Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need input on trip through upstate New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2013, 09:05 AM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by elecwiz1
I would offer you many routes through the Finger Lakes area.
Thanks, I need more info about how to ride thru the Finger Lakes area if I'm coming from the west (Letchworth) and then heading northeast toward the Adirondacks. Thanks for all the other information as well.

Last edited by Ozoneman; 09-08-2013 at 09:09 AM.
Old 09-08-2013, 07:08 PM
Rich67
Road Captain
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Thanks for startin this thread Ozoneman,planning the same trip up that way next summer. So far shootin for Bar Harbor as a turn around point.

Old 09-08-2013, 08:55 PM
bones519
2nd Gear

A great place for dinner in the Adirondacks is the Tap Room at the Melody Inn in the Lake Pleasant/Speculator area. I've eaten there twice on different trips and the food is superb. The rooms are okay (stayed there once) but you can find better. Some beautiful lakes and nice riding in that area.

If you're into some history, Fort Ticonderoga is pretty cool to see and there's a little ferry ride close by that'll take you across to Vermont.

Another good place to stay in the Stowe area is the Timberholm Inn. Excellent hosts, comfortable inn and very clean. There's a great Italian place, Piecasso Pizzeria, on Mountain Road that serves some of the best pizza that I have ever had. Keep going up Mountain Road past Mount Mansfield and you arrive at Smugglers Notch. Really something to see and ride.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:05 AM
elecwiz1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Ozoneman
Thanks, I need more info about how to ride thru the Finger Lakes area if I'm coming from the west (Letchworth) and then heading northeast toward the Adirondacks. Thanks for all the other information as well.

Quickest way? Scenic way? Looking to stay somewhere? Want to visit any museums or anything? Let me know what you're looking to do. I can offer some roads.

Some options, Corning Glass Museum, Classic Car Museum in Norwich, Glen Curtiss Airplane/engines/motorcyle museum, Winery tour routes, Multiple Water falls and Cooperstown Baseball hall of fame.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 AM
PrkChps
Advanced

In Vermont: Route 17 is one of the best motorcycle roads I have ever been on, but the pavement can be in bad shape in spots. At the Route 100 end of 17, I recommend the Hyde Away Inn in Fayston. Motorcycle friendly with covered parking for bikes in their barn, reasonable room rates, and a great restaurant/bar with pool table and an outdoor deck. Head north on 100 after that to US 2 east. Route 2 is a good road that has beautiful scenery and vistas. This will take you into New Hampshire. The Kancamagus is a must-do, unless you are there on a weekend in leaf-peeping season. Route 16 will take you north then east from North Conway through beautiful country, eventually bringing you into the Rangely, Maine area. One word of caution in Vermont: Back roads that look good on a map can unexpectedly turn into unpaved roads, which turn into a sea of mud in wet weather, and can be rutted and full of holes when dry. Numbered state roads are always paved. Best of luck!

Old 09-09-2013, 03:32 PM
Ozoneman
Road Warrior

Originally Posted by elecwiz1
Quickest way? Scenic way? Looking to stay somewhere? Want to visit any museums or anything? Let me know what you're looking to do. I can offer some roads.
I guess I'm looking for a couple options in the Finger Lakes area. One would be if we were just riding through the area and want to ride a nice scenic route (like waterfalls if I don't have to walk very far). The other option would be that we stay overnight for a day in the area and visit some wineries.

Old 09-09-2013, 07:33 PM
Fognobber
Novice

Taughannock Falls on the west side of Cayuga Lake, NYS Rt. 89 about 7 miles north of Ithaca is very scenic with an overlook roadside. It is said by some to be the tallest waterfalls east of the Mississippi. Also along Rt. 89 are some of the wineries which are part of the FingerLakes Wine Trail.

Old 09-09-2013, 08:10 PM
zeke383
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 17 Posts

I second seeing Taughannock Falls. The overlook is placed very well and if you decide to walk back and see the falls up close, it is flat walking with no elevation changes. Pratts Falls off of rte. 20 is another pretty one and it has a pretty nice park. The wineries are plentiful on Cayuga lake but IMO the ones on Seneca lake are nicer.

Old 09-15-2013, 10:37 AM
Rich67
Road Captain

What time of year is best for fall color changes up in the Adirondacks,VT.,NH, and Maine. is it goin on now?

Old 09-15-2013, 11:07 AM
elecwiz1
Tourer

Originally Posted by Rich67
What time of year is best for fall color changes up in the Adirondacks,VT.,NH, and Maine. is it goin on now?
That is really dependent on the weather. The cold nights that we have had recently will surely start an early change this year. October tends to be the month for the best color here but, still depends on temperature and humidity

Quick Reply: Need input on trip through upstate New York, Vermont, and New Hampshire