Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Southwest trip.....two weeks in early June '14

Search this Thread

Old 12-05-2013 | 09:00 PM
Mike Horrell
Road Master

Most mountain roads in Colorado will have at least some stretches without guardrail because the snowplows
need somewhere to push the snow off the road. No.. I am *NOT* joking.. think about it.. the whole state
gets inundated with snow every winter and if the roads are to be kept open, that snow has to go somewhere
and guardrails won't let the plows push the snow off the road surface. Since the Rockies are steep, that means
that there are a lot of roads carved out of the mountainside which means minimal width and very deep drop-offs.

So... that means that just about every interesting area in the state will have roads with steep drop-offs,
often without either shoulders or guardrails. That's just the way it is and if this is a real issue for you,
Colorado is probably not a good riding destination for you.

Not criticizing, just stating..

Old 12-06-2013 | 07:37 PM
giacomo56
|
Road Warrior

Ok...i did half of Mt Evans up to Summit Lake....no problems until we got to the entrance, i spend the couple of hours having a drink and shopping while the group went to the top. I can do heights as long as the slope down is visible...went up to Estes Park/Rocky Mountain Park...continental divide no problems ... BUT what scares the crap out of me are the sheer drop offs...where i can't see the bottom. As long as we climb mountains and i can see the bottom and it's sloped i'm good. Zig Zagging up or down no problems.
Thank you for all of your insights and please keep them coming.

Old 12-06-2013 | 07:42 PM
checkers
Ultimate HDF Member

Originally Posted by giacomo56
Doesn't look like they have ANY guard rails....jeez. I just hate that !!!
Go to www.touringdepot.com lots of good stuff there.