Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need input on trip through upstate New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old 09-04-2013, 03:29 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need input on trip through upstate New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire

I'm starting to plan a trip for next year to Upstate New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire from Indianapolis. We will end up in western Maine. I'd like suggestions on places to see, roads to ride, and places to eat along the way. I really appreciate the help you guys have given me in the past when planning trips. This is the place to come to get great information!

Some other information - We will probably take the super slab to Cleveland, because there isn't much to see that I haven't already seen between Indy and Cleveland. But after Cleveland, I'd like to stay off the super slab as much as possible. We want to find good roads and places to eat as we head through the Finger Lakes area and the Adirondacks. Need to find best roads across Vermont and New Hampshire to reach the Bethel, Maine area.

Thanks for any help!

Old 09-05-2013, 02:48 AM
mcso
Tourer
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts
Default nh

https://www.hdforums.com/forum/road-...-complete.html

We stayed in Lincoln NH at the Kancamagus Lodge. Decent. On 112 or Kancamagus Hwy. From Lincoln there is about a 100 mile loop around the white mountains. It'll take all day if you stop to explore as we did. As mentioned in my thread the trip to the summit of Mt. Washington is cool.

We crossed Canada through north NY. I don't recall the roads as we had a four day stay in Lincoln to get to but nothing tickled me as a must do. When we travel we stay off interstates as much as we can.....kind of see the real America if you will. I recall the Lake Placid area was neat. If you go to main draw a line half way across the state and stay north of that line to avoid traffic.

Old 09-05-2013, 02:51 AM
sgreen10
5th Gear
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

while in new york if you are able to hit up any of the finger lakes all are great rides

Old 09-05-2013, 03:38 AM
roadglider05
Road Master
Received 79 Likes on 67 Posts

Once you are in central NY, From Syracuse North there is great riding. You could stay on
I 81 North to top of NY Alexandria Bay, SR12 N along through Thousand Island region, beautiful on a sunny day, or hit utica run SR28 up through middle of Adirondack State forest to Eastern NY and catch I87 to Vermont, No bad way to go once in NY, excellent riding and scenery. Have a great trip and watch for deer after dusk.

Old 09-05-2013, 05:41 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

You should take route 6 through PA. Stop at Kinzua Dam, Kinzua Bridge State Park, and PA Grand Canyon. After that, head north on 15 to the fingerlakes. Also, Google Letchworth State Park in NY. Except for Letchworth, might as well ride through PA & have stuff to look at! When you get to Mansfield PA & route 15, that's where you need to head north to the fingerlakes anyway. It's only about an hour or less to the tip of some of the lakes. I can help with you with info about upstate NY if you want more, but others can probably tell you more about New England than I can.

Old 09-05-2013, 06:27 AM
kokemill
Road Master
Received 34 Likes on 32 Posts
Default Stowehof Inn in Vermont

We did the Vermont, New Hampshire, bit of Maine during Laconia this year. Of all the places we stayed I would only go back to the Stowehof Inn in Stowe Vermont. It is on Route 100, I found it by chance after reading Laconia threads that recommended Route 100 and browsing through one of the booking sites. You can call the hotel directly- they gave a good deal.

I was worried at first, we were the only bike there. I shouldn't have been- we were treated like royalty and C and I finished the evening drinking wine by the pool under the stars with the owner. Did I say free wine?

If you are looking for a new Hilton stay away. The Stowehof is old school wood ski lodge, brass keys and clean. It was like landing on the set of Dirty Dancing, complete with shuffleboard courts. I called C "baby" the entire time.

Looks like that free wine is now payed for.

regards
dean

Old 09-05-2013, 06:33 AM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Last month we did a simular tour, I would reccomend checking out the Catskill mountains if you can and on they way back we stayed in Gettysburg, well worth the trip and the ride on rt 30 back West was nice. Of course the Addironacks were nice as well, just expect cooler weather, we were there in early August and in the morning it was still low 50's.

Old 09-05-2013, 07:14 AM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

Rte. 20 runs right along the top of the fingerlakes. It goes through a lot of towns but you can still make decent time. Any sights around the fingerlakes can easily be accessed from rte 20 and lodging is everywhere.
Heading NE into the Adirondacks I highly recommend Rte 8 up through the mountains. There are some beautiful mountain lakes along the way. Rte 8 will take you to Lake George and you could then head to Vermont.
Hit Bennington Vermont and check out the covered bridges and monument. You could check them all out in as little as an hour if you wish or you can take your time and grab a meal while there. Lots of good restaraunts in Bennington...and lots of quirky painted animals (catamounts).
In NH if you do nothing else, ride to the top of Mt. Washington. It isnt THAT tall of a mountain but the climate change is unreal at the top.

Last edited by zeke383; 09-05-2013 at 07:16 AM.
Old 09-05-2013, 07:54 AM
elecwiz1
Tourer
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Geezr Glidr
You should take route 6 through PA. Stop at Kinzua Dam, Kinzua Bridge State Park, and PA Grand Canyon. After that, head north on 15 to the fingerlakes. Also, Google Letchworth State Park in NY. Except for Letchworth, might as well ride through PA & have stuff to look at! When you get to Mansfield PA & route 15, that's where you need to head north to the fingerlakes anyway.
I disagree with the highlighted sentence. I would not go all the way to Mansfield. I would go north on route 287 NorthEast of Wellsboro. It is a beautiful piece of road the travels along through a valley then the Hammond Resevoir, ending up on route 15 North of Tioga anyway and cutting off several miles.

Sights to see PA Grand Canyon near Wellsboro, Corning Glass Museum. I would offer you many routes through the Finger Lakes area. I ride the Finger Lakes almost every day. I recently took a 5 day through the Adirondacks, Vermont, New Hampshire. I'm suggesting route 8 in the Adirondacks to start and then Route 30 and then route 3. . . beautiful. I am also suggesting riding North to Rouses Point and then route 2 back down through lake Champlain. I will suggest riding "The Gap" route 108 between Jeffersonville and Stowe Vermont. Riding route 100 through Vermont should be on every motorcylist's to do list, IMO. On the way home, if you can manage it, come back home through route 28 in the Catskills, then hit route 30 along the Pepacton Resevoir, that road is amazing to ride, Full of big sweepers, barely any intersecting roads, awesome untouched scenery. Stop at The Old SchoolHouse in Downsville NY when you get past the resevoir, great place. As for the Finger Lakes. . .what do you want to see? Hit me up when you're going, I'll play tour guide for the day.

Last edited by elecwiz1; 09-05-2013 at 07:57 AM.
Old 09-07-2013, 09:29 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 264 Likes on 131 Posts

I disagree with the highlighted sentence. I would not go all the way to Mansfield. I would go north on route 287 NorthEast of Wellsboro. It is a beautiful piece of road the travels along through a valley then the Hammond Resevoir, ending up on route 15 North of Tioga anyway and cutting off several miles.

Sure, 287's a nice ride. Cuts off the angle between 6 & 15 Ozoneman, you can map it out. I meant that (in my opinion) you should be heading north by the time you get to 15 in Mansfield, but you don't HAVE to go to Mansfield to get 15. Try 287. It's a good road.

Quick Reply: Need input on trip through upstate New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire