bikeweek but I am not sure if I want to go by myself. My wife has no interest in going. Every day I get up I feel different about my making the trip. I am getting older (64) and I am starting to think that has something to do with feeling different about traveling solo. I used to just go and enjoyed the freedom of going and doing whatever I wanted. My question is: Are there many others that go on trips solo or am I a dying breed? Also, have you enjoyed solo trips? I would appreciate hearing how others feel about riding solo. Thanks!

Last edited by Cjacks; 02-07-2014 at 04:01 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:12 PM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

I've done several solo trips and really enjoyed them. On a motorcycle you can always find someone to talk to.

I always try to find a motel close to restaurants and walk over to the bar and have a beer or two. (Once in Carlsbad, NM at Chili's it was more than 'two'. I got to talking to a guy about motorcycles and trips, etc. and sat there for 5 hours.)

Solo, you can always stop when and where you want without having to worry about anyone else.

The longest one I did was to Colorado, from DFW area, for 9 days and 3K miles.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:25 PM
Mcdave
Tourer

I think I like it better as I get older. I always meet new people. I can just drift around, move when I want to, eat drink sleep on my terms. Somehow it's always cheaper and it seems like you get to see the good stuff, not just the tourist trap stuff.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:36 PM
DustyRG
Stage III

I've done a lot of solo trips and like being on my own.It is pretty easy to
get conversations going while having a beer, grabbing something to eat
or even getting gas.I Have ridin along with strangers and dropped off after a few hundred miles.Last year did a solo trip to Sturgis and met up with some retired Arkansas guys who were great and even offered for me to tag along to Yellowstone,would've if I had more time,they were on a 4-5 wk trip.Only drawback is not having a buddy to split a room with once in a while.It is more of a mindset thing,depends how you feel.I have buddies who think a 700mi roundtrip weekend is a long ride from home.You have to enjoy the journey.Bottom line is if you don't enjoy it you need to change it up a little.

Last edited by DustyRG; 02-07-2014 at 06:09 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 04:37 PM
dan conner
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

i like to travel by my self. i am just the opposite of OP...the older i get, the less i feel the need for company on a trip.

Old 02-07-2014, 04:37 PM
Cjacks
Advanced

Robert,
I am also good at striking up conversations. At the end of a long day of riding I also like to find a close by restaurant with a bar so I can have a couple beers with dinner. And yes, a couple times it ended up being more then a couple, but I only had to walk back to the hotel. You guys are reminding me why I like going on bike trips by myself.
Cj

Last edited by Cjacks; 02-07-2014 at 04:39 PM.
Old 02-07-2014, 05:42 PM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Trips to rallies, I take my wife now. She is a lot of fun.

Long runs, or heading across the country, is always by myself.

Old 02-07-2014, 05:53 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 147 Likes on 95 Posts

I love solo trips -- your on your own time schedule, can drive as far as you want, start as early as you want, and stop whenever you want. Freedom! SJ Ron

Old 02-07-2014, 05:57 PM
hvacgaspiping
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 16,932 Likes on 8,620 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
i like to travel by my self. i am just the opposite of OP...the older i get, the less i feel the need for company on a trip.
Yeah, me too.

Old 02-07-2014, 06:01 PM
sucherman
Club Member
Received 12 Likes on 2 Posts

Only the last ten years have I been able to leave responsibility in the rear view for more than 3 or 4 days. Now those don't even count as trips. I spent plenty of time planted so I really enjoy planting my butt on my putt and inspecting the road conditions over the next hill or around that next turn. Bikes in the grudge and my butt itches, damn snow and salt as far as the eye can see.

Quick Reply: How many do solo trips?