Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How many do solo trips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-08-2014, 08:41 AM
Rickl
Road Captain
Received 19 Likes on 14 Posts

I found that if I started to plan a ride with friends or brothers it became a pain in the ***. So I migrated to just planning solo trips. Now, I just let people know where and when I am going. If you want to travel with me fine, but if not oh well I'm fine doing the solo thing. Actually as many here have stated it is more enjoyable solo as you're not waiting on anyone but yourself and here's a shocker . . . there's a lot of nice people out there! Do you run into the occasional stick in the mud, yeah but what I have noticed is the people you would think would shy away from you the most are probably the ones that approach you the most.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:47 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

I try to take off at least a few days every so often to "commune" with the back roads. No map, no agenda just a direction. I never go with someone else as that would defeat the purpose of it now wouldn't it?

Old 02-08-2014, 11:41 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

I've done a few solo rides and overnighters but then I feel like I,m being selfish and thinking of my own needs. So now I usually wait till my wife has time off her nurse shift work on some weekend overnighter so that she can ride her Dyna along with me. She loves to ride and why deny her that pleasure.(as well as being with me, wink wink)
Much better and more fun to be sleeping with my wife.
I still ride alone but not overnight and I don,t do the "I,m riding with my buddies this weekend overnight, you can't come". That's just selfish in my books.
She's coming with us, I INSIST.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:53 PM
BUZZARD II
Road Master
Received 12 Likes on 12 Posts

I started touring on a 2 stroke 305 Yamaha in 1967 and haven't stopped since. Most have been solo because other's say yeah, yeah in the middle of winter but come spring it's another story. In all that time I've only run into 4 others that are dependable.

Now like another poster said I plan my trips and let people know. If they go, fine, if not, that's OK too. I'm still leaving when I said. And that brings up the most important thing in trip planning. Don't change your plans to accommodate others.

Unless they are proven riding partners that you have traveled with many times in the past, you will get screwed.

My last comment is this. Don't over plan. My best trips have been, OK I leave on the 27th. As a goal, I want to tour Colorado. That's it. Depending of weather I might head straight west. Depending on whim I might head south. Following the front wheel is the best way. I will admit this does not work as well in the middle of summer. Going to Sturgis you better have reservations there. But on the ride, stop whenever you please.

Old 02-08-2014, 03:28 PM
LiiT
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 834 Likes on 582 Posts

I've never had a problem with heading out on my own, and the older I get the more I like getting off to myself every once in a while.

I'm heading down to Maggie Valley this spring by myself and I'm looking forward to it. I haven't been there in a long time.

A few days to myself. Me, my time, my schedule and that's very flexible. No other concerns or responsibilities. That's as close to true freedom as I can get these days.

LiiT

Old 02-08-2014, 06:18 PM
giacomo56
Road Warrior
Received 184 Likes on 145 Posts

I have the best if both worlds....my wife likes what i like, we get along better when we travel than at home...
We do rally's with lots friends, last Sturgis we were 10 couples 2 houses in Lead........
we do long rides with another couple that we get along magnificently....
But one of our rules is...we set a place to spend the night, we can ride together or apart, but we always end up at the same hotel/ motel for the night...and we stay in touch while away just in case of emergencies...

Old 02-08-2014, 06:28 PM
Ben E
Road Captain
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Love the pure freedom of solo touring/especially camping along the way. Sometimes it takes a day or two to get used to the solitude, but usually i am so stoked to get out there I don't care or notice...and once or twice i have come back a day early due to weather or just feeling like I shot my touring wad. I'd try riding with buds put the organizing seems like such a pita; and i always meet fine folks on the road. Good thread...thanks for posting.

Old 02-08-2014, 06:48 PM
curlydee
Road Master
Received 7 Likes on 3 Posts

I also like riding alone, but just cant get the hang of mixing at the end of the day. I am 61 so I dont expect that to change. Sociably inept, I mean I have gone 3 or 4 days with nothing more than Thankyou, food order, or got a room.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:04 PM
EasternSP
Banned
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 24,867 Likes on 9,332 Posts

Yeah, long trips by myself. Around the state with friends. Do a lot of day trips by myself just to get out an ride.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:18 PM
mikeman54
Supporter
Received 47 Likes on 43 Posts

Lots of great stories and comments on here always nice to get someone else's perspective.Although we don't personally know 99% of the folks on here we all pretty much have the same motives and reasons for our solo rides.The love of our machines and this beautiful place called the World that the big guy upstairs gave us to enjoy be it solo or with others. Ride Often,Ride Safe. Mike

Quick Reply: How many do solo trips?