Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Daytona Biketoberfest day 1

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2013, 10:40 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts
Cool Daytona Biketoberfest day 1

First time I have gone on opening day; are there always so many empty spaces?
The lot near Dirty Harrys was parking, the space where Corbin and HD used to be was empty too.

Usually theses spaces are packed with merch and food vendors.
What gives?

Old 10-19-2013, 05:42 AM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

IMO, in spite of what officials say publicly, I think the city of Daytona Beach is getting what they want. Less vendors, less bikers, less noise, less partying, and eventually the total elimination of Biketoberfest and Bike Week. Let's face it, its really "Ormond Beach Bike Week" already. Now, if they could just figure out a way to keep the bikers who want to get from Ormond to Port Orange and Edgewater out of Daytona, they'd really be happy!

Old 10-19-2013, 06:54 AM
Larry Davis
Tourer
Received 22 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
IMO, in spite of what officials say publicly, I think the city of Daytona Beach is getting what they want. Less vendors, less bikers, less noise, less partying, and eventually the total elimination of Biketoberfest and Bike Week. Let's face it, its really "Ormond Beach Bike Week" already. Now, if they could just figure out a way to keep the bikers who want to get from Ormond to Port Orange and Edgewater out of Daytona, they'd really be happy!
Hey! Come on over! Think "Thunder Beach"! Panama City Beach loves bikers!

Old 10-19-2013, 09:21 AM
kajunkruzer
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Larry Davis
I agree with this statement 100%. Been to Daytona once, and PCB 3 or 4 times. PCB wins hands down, the businesses don't try to *** rape you for every nickle and dime and the area is more than happy to have the rallies there.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:06 AM
Florida Swamp Yankee
Road Captain
Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

The news said that there are less vendors because the event has spread out so much.
I call BS on that one. There has always been other things going on outside of Main St. I hit them all if the weather is good, on my way to the Cabbage Patch as soon as I fill the hump at Mel's Diner, probably will hit Iron Horse or the Rats Hole show.

Weather is awesome maybe a little too warm!

Old 10-19-2013, 11:28 AM
V-Man
Supporter

Originally Posted by Larry Davis
LOVE PCB! Haven't ridden down there yet, but it's definitely on my list! Have been to a riding buddy's condo there twice and had an absolutely fabulous time on both occasions. Good to know they're so bike friendly.

Old 10-19-2013, 11:33 AM
mp535th
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree. Not to impressed with Daytona will start traveling further out in the future....

Old 10-19-2013, 02:01 PM
Daytona Fat Boy
Road Warrior
Received 187 Likes on 151 Posts

Once again, this is only my opinion. If you look at Sturgis and Laconia, they both have ridiculously high prices for lodging, food, etc, just like Daytona. The difference at those sites is they act like they want you there. They "cater" to the bikers to the best of their ability. They both have certain streets open to motorcycles only. The merchants smile at you. You feel welcome by the businesses and the cities. Bikers are willing to spend money for a good time, just make them feel like you appreciate them instead of acting like they are a pain in a**. Daytona won't change. Hell, Leesburg, a 3 day event in April, is bigger than Biketoberfest. Give me a break.

Old 10-19-2013, 10:44 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer

Originally Posted by Daytona Fat Boy
Once again, this is only my opinion. If you look at Sturgis and Laconia, they both have ridiculously high prices for lodging, food, etc, just like Daytona. The difference at those sites is they act like they want you there. They "cater" to the bikers to the best of their ability. They both have certain streets open to motorcycles only. The merchants smile at you. You feel welcome by the businesses and the cities. Bikers are willing to spend money for a good time, just make them feel like you appreciate them instead of acting like they are a pain in a**. Daytona won't change. Hell, Leesburg, a 3 day event in April, is bigger than Biketoberfest. Give me a break.
I totally agree. We just got back from NW Arkansas at Bikes Blues and BBQ and rode a two hundred mile radius from the rally and received a warm reception from everyone we came in contact with. This has just replaced the space coast for me forever! FT