Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

How many do solo trips?

Search this Thread

Old 02-07-2014, 10:13 PM
SPRINGER
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,270 Likes on 1,976 Posts

I am 63 and with the exception of 2 rallys that I went to, I ride alone. I enjoyed the time that I rode with somebody else but I personally like the feeling of being able to come and go as I please, so riding alone, whether for short or long trips, really doesn't bother me. Matter of fact. one of my last long trips was about 1000 miles and I enjoyed it completely but each to his/her own.

Old 02-07-2014, 10:23 PM
airchuk
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

All of my trips were solo. It's too hard to keep track of a riding partner. I stop so much a riding partner would get very frustrated traveling with me.

Some of the trips were a few days, some much longer.

Old 02-08-2014, 01:18 AM
iamfree
Cruiser

most of the time i like the concept of people more than the reality. especially group rides. and i like the miles as well as the scenery and destination. so 80% of the time its solo. but my sig other is probably the most laid back person i've met. so the other 20% with her on the back is just fine.

Old 02-08-2014, 02:37 AM
103 sedona orange
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 220 Likes on 192 Posts

I usually take 3 to 4 solo trips a year to see family. I also enjoy that freedom. I also enjoy riding with my 2 best friends of over 30 years. I just turned 66 the other day & plan on keepin on, keepin on! Have you ever heard the song by Tim McGraw, 'Live Like You Were Dying'?

Old 02-08-2014, 06:44 AM
runnhrd
Road Master
Received 64 Likes on 46 Posts

Most of mine are. Other half does not ride and getting out is my stress relief.. This April heading to Florida to get lost for a week or two. Then in June heading to NY for the Lake George NY bike event.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:11 AM
Scarz
Road Master
Received 41 Likes on 25 Posts

I just returned from a solo trip and enjoyed it a lot. I was gone a week leaving Pensacola for Daytona then on to Clearwater area, then home. Timing was great in that I was gone while Pensacola was going through a few days of ice and light snow.

While I do enjoy riding alone at times, I can say that if my wonderful wife were still with me, I would not enjoy overnighters without her.

Old 02-08-2014, 07:21 AM
Cjacks
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am so glad I started this thread. I was starting to think I was the only one who rode alone. Hearing from so many who ride solo has reminded me why I have made so many trips by myself. Years ago I belonged to a BMW club and there were a couple Buds and we had some great trips together, but eventually our individual quirks and differences ended the shared riding experiences. I do envy guys who have wives that ride their own bikes but after 44 years of marriage I gave up on that one a couple decades ago. My longest trip was several years ago when I took 10 days and rode thru Nova Scotia to the northern tip of Newfoundland. If you ever want to go someplace different then Newfoundland might be a good choice. I ate lobster almost every day and drank with local fishermen and fisherwomen every nite. I forget the exact mileage I logged but I seem to remember it was more then 4000 miles. I remember one night I was in this bar in Cheticamp Nova Scotia drinking and talking with a bunch of local fishermen. I ask them what was the biggest lobster they ever caught? The more we drank the bigger the lobsters got. We drank till midnight and two of the guys invited me to go fishing with them at 4 am the next morning. It was a once in a life time experience.
Anyway, all this talk has me ready to start planning my trip to Bikeweek. I've been down ther many times before so I already know my favorite places. I really like A1A between. St. Augustine and Daytona, stopping at Flagler to watch the bikes come and go. I know a lot of people don't like Bikeweek but when you have been cooped up in northeast Ohio for 4 months some warm weather riding always is a good thing to do. I want to thank everyone for the responses and now that I know I am not the only one who rides solo, I am going to continue doing what I've been doing for 25 years.
CJ

Last edited by Cjacks; 02-08-2014 at 07:23 AM.
Old 02-08-2014, 07:58 AM
Eddy G
Road Master
Received 28 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by Cjacks
I started going on solo bike trips about 25 years ago. Most of these trips have been from 3 to 7 days. (2 or 3 times a year) I have also done a few trips with others and a few trips included my wife. However, my wife really doesn't like riding and only went to make me happy. Anyway, I kind of ended up just going by myself most of the time. For example, I live in NE Ohio and I've done the Blue ridge parkway more times then I can remember. For many years I was quite comfortable with going on trips by myself. However, on my last 2 or 3 trips I have not been as comfortable or enjoyed the trip by myself as much as I used to. On my last trip I ended up cutting the trip short and came home early. I am now thinking about going to Bikeweek but I am not sure if I want to go by myself. My wife has no interest in going. Every day I get up I feel different about my making the trip. I am getting older (64) and I am starting to think that has something to do with feeling different about traveling solo. I used to just go and enjoyed the freedom of going and doing whatever I wanted. My question is: Are there many others that go on trips solo or am I a dying breed? Also, have you enjoyed solo trips? I would appreciate hearing how others feel about riding solo. Thanks!
Our stories are very similar...I've ridden with friends from state to state but mostly been on my own....I've left Boston and done the Great lakes and Canada by myself on occasion and most of the eastern seaboard Maine to the Carolinas as west as Illinois and Indiana as a matter of fact....Most of my friends either couldn't get the time, do the long mileage, or just didn't have the interest....I even went so far as to buy my wife her own bike but that lasted a minute or so....It never bothered me to be on my own and I looked forward to every journey.....I've also had those same doubts and feelings the last few years about riding alone...I too cut my last couple of rides a little short at the end and went home....I still love being out there and enjoying the open road and when in the moment there isn't anywhere else I'd rather be....I never minded the alone time, I look forward to the quite and freedom But honestly lately I'm a find myself a little lonely (just a little) I just think I'd like to share more of it....I find it harder to explain to my wife and friends the sites, experiences and beauty of the trip....I know some would say why try but honestly I really do enjoy sharing those moments ...I'll keep doing what I do but it would be nice to spend at least part of a ride with some familiar faces along the way, that's all....

Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 AM
EricD10563
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 73 Likes on 40 Posts

Most of my road trips have been solo and I like it: but I miss having a partner once I've stopped. Have met plenty of people on the road though that have kept me entertained.

Old 02-08-2014, 08:13 AM
PaiN
Tourer

I'll admit, even though I've got 20+ years road riding under my belt I've never toured.....pretty sad, actually. My riding is day and weekend trips, spending my time making loops around New England and New York. Anyway, if my riding buds can't make it I have no problem going solo. When I'm out alone its rare that I make it through the first gas or coffee stop without meeting other riders to roll off a few miles with or just shoot the sh*t for a while.
This thread is making me really want to get out and try a long ride.....My Pops has been wanting me visit him in Venice, FL Hmmm.......

Quick Reply: How many do solo trips?