Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How many do solo trips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:34 PM
Yellotang
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by aces&8s
If I lived in Ohio I wouldn't be happy either.
Hey, I lived in East Sparta Ohio. I loved it. Wish my family never moved us away from there.

Old 02-09-2014, 08:22 AM
Faulkner
Road Captain
Received 29 Likes on 14 Posts

I usually do one or two solo trips a year. I perfer two-up trips with just my wife and I, and I enjoy trips with just one or two of my riding buddies. I no longer ride with groups of more than a couple of other bikes anymore.

Old 02-11-2014, 11:36 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

I'm 26 and I pretty much always ride solo when it comes to getting out of town. Friends I ride with around here think a long ride is to the bar for lunch 30 miles away. I'll always get people to say "yes" to a long trip, but when it comes down to it they back out. I just stopped asking about 2 years ago and now just go on my own. I have a 10 day ride from NC to CA this summer leaving Aug 22ed (not a Harley though..on a busa). I plan on taking back roads 80% of the way. I would like if someone came with me, but I know I will enjoy it just as much by myself. I don't like relying on other people to do what I want to do. I plan on stopping each night somewhere near a bar to eat, drink, and talk to people.

Also doing a 3 day 1,000 mile ride out of Vegas on a SG in May, the GF may be coming with me on that one if she can get off work, but if not..I'll have fun without her.

Old 02-11-2014, 06:40 PM
HpyRider
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Week Solo

Don't worry about going solo to Daytona. I'm 70 and will ride by myself. Once you get started the excitement will return and build. Have a great trip.
Originally Posted by Cjacks
I started going on solo bike trips about 25 years ago. Most of these trips have been from 3 to 7 days. (2 or 3 times a year) I have also done a few trips with others and a few trips included my wife. However, my wife really doesn't like riding and only went to make me happy. Anyway, I kind of ended up just going by myself most of the time. For example, I live in NE Ohio and I've done the Blue ridge parkway more times then I can remember. For many years I was quite comfortable with going on trips by myself. However, on my last 2 or 3 trips I have not been as comfortable or enjoyed the trip by myself as much as I used to. On my last trip I ended up cutting the trip short and came home early. I am now thinking about going to Bikeweek but I am not sure if I want to go by myself. My wife has no interest in going. Every day I get up I feel different about my making the trip. I am getting older (64) and I am starting to think that has something to do with feeling different about traveling solo. I used to just go and enjoyed the freedom of going and doing whatever I wanted. My question is: Are there many others that go on trips solo or am I a dying breed? Also, have you enjoyed solo trips? I would appreciate hearing how others feel about riding solo. Thanks!

Old 02-12-2014, 06:14 PM
LikeHellIWon't
Intermediate
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Solo

I've found that riding with others is like having to fish out of the back of your buddies boat. You are at their mercy and don't always get to go where you think looks the best. Like others have said, a lot of your friends talk a good game, then back out on you or have to cut the trip short. Great advise about staying by a bar, usually always people to visit with and learn somethings that might be unique to that area.

Carry on my wayward son....

Old 02-12-2014, 07:40 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

Since I retired my long trips have been with my son's. Last year I decided to go it alone on some rides. It went well. More relaxed as they like to book along to be sure they get back before their vacation time runs out.

So, I plan two solo trips from now on. The first will be to go to Yellowknife next June.

Old 02-12-2014, 09:50 PM
DaveNBPT
Road Master
Received 80 Likes on 69 Posts

I don't have anything remotely close to your riding history, but I'll add my 1 cent. I did a cross country trip with a friend last May and although it went fine, Had the feeling that I might be happier doing a solo trip. I am currently in Vegas after doing a 3-day tour in Arizona, California and Nevada. It was PURE BLISS and I attribute this, at least partly, to be because I was traveling solo. Riding to me equals freedom...that freedom(at least to me) is even greater if I'm riding solo. I rode where I wanted to go, stopped to take pictures when I wanted to take a picture, stopped to take a leak on the side of the road when the need arose and spent the night where I wanted to spend the night. For the past number of months, I have been planning another cross country trip(Oregon coast to Mass coast). This trip will be solo as well. This is where I am at this point in my life. As with anything else, this is subject to change.

Old 02-12-2014, 10:36 PM
StrokedNBored
Cruiser
Received 7 Likes on 1 Post

Almost every trip (more than a day) that I take is solo...

Old 02-13-2014, 05:53 AM
JACKO1
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I do a lot of riding solo, here in OZ and away, your not tied down and free to do what you like when you like and go where you want. I travel to the US each year and ride around 7000mls solo in a month or so.Will be kicking off again from LA mid July, some days you might hook up with some other riders for a few hours along the road or have a short chat on gas stops. Keep doing your own thing Cjacks!! Enjoy.

Old 02-16-2014, 11:49 AM
PPBART
Elite HDF Member
Received 143 Likes on 102 Posts

Originally Posted by dan conner
i like to travel by my self...the older i get, the less i feel the need for company on a trip.
That's my feeling, too.

Quick Reply: How many do solo trips?