Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Arkansas folks, gimme some tips...

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-2013, 10:33 PM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,976 Likes on 6,518 Posts
Default Arkansas folks, gimme some tips...

Headed to your beautiful State next month. It's been 20 yrs since i cruised thru there on a motorcycle. Super slabbing it on I40 to Ft Smith, spending the night, then all options are open. Probably gonna head home thru Mena, into East TX then head West. All in all spend 2 days, maybe 3.

What must i see and where must i ride, and what restaurant is a must visit??

Thanks in advance. Really looking forward to it....

Old 08-27-2013, 10:52 PM
BrainsB4Beauty
Advanced
Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

My brother lives in Bigelow, just outside Little Rock, up on Hwy 300. That whole area is nice to ride, nice roads, views, etc., but he and his buddies like to head up to Mt. Magazine, he tells me all the time. If you have the time, I am thinking out through Hot Springs and up into the Ozarks is the way to go.

Old 08-28-2013, 07:47 AM
skidder
Extreme HDF Member
Received 83 Likes on 76 Posts

Highway 23...The pig trail.

Old 08-28-2013, 08:11 AM
ZUTEDUFF
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

LB,,,,,What time in September you coming in? Bikes, Blues and BBQ will be starting in Fayetteville, about 45 minutes north of Ft Smith, on the 18th... There is usually thousands of bikers in town during that time so it's busy but also a great area to ride. Here's some ideas::: from Ft Smith, take US 71 north to Fayetteville. This is the old route to Fayetteville instead of I540. once you get into Fayetteville, us I540 to get to Rogers then take 62 toward Eureka Springs. Got Pig Trail Harley along the route. In Eureka Springs, take SH23, (pig Trail) down to Ozark. south of Ozark on 23, turn on 309 and go to Paris and thru Paris to Mt Magazine and the Magazine Lodge> if you need a place to stay for the night, can't beat the views. From the Lodge, continue south on 309 to SH 10, go east on 10 to Danville and then SH 27 south to SH 88. Take SH88 toward Sims and to US 270. You pickup SH 88 again which goes west and will take you to Mena. If you stay on 88, it take you West on the Talimena Scenic Drive and into Oklahoma. Once in OK, 88 turns to Highway 1 and take you to 259 which going South take you to Broken Bow, and Idabel and toward US 82, I30 or Paris Tx...From there you've on your own...If you don't have that much time, you can forget about going to Eureka Springs and just take US 412 out of Fayetteville to Huntsville and down SH 23....

Hope this gives you a place to start looking on the map....Most of these roads are great the last time I was down them..

edit:,, Oh yeah,,,give me a shout when you'll be coming thru Mena and I'll buy you a cup of coffee if I'm around.....

Last edited by ZUTEDUFF; 08-28-2013 at 08:19 AM.
Old 08-28-2013, 09:35 AM
LoneBone
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 27,976 Likes on 6,518 Posts

Originally Posted by BrainsB4Beauty
My brother lives in Bigelow, just outside Little Rock, up on Hwy 300. That whole area is nice to ride, nice roads, views, etc., but he and his buddies like to head up to Mt. Magazine, he tells me all the time. If you have the time, I am thinking out through Hot Springs and up into the Ozarks is the way to go.
Originally Posted by skidder
Highway 23...The pig trail.
Appreciate the info....

Originally Posted by ZUTEDUFF
LB,,,,,What time in September you coming in? Bikes, Blues and BBQ will be starting in Fayetteville, about 45 minutes north of Ft Smith, on the 18th... There is usually thousands of bikers in town during that time so it's busy but also a great area to ride. Here's some ideas::: from Ft Smith, take US 71 north to Fayetteville. This is the old route to Fayetteville instead of I540. once you get into Fayetteville, us I540 to get to Rogers then take 62 toward Eureka Springs. Got Pig Trail Harley along the route. In Eureka Springs, take SH23, (pig Trail) down to Ozark. south of Ozark on 23, turn on 309 and go to Paris and thru Paris to Mt Magazine and the Magazine Lodge> if you need a place to stay for the night, can't beat the views. From the Lodge, continue south on 309 to SH 10, go east on 10 to Danville and then SH 27 south to SH 88. Take SH88 toward Sims and to US 270. You pickup SH 88 again which goes west and will take you to Mena. If you stay on 88, it take you West on the Talimena Scenic Drive and into Oklahoma. Once in OK, 88 turns to Highway 1 and take you to 259 which going South take you to Broken Bow, and Idabel and toward US 82, I30 or Paris Tx...From there you've on your own...If you don't have that much time, you can forget about going to Eureka Springs and just take US 412 out of Fayetteville to Huntsville and down SH 23....

Hope this gives you a place to start looking on the map....Most of these roads are great the last time I was down them..

edit:,, Oh yeah,,,give me a shout when you'll be coming thru Mena and I'll buy you a cup of coffee if I'm around.....
Awesome info!!!

I've heard about the Rally up in Fayetteville, and this may be a go. I doubt there will be a room anywhere near there, but that's not a deal breaker. We can hit it in the morning, spend part of the day there then haul *** and spend the night somewhere else.

Thanks for taking the time to share all that info!!! Gives me a great start on planning my trip!

Old 09-01-2013, 10:12 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,081 Likes on 12,186 Posts

Bunch of threads on NW Arkansas - check them out.

My recommendation would be to stay in Eureka Springs and do day rides from there. BBB in Fayetteville is fine if you want to do a rally. But, if you want to do a ride, not so much.

Check out Butler Maps for great riding roads in the area.

Old 09-10-2013, 09:12 PM
rkoivisto
Road Warrior
Received 80 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Ar Trip

Some good places to ride in AR are:
Mount Nebo, Mount Magazine, Hiway 23, Hiway 7 up to Jasper.

When you leave Fort Smith, I would go down to Mena, AR and take the Talimena trail to 259. Take that South through the Winding Stairs Mountain to TX.

Great rides, all.

Old 09-11-2013, 01:30 PM
FXD07
Seasoned HDF Member
Veteran: Marine Corp
Received 7,529 Likes on 2,945 Posts

Hard to find a bad road in North West, or North Central Arkansas...

Cruise Arkansas