Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Turned trouble into opportunity -In spite of Visa fraud policy

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2013, 12:17 AM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts
Default Turned trouble into opportunity -In spite of Visa fraud policy

For my annual road trip this year I decided between three that I wanted to do. One was ride U.S. 2 which goes coast to coast in the U.S. just below the Canadian border, do the PCH below San Francisco( I did Seattle to San Francisco previously) or do the ride to Yellowknife in the North West Territories.

Even though it was a little latter than I planned to go, I decided on Yellowknife.
Checked the route on the internet, researched what others found on the ride. The NWT Riders Assoc. Had some good posts, videos and info on the ride.

Made 700 miles from my house in Illinois through Minnesota on I-94 and up US 52 almost to the Border. Stayed at a dumpy Super 8 and started early Sat. The border crossing into Saskatchewan took only a couple minutes and off I went on 39 to Regina and then 11 to Saskatoon. At a gas stop in Saskatoon my CC was declined. The attendant would not take USD. I dug into my saddle bags for some old Canadian coins from my coin collection that I started in grade school and keep up until the 60's when I lost interest.

Some were old silver Canadian coins and some as old as 1919. My idea was to use them as tips when I ate at restaurants. That is my way of having some fun each day. The silver melt value of the coins would be about $4.

They totaled up at $17 and I added $3 US and the attendant accepted that. Wasted about 45 minutes with that. Tried to make Edmonton but as the sun went down, I could not keep my face shield clean of bugs to see. So I stopped at Lloydminster just on the border to Alberta for a total of 818 miles.

The first two stations there would not take USD the third said when I asked if he would take USD "Money is money. I will take your money" and he laughed. He did explain that the banks would accept the deposit from his bussiness with no service fee for mixed money. It was all the same to them.

He warned that some stations would charge fees. I went to the Motel next to the gas station. They advised that there would be a 5% fee for USD and since I was paying cash they would require a $250 damage deposit.

I counted out the cash. And told them that the card would work in the AM and I would use it instead of the cash payment. They had never heard of the Visa policy that the card would work three times per day when the holder was not in his home area. But, if the holder would call them prior to the trip and advise of the route and destination it could be used with no limits. With one qualification on weekends and holidays it would trigger a denial on the fourth use. The place being used was to verify that it was the proper card holder and put the charge through. Absolutely no one knew that or how to do it.

The next morning the card worked. The desk clerk was surprised. She said excitedly "It went through" She had been passed on the story and like the others did not believe a card would be denied and yet work the next day.

As I loaded up for the trip to Edmonton a new problem started. The battery was weakening. It would barely start the motor. The motel did not have breakfast included. I went down the street and there was a Husky truck stop. They would change USD for a 10% fee. I gave them a 20 got 18 back and ordered breakfast. I stopped in Edmonton since it was Sunday the HD dealer was not open. I stopped at a restaurant for lunch and used my last Canadian cash. They had wifi so I checked the route from there to Yellowknife and saw that only three uses per day with the card would cause difficulties. I had already used one for the day and I would need one for lodging that night.

No banks were open to get a **** pot of Canadian dollars. And there was the issue of the ever weakening battery. I was letting the motor cool off at each stop. It seemed to start a little better when the engine was not hot. Could I make it to Yellowknife where there was a HD dealer to get a battery. Would I have the ability to use the USD on the road up to Yellowknife?

The more I though about it, I decided to go with plan B. Looked at the map and saw that if I went straight south, I could get to the US faster and do the Route 2 trip I wanted. Also, I could go to Willitston and see what the oil boom was all about then drop down to Sturgis to look around when there were not zillions of other bikers.

I did make less miles each day with waiting for the bike to cool before starting it. The battery slowly got weaker each time but got me to a dealer for replacement. Got past the Holiday and I was back to melting the card as much as I wanted.

I had the Visa card since 1971 through my credit union. They told me that it was not their policy but Visa's. It seems when a card/number is stolen, it gets used multiple times in a short period. So to cut their losses they have a policy to cut it off at three uses out of the card holders home area. If you are going on a trip you call them and tell them your plans. That is supposed to take care of it. Except weekends and holidays when only the computer is working and not staff to over ride it.

