Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Heading for Jasper, AB in August 2014

Search this Thread

Old 12-15-2013, 02:19 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 290 Likes on 142 Posts
Default Heading for Jasper, AB in August 2014

Ok it's winter there's snow on the ground and I am thinking about next years trip. We have 3 1/2 weeks maybe 4 and we are leaving from Lancaster county , Pa. On 8/13/14 Stopping in Milwaukee to check out the HD museum then up to Hill City, Mn to visit family. From there cross ND on 94 into Montana over the going to the sun road in glacier then north through Banff to Jasper from there thinking of turning south towards Idaho then east into Mt along rt 200 and south on 93 into Missoula Mt, then over Lolo Pass back into Idaho, then southeast over to the Grand Tetons. The roads we want to ride while we are out that way. Going to the sun road, Icefield parkway, Lolo Pass, Beartooth Highway, Chief Joseph Highway, bighorn scenic byway. For those that live out that way or have been in those areas any help on how to connect the roads or other places to see or roads to ride. We are thinking once we hit the Rockies to try and average 250 +/- miles a day on the road trying to find some interesting stops along the way. Any help or advice would be appreciated.

Old 12-15-2013, 02:46 PM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Well, from where I sit you've got a great plan already. At the risk of overselling this, that ride over the Sun Road and up to Jasper, Alta is an absolute knockout. Check out the Columbian Icefields between Lake Louise and Jasper and take that snow cat tour out onto the glacier. Also, that route you're looking at from Sandpoint, ID into Montana and down to Missoula on 200 is a fine ride. Missoula is a good town to overnight in...maybe one of those motels just west of 5 Guys Burgers on E. Broadway because they're pretty reasonable and within walking distance of downtown and Clark Fork River. The hwy. 12 west turnoff to head up to Lolo Pass is only about 15 minutes from there and on that highway up the Lochsa/Clearwater the sun will be at your back. High times ahead.

Old 12-15-2013, 09:19 PM
Silver Fox
Club Member
Received 46 Likes on 26 Posts

When we are coming back to Alberta from the USA we will go off hwy 89 onto 17 and cross into Canada at Chief Mountain Crossing.
In Canada you will be on hwy 6. Stay on hwy 6 going north and make your way to hwy 22.
Go north on hwy 22 to the town of Longview.
At Longview go west on hwy 541, it turns into hwy 40 and meanders along north and dumps you out on hwy 1.
Head west on hwy 1 to hwy 93 (The Icefields Parkway) Take hwy 93 north to Jasper.
That is a pretty scenic route,,,,if you like mountains. If you aren't going to stop in Lake Louise make sure you fill your bike up in Canmore. There is one gas stop before Jasper and it's pricy. I can make it to Jasper if I top up in Canmore.
A little side note. If any forum members are coming to Jasper or heading farther north we live just outside Jasper Park, and you are welcome to spend the night. We've had a handfull of members stop in on their way to Alaska. All good folks, and it is nice to meet other long distance riders. PM me if you want more info and to make sure we aren't out on a tour of our own.

Last edited by Silver Fox; 12-15-2013 at 09:21 PM.
Old 12-16-2013, 04:07 AM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member

Thanks for the tips. I think we will ride the Going to the Sun heading west then take 93 into Canada to 3 east then 40 north. I read that the cowboy trail is a nice ride I believe that is route 22, which one is a better ride 40 or 22 and how are the fuel stations coming that way from Whitefish Mt. We are then going to ride up the icefields parkway to Jasper then turn around the next day and head back down the same road but this time exiting onto 93 and following that down to 3 then 95 into Idaho. We want to be able to take our time the 2 days we are on the icefield parkway so the glacier bus trip looks like an interesting stop, and we though we would stop in Lake Louise maybe for lunch, aside from the parkway scenery is there something else we should make a point to see while we are in that area.

