Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best GPS available

Search this Thread

Old 10-15-2013, 04:28 PM
Baitweller
2nd Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Best GPS available

Does anyone know what GPS device/brand allows you to select your own route? Like most of us we take the best riding roads from point A to B. What GPS allows a custom route to be selected and then played back at the start of the trip? I have asked Garmin this and they stated that their units have a feature called "off-road" that allows back roads Vs main highways. Not exactly what I'm looking for. You get a map and pre-select your route then download that route to your GPS. Clearly we would want to modify the route should we change our plans and according to Garmin this can only be done with a laptop back at home, not on the fly. Any suggestions on what is out there?

thanks in advance for taking the time to read this request
Baitweller in Florida

Old 10-15-2013, 05:10 PM
billnourse
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 42 Likes on 35 Posts

I have a 660 Zumo Garmin that I just program the route into the unit. It can be customized any way you want by just putting in waypoints to make the route go where you want. To modify, just go to the edit feature in your custom route and change what you want. Do it this way and you can put your route in on a daily basis.

Just travelled 6,200 miles and 25 states without any real issues, and made a lot of changes along the way.

Bill

Old 10-15-2013, 05:37 PM
mtbottles
Tourer
Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Think most GPS systems allow you to create your own maps and import them. You may be able to do it with google maps and import.

I have A Garmin ZUMO 550 and use their software called base camp. I create my own path and transfer it to my GPS.

Old 10-15-2013, 11:06 PM
Fathertime500
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have had the same problem with my Garmin 2555. I just use my Google smartphone to find my route then plug the finish line into the Garmin with waypoints between the start and finish. FT

Old 10-17-2013, 07:30 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

If your Garmin unit allows custom routes, then you can design any route you want. I have used Garmin Base Camp (it's free on their website), MapQuest, Harley's Ride Planner and Garmin's MapSource which they are not updating anymore.

Create the route on the computer and then transfer it to the unit. You can modify any of your custom routes on the unit, it just takes a little longer.

I usually pre-plan a route for each day of my trip and transfer them to the unit, so all I have to do each morning is select that day's trip and go.

Old 10-26-2013, 07:46 AM
robertwy
Road Captain
Received 21 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally Posted by robertwy
If your Garmin unit allows custom routes, then you can design any route you want. I have used Garmin Base Camp (it's free on their website), MapQuest, Harley's Ride Planner and Garmin's MapSource which they are not updating anymore.

Create the route on the computer and then transfer it to the unit. You can modify any of your custom routes on the unit, it just takes a little longer.

I usually pre-plan a route for each day of my trip and transfer them to the unit, so all I have to do each morning is select that day's trip and go.
One other thing I learned the hard way. If your Garmin device has "Trip Planner" as it's routing software, it's almost impossible to navigate a custom route. Trip Planner does not allow you to skip a waypoint you may have created to force your route to go a certain way. For example, I may have clicked on some town name to force the route through that town. However, the point in that town that the software uses (usually the center point of the town) may not be on the main road through that town. If you skip touching that point, the device constantly tries to make you go back to that point.

The Garmin devices made for motorcycles do not use that software. I've had a Zumo 550 and now use a Zumo 665. If, as in the example above, you miss a particular point but after passing through the town are back on your original planned route, the device forgets about that point and continues along your planned route.

Old 10-26-2013, 10:56 AM
mrmikey32
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

my phone does it. I just plan it out on my computer, then send it to the phone.

Love it

Old 10-27-2013, 12:48 PM
Tutorman883
Cruiser
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Garmin has the Zuma gps line and TomTom has the Rider gps . TomTom web site has a list of gps that will do Itineraries. And that (Itineraries) is what your looking for Garmin calls it something else, gpx routes it think. You want to be able to change a waypoint while in route. NOT having to change it on your laptop then uploading. Thats not convenient at all.
There is another brand "World GPS ??" I DL there manual and they do Itineraries but I would like to see one before I spend the money for one.
Amazon.com: Motorcycle&Car GPS Navigator ,Waterproof, 3.5" touch screen,Fully Loaded USA Maps With Two batteries &4GB SD Map Card: Electronics Amazon.com: Motorcycle&Car GPS Navigator ,Waterproof, 3.5" touch screen,Fully Loaded USA Maps With Two batteries &4GB SD Map Card: Electronics
of all of these of course the Garmin Zumo 665LM is the best but at over $700.00 it's not gona happen not for me anyway.