It may not impact a traveler by car because it is not as likely to hit more than three uses per day. But a motorcyclist especially like me that needs four to five fill ups per day plus motel. My lesson learned is I will finally get a second card.

I will do the Yellowknife trip next year and start on a Monday. When I cross the border, I will stop at the first bank and get a pile of $Canadian.

The trip down US2 was interesting and worth it. Williston was amazing. The traffic, the construction and chaos. The evidence of the boom was all the way south to S. Dakota with new motels, businesses and oil wells.

Sturgis was not as vacant as I thought it would be. Still many motorcycles going around town. On I-90 back to Minnesota had a constant flow in the west bound lane.

Visa and the battery tried to deal me lemons, but I made lemonade.

Old 09-06-2013, 12:36 AM
zeus33
Big Kahuna HDF Member
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

Great to hear that you made it in spite of not having a CC. I didn't know about the 3 time deal either. I have been denied by mastercard for spending out of country. But all I did was call them and after them verifying my identity they updated my records with my trip and all was well after that. On a side note, usually when I travel I have a spare card with me. My main card is a mastercard, I'll bring an american express just in case the MC gets lost or has a problem.

Anyway, good to hear you had a good trip. The side benefit, next year when you decide to do Yellowknife I'll hook up with you and tag along.

Old 09-06-2013, 06:51 AM
Grandslam
Road Warrior
Received 338 Likes on 209 Posts

My card was turned off after traveling through 11 states over a two week period, spending five nights in Sturgis and one night in Cody. Turned off on Saturday. I was kind of ticked off there is no one to contact on weekends.

Glad your trip turned out ok. There were several lemons. I don't ever remember hearing about not taking US dollars.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:02 AM
jeffreydsilver
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 165 Likes on 114 Posts

Glad to hear that everything worked out for the better. Why didn't you just call the credit card company while on the road to let them know that you would be on a trip and using it more than normal? Why didn't you just go to any Canadian bank and get a cash advance on the card? I had always thought that using a credit card in a foreign country charged the foreign countries price and then converted the bill to the American dollar equivalent? Just thoughts that had occurred to me.

Last edited by jeffreydsilver; 09-06-2013 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-06-2013, 09:45 AM
drew4jan
Road Master
Received 45 Likes on 32 Posts

I always call well in advance and let the CC company know that I will be traveling out of the country and the exact dates so as to avoid such difficulties. I also have my bank get me local currency to take with me. I have a stash of foreign currency just in case also. Found some old German Duetch Marks before I went to Canada in July and converted them into Canadian at the airport.

Glad your trip ended with only a few lemons.

Old 09-06-2013, 10:14 AM
cayers
Extreme HDF Member
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good to hear everything worked out for you!

Old 09-06-2013, 03:43 PM
CurtisO
Tourer
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In between jobs a few years back I was riding everyday. After a week or so I get a call from credit card company telling me they suspected fraud on my card. Seems someone was charging around $15 dollars twice a day in gas stations not real close to my house. I had to explain it was me taking advantage of my employment status and enjoying some miles. They turned my card back on.

Old 09-06-2013, 07:06 PM
lh4x4
Extreme HDF Member
Received 932 Likes on 574 Posts

It was the three day US Holiday. No one to answer the phone at Visa and the problem surfaced after the banks in Canada were closed Saturday evening.

The problem was Visa Fraud Policy. I did as always call a week before and reported the route and start end time. That only works for Visa on weekdays.

Week ends the computer shuts the card off at three uses (when you're out of you home area). The vendor is to check the ID and input the card. Not one single place knew what to do. Half of the stations refused USD. But it seemed like most cashiers were 19 and just started the job.

It didn't bother me much. I just made a new plan.

As I said I will have two credit cards next year, start on a week day and go to the first bank across the border for many Canadian dollars.

Or, I could go in a motor home with the air on and stereo blasting.