Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Bob and Cheryl - Storm Chasers Trip West

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-2014 | 06:47 PM
Mike Willmont
Tourer

Encore, Encore.

Old 01-13-2014 | 08:20 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Sorry about having to miss Pike's Peak but you made the right decision IMO. Thanks again for the ride report.

Old 01-13-2014 | 09:21 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member

Very regrettable to not be able to make it up Pikes Peak, but living in TX, i understand you don't always get to do what you want, or have planned if Mother Nature isn't in the mood. From flash floods to blizzards to tornado's, I've seen them all, and things can get dangerous in a hurry.

Hopefully we get to see some pics on the return home. May seem boring, but i bet some interesting things either happened or were seen..

Old 01-13-2014 | 09:51 PM
nevada72
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks all. Yeah, we were pretty disappointed to get turned away from Pike's Peak. Even if we would have been willing to risk it, we were told that the visibility was next to zero, so what's the point? We live to try again.

Originally Posted by LoneBone

Hopefully we get to see some pics on the return home. May seem boring, but i bet some interesting things either happened or were seen..
I'm going to post up an epilogue of the ride home. While there were some points of mild interest, and a boring ride is way better than exciting work, there really isn't much to report. The ride back was, more or less, uneventful. But, that won't stop me from boring you guys with the highlights and a few pics.

Old 01-13-2014 | 09:53 PM
woodman
Ultimate HDF Member

What a great read. I enjoyed the ride.

Old 01-13-2014 | 11:01 PM
72Norton
Advanced

Thanks for taking the time to do these reports. Great stuff and inspiring!

Old 01-15-2014 | 12:43 PM
SilverEagle50
Road Captain

Awesome read. Thanks for sharing. This is the first time I've read anything that you have posted and you do an awesome job. I read all 11 pages of this post today (couldn't stop reading).

This inspires me to do a ride much the same as this (been considering it anyway). What would it be like to do this at the first of August? I know it will be very hot her in Oklahoma, but once we get to the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado, will it be cool enough to be enjoyable?

Look forward to seeing accounts of any future rides you do as well. It sounds like I need to go back and find some of the other posts that you have done.

Old 01-15-2014 | 05:28 PM
nevada72
|
Seasoned HDF Member

Thanks for the kind words gents!

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50
Awesome read. Thanks for sharing. This is the first time I've read anything that you have posted and you do an awesome job. I read all 11 pages of this post today (couldn't stop reading).

This inspires me to do a ride much the same as this (been considering it anyway). What would it be like to do this at the first of August? I know it will be very hot her in Oklahoma, but once we get to the mountains of New Mexico and Colorado, will it be cool enough to be enjoyable?

Look forward to seeing accounts of any future rides you do as well. It sounds like I need to go back and find some of the other posts that you have done.
Thanks Mike!

I posted some other "Bob and Cheryl" ride reports. I would link them but I'm using a tablet and I suck at copy and paste. Do a search and they should be easy to find. The first was our trip to PCH1 and all points in between. It covers a lot of ground and it was in August, which might answer some of your questions. The short answer it - Do it!

Old 01-15-2014 | 10:02 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Originally Posted by SilverEagle50

If you do Colorado and New Mexico in August prepare for two things, it will be hot and you will get wet. Monsoon season begins in July. This past season was the wettest we have had in a while. I could go out for a ride locally under blue skies and end up drenched two hours later. June works better if you can work that out. We are going to make our summer trip to Colorado and southern Utah in early June. It will still be cold in the mornings in the mountains and hopefully not too hot in Utah. Either way do it!

Old 01-15-2014 | 11:17 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Hey Bob, great ride report and a good read.

Too bad about Pikes Peak. I did it last summer on the way to Sturgis, it was worth doing. You'll have to make another trip back to knock it off the list, do Mt.Evans at the same time.

Independence pass was another good one. Looking at your pics brought back some good memories of a few yrs ago when me and the wife did it. Had our picture taken in front of the exact sign. lol.

Thanks for the report.

Quick Reply: Bob and Cheryl - Storm Chasers Trip West