Old 12-16-2013, 11:07 PM
ss10641
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you need anymore info e-mail me I have guided route in the area you are visiting and have traveled these roads many times. Silver Fox sounds like he knows the area well and the tip about the fuel stop between Canmore and Jasper is dead on. The Kootenay Lakes area is a must and wouldn't be hard to make that work into your route. Revelstoke to Creston via Naksup and Ainsworth Hotsprings. We travel this route every year and never get enough of it. B.C / Idaho/Montana it doesn't get any better than that. But no matter what route you choose it won't be the wrong one!

Old 12-16-2013, 11:32 PM
ss10641
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't want to sidetrack this post in anyway, but I'm new to this forum (3 hrs old) and want to know if I can contact a member by e-mail? I have some questions about the Coeur d alene area. I would really like to discuss a few things with you mtgriz but couldn't figure outa way. It may b because I'm a newbie?

Old 12-17-2013, 10:07 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

Originally Posted by ss10641
I don't want to sidetrack this post in anyway, but I'm new to this forum (3 hrs old) and want to know if I can contact a member by e-mail? I have some questions about the Coeur d alene area. I would really like to discuss a few things with you mtgriz but couldn't figure outa way. It may b because I'm a newbie?
While logged in click on my screen name in this message and you will see an option to email me. Open your own profile and you'll see an option you can check to receive email from others. Hope that helps.

Old 12-17-2013, 10:20 AM
Dozer40
Road Warrior
Received 328 Likes on 176 Posts

It sounds like you already have a good plan staked out. If you only plan on 250 miles a day it gives you time to smell the roses and see the sites without being pushed. You'll be able to pull out your Rand McNally and make changes and stay on track.

Old 12-17-2013, 11:16 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Ultra Rider 07
Thanks for the tips. I think we will ride the Going to the Sun heading west then take 93 into Canada to 3 east then 40 north. I read that the cowboy trail is a nice ride I believe that is route 22, which one is a better ride 40 or 22 and how are the fuel stations coming that way from Whitefish Mt. We are then going to ride up the icefields parkway to Jasper then turn around the next day and head back down the same road but this time exiting onto 93 and following that down to 3 then 95 into Idaho. We want to be able to take our time the 2 days we are on the icefield parkway so the glacier bus trip looks like an interesting stop, and we though we would stop in Lake Louise maybe for lunch, aside from the parkway scenery is there something else we should make a point to see while we are in that area.
You have to take 22 north from hwy 3. Once you reach the town of Longview, about 1.5 hrs north, you will turn west on hwy 40.

Note that hwy 40 was washed out in a dozen or more places in the June flood this year. They closed the road for the rest of the summer and didn't do any repairs on it. It's always closed for the winter season. Next year they plan to start repairs on the road, but there is no guarantee when those repairs will be complete and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't open at all again next year. That road is low priority to repair since it's mainly a tourist road.

Check back before you go on your trip to see if it's open. Have an alternate plan in mind. For example take the 93 north to the Trans Canada.

Old 12-17-2013, 04:54 PM
Ultra Rider 07
Outstanding HDF Member

Originally Posted by zeus33
You have to take 22 north from hwy 3. Once you reach the town of Longview, about 1.5 hrs north, you will turn west on hwy 40.

Note that hwy 40 was washed out in a dozen or more places in the June flood this year. They closed the road for the rest of the summer and didn't do any repairs on it. It's always closed for the winter season. Next year they plan to start repairs on the road, but there is no guarantee when those repairs will be complete and I wouldn't be surprised if it didn't open at all again next year. That road is low priority to repair since it's mainly a tourist road.

Check back before you go on your trip to see if it's open. Have an alternate plan in mind. For example take the 93 north to the Trans Canada.
Thanks for the heads up on rt 40 it looks like 22 runs all the way to the Trans Canada. Or maybe we should run a little further north on 22 to route 1A. We were trying to ride up on the east side of the mountains then south on the west side.

Quick Reply: Heading for Jasper, AB in August 2014