Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Sturgis 2014 Romm Reservation info at Black Hills State University

Search this Thread

Old 01-05-2014 | 03:35 PM
OV-10
Advanced

The School of Mines in Rapid City also rents out air-conditioned dorm rooms. $380 for four nights (includes breakfast) +$95 each additional night.
https://sdmines.sdsmt.edu/cgi-bin/gl...gi?restypeid=1

Last edited by OV-10; 01-05-2014 at 03:38 PM.
Old 01-05-2014 | 03:52 PM
davidwruth
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by hdrider1
What price did you pay at the Holiday Inn?? Just for grins I checked and they are fully booked, but the Holiday Inn Express in Sturgis still has rooms starting at $540 per night + tax.
I got it for free with points. I travel a lot for work so I am able to stay for free just about as often as I want. I paid for the rooms on that trip and last years trip for five of us for two weeks

Old 01-05-2014 | 05:52 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member

PM sent

Old 01-06-2014 | 07:25 AM
hdrider1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by OV-10
The School of Mines in Rapid City also rents out air-conditioned dorm rooms. $380 for four nights (includes breakfast) +$95 each additional night.
https://sdmines.sdsmt.edu/cgi-bin/gl...gi?restypeid=1
That looks like a viable alternative -- thanks for the info. Rapid City is about 30 miles from Sturgis while Spearfish is about 20 miles away (on the other side of Sturgis). I personally think Spearfish is a better/more central location for the great riding and to Deadwood, but that's just a personal preference -- others might prefer to be nearer to Rapid City.

Have you ever stayed in the Dorm Rooms there? The website wasn't very descriptive other than the rooms are air conditioned and they seem to have more flexibility on dates and length of stay, and slightly more expensive. I'd be interested in hearing personal experiences with staying there, and how it compares with the dorms at SDSU which I've stayed at multiple times.

Old 01-09-2014 | 06:20 PM
OV-10
Advanced

Originally Posted by hdrider1
That looks like a viable alternative -- thanks for the info. Rapid City is about 30 miles from Sturgis while Spearfish is about 20 miles away (on the other side of Sturgis). I personally think Spearfish is a better/more central location for the great riding and to Deadwood, but that's just a personal preference -- others might prefer to be nearer to Rapid City.

Have you ever stayed in the Dorm Rooms there? The website wasn't very descriptive other than the rooms are air conditioned and they seem to have more flexibility on dates and length of stay, and slightly more expensive. I'd be interested in hearing personal experiences with staying there, and how it compares with the dorms at SDSU which I've stayed at multiple times.
Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge. Just came across it when I was researching a place to stay when I went a few years ago. But ended up camping instead.

Old 01-09-2014 | 10:28 PM
hdrider1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by OV-10

Sorry, I don't have any first hand knowledge. Just came across it when I was researching a place to stay when I went a few years ago. But ended up camping instead.
OK, thanks. I sent them an e-mail asking for more info but they haven't responded. I looked at the web site and they have pictures of the rooms and showers. Rooms looked OK, but the showers didn't look like they offered much privacy. There also wasn't any info on parking or security - not much info at all other than the pictures and reservation form. Seems almost like they did it as an after thought -- certainly not as detailed and thorough as the BHSU info and newsletter that makes you seem genuinely welcome. I guess it could be an alternative if BHSU gets booked up.

Old 01-12-2014 | 02:00 AM
Bluraven
Grand HDF Member

Both, BHSU and SM&T are simple dorm rooms with communal baths.

I've never stayed at BHSU or SM&T during the rally, but my Wife is an alumni of BHSU and spent her freshman year in the dorms. I stayed there with her almost every weekend so I know the rooms well. (only got caught 3 times) .

I know people who have stayed at the SM&T and they thought it was adequate, but you don't want to stay at either place if you like to party. I think they both have "quiet" hours and neither allow alcohol.

My opinion is if you don't want to camp, start trying to find a hotel but be prepared to spend a pretty penny for a place to lay your head at night.

I've been doing the pre-Sturgis (1-2 weeks prior to the Rally) for the last few years and the prices are half than during the Rally, the riding is the same and most Sturgis vendors are up and running.

Last edited by Bluraven; 01-12-2014 at 02:02 AM.
Old 01-12-2014 | 09:59 AM
hdrider1
|
Tourer

Originally Posted by Bluraven

My opinion is if you don't want to camp, start trying to find a hotel but be prepared to spend a pretty penny for a place to lay your head at night.
I would agree that if you're into partying then maybe the dorm is not the way to go. But the no alcohol policy is pretty lenient as long as you're not blatant about it and yes, it's pretty quiet.

I go to Sturgis to see the sights, for the riding, and to soak in the atmosphere, but after all is said and done I want a quiet place to get a good nights sleep out of the weather in a reasonably close location. I don't like to camp (been there, done that) and refuse to pay the highway robbery hotel prices. It's not for everyone, but ideal for some like me.

Thanks for the input and your thoughts on the subject.

Old 01-14-2014 | 01:56 PM
Architect
Seasoned HDF Member

Holiday Inn in Spearfish was almost $300/night for the final weekend in 2013. Oh and it is a dump.

This place looks very nice and right down the block from Holiday Inn. All works for me, EXCEPT no air conditioning????? Now that is roughing it?!?! Gotta draw the line somewhere.

Half kidding, if I was going this year I would look into it, really good bargain not far way from downtown at all. And at the northern entrance to Spearfish Canyon. We basically went through the canyon all three days to get to Sturgis, not too bad.

Old 01-16-2014 | 11:58 AM
hdrider1
|
Tourer

I just received an e-mail from the South Dakota School of Mines & Yechnology in Rapid City indicating that they now offer Rooms with IN ROOM bathrooms in addition to rooms with communal facilities.

You can get the latest registration form and info at:

http://www.sdsmt.edu/Campus-Life/The...cing-Services/

Prices for a Room with in Room Bathroom (and air conditioning and breakfast) are $123.75/night + tax with a 4 night minimum.

I have never stayed there, and the location is not as convenient as the BHSU in Spearfish, but the price and accommodations look like a viable alternative to those that don't want to camp and want an in Room Bathroom.

Quick Reply: Sturgis 2014 Romm Reservation info at Black Hills State University