Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-25-2013 | 07:29 AM
robertwy
|
Road Captain
Default Colorado question?

I've been to Colorado several times, but our next planned trip is a little different in August '14.

My previous trips have been with my oldest son and we generally move from place to place each day with the miles being 250-450. However our next trip is with some friends who've never been there and don't have experience with long trips.

So, the girls are going to fly to either Durango or Colorado Springs where we'll pick them up on the bikes. What I'm looking for is a good base from which we can do day loops in the range of 250 miles or so. Also, if some don't want to ride every day, it would be nice to be in walking distance of shopping, etc. for the girls to do while we're out riding.

My first choice was Ouray, but the shopping/entertainment is limited there. My second was Durango, but the lodging near downtown is pretty expensive.

Ideas??

Old 11-25-2013 | 07:34 AM
Owtlaw
Road Warrior

Durango has a free shuttle that runs Main Avenue. I stayed at the Siesta Motel and found it reasonable and enjoyable with a shuttle stop a half block down.

Old 11-25-2013 | 07:52 AM
robertwy
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by Owtlaw
Durango has a free shuttle that runs Main Avenue. I stayed at the Siesta Motel and found it reasonable and enjoyable with a shuttle stop a half block down.
Thanks, I didn't realize Durango had a shuttle. I looked it up on their website and think that may solve our problem.

However, other ideas are still wanted.

Old 11-25-2013 | 08:44 AM
GCSuper
Cruiser

My sis has a place in Flouresent ( sp ) It's just a few miles west of Colo Springs. We have visited several times and taken the bike. Any direction you want to go is great riding. Woodland Park is the closest town with lodging and there's plenty of it with reasonable pricing.

Old 11-25-2013 | 10:01 AM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

I would certainly vote for Durango. Durango is a small town but has the shopping on the main drag and the riding is superb in any direction. Obviously, 550 over Molas & Coal Bank to Silverton and over Red Mountain to Ouray is remarkable and well known, but there are many other rides in the area (Rico/Telluride Loop with Lizard Head Pass, Wolf Creek Pass to Creede and Slumgullion/Spring Creek Passes to Lake City, etc.). SJ Ron

Old 11-25-2013 | 10:13 AM
robertwy
|
Road Captain

Originally Posted by SanJuanRon
I would certainly vote for Durango. Durango is a small town but has the shopping on the main drag and the riding is superb in any direction. Obviously, 550 over Molas & Coal Bank to Silverton and over Red Mountain to Ouray is remarkable and well known, but there are many other rides in the area (Rico/Telluride Loop with Lizard Head Pass, Wolf Creek Pass to Creede and Slumgullion/Spring Creek Passes to Lake City, etc.). SJ Ron
I've ridden those routes several times and never tire of them. They are spectacular. I'm working on persuading everyone to make Durango our base. Thanks for your input.

Old 11-25-2013 | 12:03 PM
SanJuanRon
Outstanding HDF Member

Other great rides: Colo. National Monument (roughly 30 mile loop from GJT/Fruita), Grand Mesa (I like beginning near Blue Mesa heading thru Cederadge to GJT), and there is always eastern Utah (Moab, etc.), Monument Valley (although HOT in August), and NW NM. SJ Ron

Old 11-25-2013 | 10:28 PM
TwinCooled
Banned

Durango.

Old 11-25-2013 | 10:54 PM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Set your base in Aspen.

Old 11-25-2013 | 11:17 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

Bed and breakfasts in Durango area - and great day rides galor. Or Basalt area. Or Estes Park is great - stay at the YMCA and shuttles to downtown.

Quick Reply: Colorado question?