Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Colorado question?

Search this Thread

Old 11-28-2013 | 04:37 PM
Whiskers
Seasoned HDF Member

Gunnison! I helped a group from WI on a similar ride a couple years ago and they had a blast. Here's how it went: Denver to Frisco/Breckenridge, Salida and over to Gunnison (Day 1), Gunnison to Salida, Buena Vista, Independance Pass/Aspen/Carbondale/Hotchkiss, North Rim of Black Canyon (Day 2), Gunnison to Black Canyon National Park/Montrose/Ouray/Silverton/Durango (overnight there)(Day 3), Durango to Pagosa Springs/South Fork/Creede/Lake City/Gunnison (Day 4).

Have Fun

Old 11-29-2013 | 10:51 PM
tphillips
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by Whiskers
Gunnison! I helped a group from WI on a similar ride a couple years ago and they had a blast. Here's how it went: Denver to Frisco/Breckenridge, Salida and over to Gunnison (Day 1), Gunnison to Salida, Buena Vista, Independance Pass/Aspen/Carbondale/Hotchkiss, North Rim of Black Canyon (Day 2), Gunnison to Black Canyon National Park/Montrose/Ouray/Silverton/Durango (overnight there)(Day 3), Durango to Pagosa Springs/South Fork/Creede/Lake City/Gunnison (Day 4).

Have Fun
Good stuff - ambitious, but good.

Old 11-30-2013 | 02:06 AM
steel cat 41
Advanced

Durango,Siesta Motel shuttle bus out the front owners Larry and Marlene plenty of great rides (four corners,Mesa Verde,Mexican Hat,Silverton Million Dollar Hwy)

Old 12-12-2013 | 02:19 PM
zmotorsports
Cruiser

Durango is a good place but we prefer Ouray although we generally haul the bikes in the trailer behind the coach. We set up base camp at the KOA in Ouray, which is a great little campground, and then do day trips out of there.

This past August we met some friends that were staying in Olathe, just south of Montrose, and then took a day ride over to the Black Canyon of the Gunnison one day and another ride over the the Telluride area, which was a little too yuppy for me but the wife enjoyed it and then another day over into Silverton and walked the town.

We generally stay in Ouray for a week each August. We take the Jeep and the Harley and split the time between cruising the beautiful two-lane highways on the bike or hitting the trails in the Jeep. Fantastic and beautiful area.

Mike.

Old 12-12-2013 | 02:50 PM
r0de_runr
Road Warrior
Veteran: Army

Base camp in Montrose, day loops to Colorado National Monument, Four Corners, Moab Utah, Black Canyon, Craig, Gateway, the list goes on. I can provide maps and GPS files.

Old 12-13-2013 | 12:47 PM
robertwy
|
Road Captain

Thanks for all the suggestions, guys. Since I've been to Colorado on my bike several times, I've ridden most all of the suggested rides. I think I'll pick Ouray as the base and if there's not enough entertainment there for those that chose not to ride, too bad. After all, it is a motorcycle trip. And I intend to ride every day I'm there.

Old 12-13-2013 | 04:55 PM
BTB
Stage II

Robert-

Let the girls ride with you from Colorado Springs to Aspen (156 Miles in the summer over Independence Pass). There are dramatic elevation changes and some spectacular scenery. Leave the girls in Aspen. You and your buddy can take any number of great day trips and the ladies will have plenty to entertain them.

Old 12-13-2013 | 05:52 PM
jmorganroadglide
Big Kahuna HDF Member

Originally Posted by BTB
Robert-

Let the girls ride with you from Colorado Springs to Aspen (156 Miles in the summer over Independence Pass). There are dramatic elevation changes and some spectacular scenery. Leave the girls in Aspen. You and your buddy can take any number of great day trips and the ladies will have plenty to entertain them.
Robert, don't ever leave your wife and credit card unsupervised in Aspen, Colorado. Molly Hatchet-Flirtin with Disaster

Old 12-13-2013 | 09:19 PM
BTB
Stage II

Originally Posted by jmorganroadglide
Robert, don't ever leave your wife and credit card unsupervised in Aspen, Colorado. Molly Hatchet-Flirtin with Disaster
JMorgan-

So true. I didn't say it would be cheap. I just said that they would be entertained!

Old 12-13-2013 | 09:40 PM
continentaldrifter
Tourer

Hello, i live in Montrose and have ridden every single rode previously mentioned and have a few questions:
Why not split the trip in two, having two bases, one being south west Co and the other in the north?

I would agree with one reply to stay in Ouray but only for the first half, Mesa Verde, over Lizard ,Tellurideone day......than the Alpine Loop, Silverton, Durango, Pagosa Springs, Lake City....to be enjoyable can easily suck up the entire day, then Grand Mesa, Hotchkiss, Black Canyon North & South.....

Then the second half you do the same style but in Aspen....

Its very hard to see the whole state, the scenic way in two weeks, yes you can see it but getting off the bike to absorb it takes a spell...

My buddy from NY comes out every year and we'll do about 5000-6000 miles over a 5-6 week timeframe....and still long for another two weeks.....

Keep us posted as to your decision, would love to give info or help for you guys if needed.

BTW....next year is ALL Montana, time frame tbd.

Quick Reply: Colorado question?