Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

You have 3 days in Vegas to ride. Where do you go?

Search this Thread

Old 01-14-2014, 09:06 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master
Received 98 Likes on 70 Posts

With the full list I'm looking at close to 1100 miles. If I cut out Bryce Canyon and the Grand Canyon, that would drop it down to 880. I won't be on the road Thursday until around 11 or so and I have to drop it off Sat by 5 so really I only get one good solid day of sun up to sun down riding. Is Bryce Canyon something I should really keep or should I drop something else?

Old 01-14-2014, 09:44 AM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

The reason I'm worried about 1100 in 3 (2.5) days is because last time I did 1300 in 5 (4.5) days and we felt rushed. Although we rode the PCH from Monterey down to LA and it was a slow pace. Are these roads the same? We did stop and see what we wanted to see but that put us in the next town late. I plan on doing some camping on this trip.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:42 AM
carcruizer1955
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blackness03
If going to LA is going to take away from all the good riding then I wont go there. I'm going there later in the year anyway. I don't mind riding far. I would ride to the million dollar highway if there was enough hours in the day. So right now Valley of fire, Zion and Bryce Canyon is on the list.

I've already rode through death valley. It was fun, but doubt I do it again.

Wow I just looked up the Lodge at the North Rim and it's completely booked for the entire month of May and almost all of June. Look like a really nice place though.

Monument valley looks like it would be a good solid ride, I've always seen pictures of that place and it looks like cool place to go. Think I could see everything on the list and make it to Monument valley on the 2ed day and then book it back to Vegas on the 3rd (and make it back by the drop off time at 5)? Or would that be pushing it too much?

If you want to stay at the North Rim Lodge you kind of have to put in some time on the web site. I went on a few times a day because people cancel ALL the time. It took me a couple weeks to get a room. Just check back often and when you see an opening call them right then and book. There are other places to stay that are not that far, but seeing the sunset and sunrise on the canyon is well worth it.

Old 01-14-2014, 11:56 AM
carcruizer1955
Cruiser

Originally Posted by Blackness03
The reason I'm worried about 1100 in 3 (2.5) days is because last time I did 1300 in 5 (4.5) days and we felt rushed. Although we rode the PCH from Monterey down to LA and it was a slow pace. Are these roads the same? We did stop and see what we wanted to see but that put us in the next town late. I plan on doing some camping on this trip.

Well IMO I would do comfortable days riding and stop and see more then just put miles on and watch things go by. There is so much to see out there. When you get out on the open road (between towns) you can do 55 or 60 mph. Roads are in nice shape so you won't get beat down with crappy roads. Zion is only about 10 miles long but I think we stopped about 10 times. I could have spent the whole day just at Zion. You can't see it all in 2.5 days so pick what you want and make the most of that. Any way you cut it its going to be some great sight seeing and riding.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:02 PM
rjg883c
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 556 Likes on 404 Posts

Originally Posted by slhanks4
I had to look that up, I wonder where they are getting across the river/canyon at?
I'm not sure, never having taken the route myself. Contact the bus company that goes that way and ask them. They probably have ads that can be found on the web. Or try the Arizona Highway Patrol or the state agency that handles tourism.

Old 01-14-2014, 01:04 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

Thanks. I wish I had more time. I think I'm just going to ride all the way to monument valley on the first day and camp. Then get up the next morning and ride rt12 to Bryce Canyon , get a hotel. Ride Zion on the last day on the way back to Vegas. Ends up being about 430ish miles on the first day, 320 on the 2ed, and 250 on the 3rd. I think if I get the most miles in on the first day and waste no time, that will leave me with plenty of time to see the good stuff once I get to Monument Valley and work my way back.

Last edited by CalypsoNotch93; 01-14-2014 at 01:06 PM.
Old 01-14-2014, 02:16 PM
carcruizer1955
Cruiser

There is a nice Hotel called "The View" its a little pricey because its on the Indian Res. Its right in the middle of the valley. But you are payiing for the view that's for damn sure.
Sounds like you will have a good ride on your route thought, enjoy!

Old 01-14-2014, 02:21 PM
heritageblue2013
Grand HDF Member
Received 577 Likes on 318 Posts

The bunny Ranch for sex and to pickup a smoking hot slightly used tour guide. Then the strip to bar hop. Then McDonalds when your broke.

Old 01-14-2014, 02:27 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

Originally Posted by carcruizer1955
There is a nice Hotel called "The View" its a little pricey because its on the Indian Res. Its right in the middle of the valley. But you are payiing for the view that's for damn sure.
Sounds like you will have a good ride on your route thought, enjoy!
I seen that. Nice place to stay for sure but more then I'm wanting to pay. If I had the women with me I would prob stay there. I'm going to stay at Gouldings Lodge Campground. Any recommendations on places to stay in Bryce Canyon? Looks like it gets very cold there at night so I think i'll hotel it that night. Trying to find a cheap place close to a bar.

Originally Posted by heritageblue2013
The bunny Ranch for sex and to pickup a smoking hot slightly used tour guide. Then the strip to bar hop. Then McDonalds when your broke.
I can only imagine how ugly and worn out the girls are at the bunny ranch.

Old 01-14-2014, 03:26 PM
CalypsoNotch93
Road Master

Any good places to eat and get a beer out that way or along the way?

Quick Reply: You have 3 days in Vegas to ride. Where do you go?