Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southwest trip.....two weeks in early June '14

Search this Thread

Old 12-04-2013 | 10:45 PM
giacomo56
|
Road Warrior
Default Southwest trip.....two weeks in early June '14

Hi.....starting to plan a route for the southwest....trailering to Denver from Chicago ( boring ride might as well be comfortable ).dropping off car/trailer at friends house....Anyways i want to do alot of riding zig zagging the southwest...
What are the "must see"...

One caveat...i do NOT do well on high roads with sheer drop-offs...these must be avoided!!!

looking at Denver-Dennison-Durango-Albuquerque-Sedona-Flagstaff(grand canyon)-Vegas-StGeorges-Grand Junction-Denver.
Keeping in mind we are going to do the major national parks etc. etc.

Old 12-04-2013 | 10:52 PM
Dozer40
Road Warrior

You gotta check out Canyon De Chelly!

Old 12-04-2013 | 11:48 PM
hxturbo1
Tourer

You have to ride through Silverton and Ouray and ride the million dollar highway.

Old 12-05-2013 | 12:42 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Dennison? You mean Gunnison? SJ Ron

Old 12-05-2013 | 07:13 AM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by giacomo56

One caveat...i do NOT do well on high roads with sheer drop-offs...these must be avoided!!!
You might want to avoid the Million Dollar Highway if you want to avoid sheer drop-offs. In some places you're on a ledge with a drop-off of several hundred feet. But it's one gorgeous ride with spectacular scenery!!!

Old 12-05-2013 | 08:18 AM
hd_rolling
Supporter
Veteran: Army

If your going to be in Durango the train to Silverton is super cool, buy tickets in advance if you plan on trying this.

Old 12-05-2013 | 01:56 PM
giacomo56
|
Road Warrior

Doesn't look like they have ANY guard rails....jeez. I just hate that !!!

Old 12-05-2013 | 03:19 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

No guard rails on the 550 between Ouray and Silverton (Red Mtn. Pass) or even Molas or Coal Bank Passes between Durango and Silverton. I think you just need to put on your big boy pants and go for it. J/K. SJ Ron

Old 12-05-2013 | 04:20 PM
robertwy
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
No guard rails on the 550 between Ouray and Silverton (Red Mtn. Pass) or even Molas or Coal Bank Passes between Durango and Silverton. I think you just need to put on your big boy pants and go for it. J/K. SJ Ron
I agree, it's worth it.

Old 12-05-2013 | 08:49 PM
beammeup
Road Master

"One caveat...i do NOT do well on high roads with sheer drop-offs...these must be avoided!!!"

Now that is really funny with you starting from Denver since there is one mountain range after another starting right outside of Denver. There are 28 mountain passes (not mountain peaks) that are over ten thousand feet in Co.
I don't think there are more than a dozen guard rails in the whole state and just about every road has a straight drop off within spitting distance. Well, maybe that was because we sought them out. I'm not from CO but three of us did the Colorado Springs Hog Chapter Five in One Ride this summer (five mountain passes over 10k in one day) and I ended up putting on 2000 miles riding in Co. One of the guys after riding along the Black Canyon almost had a nervous breakdown and had to bug out out of CO.

Might want to buy this Butler Map of CO - excellent riding info and it is topographic which might come in handy for you. http://www.butlermaps.com/Motorcycle...1/Colorado-Map

Good Luck!

Quick Reply: Southwest trip.....two weeks in early June '14