Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Leaving Sat. Lake Superior Tour

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2013, 08:09 PM
MNHarley
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Leaving Sat. Lake Superior Tour

My wife and I are leaving this Sat. going on the circle tour staying first night in Duluth then Munising MI going to Mackinaw to cross the bridge staying in Wawa Can. and Thunder Bay, then back to Duluth before we go home 1515 miles round trip from our house. Can not wait herd it is a ride you will always remember. Any tips you can give me would be great

Old 07-29-2013, 08:21 PM
MNPGRider
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 65 Likes on 51 Posts

On the west side of Superior, north of Duluth, north of the Split Rock Lighthouse, look for a little known spot called the Palisades...I believe the highest point above Lake Superior. The access road will be the steepest you will ever drive...steeper than the Pikes Peak Highway. You can walk to the edge and look down 300+ feet to the water.

https://www.google.com/search?q=The+...w=1229&bih=605

Last edited by MNPGRider; 07-29-2013 at 08:24 PM.
Old 07-29-2013, 08:30 PM
olskoolblu
Tourer

I'd highly recommend Whitefish Point and Paradise, MI.

Old 07-29-2013, 08:40 PM
MNHarley
Cruiser

yes I have been to Palisade head a few times it is one of the best views you will ever see even better on a clear day quite the ride up and down though it is unreal how you can walk right up to the edge and look strait down. I have been to the north shore many times but never Canada I have been as far as Bayfield Wis. but other than that not sure what to expect

Old 07-29-2013, 08:48 PM
Oxford
Cruiser
Received 11 Likes on 5 Posts

Pattison State Park is 13 mi south of Superior. It has the tallest waterfall in Wisconsin. Worth a detour.

http://dnr.wi.gov/topic/parks/name/pattison/

Old 07-30-2013, 02:39 AM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,252 Likes on 1,839 Posts

We did the tour counterclockwise about a month ago.
Fuel in Canada was $ 1.44 (or so) per liter, which is about $ 5.47 per U.S. gallon.

Moose are a problem in certain areas so be careful and I'd advise you not to travel at night or too early in the morning. I hear the moose like the dark and foggy times to cross the highway.

If you have time, the Copper Harbor and Brockway Mountain area is worth taking the time to explore. If you go there, be sure to get directions to the "Jampot" (a bakery that is ran by Monks).
We always eat at the Northern Mariner restaurant. They have a 40 year old fish chowder recipe that is pretty darned tasty.
Same for Slim's Restaurant in Mohawk. They have the best beef pasty (with gravy) and they also have a great selection of homemade pies and cookies.
I hear that H-58 is a great ride since they've paved it but I haven't been on it while riding the bike but I have a few times via snowmobile and it's scenic even in the winter.

Ride safe and tell us how you enjoyed your trip.

Old 07-30-2013, 07:52 AM
Dark Knight
Road Captain
Received 147 Likes on 37 Posts

If you're planning on staying a night in Wawa I would highly recommend the High Falls Motel. It's 2 minutes south of Wawa and they offer cabins that are very clean and reasonably priced. They're rated #1 on Tripadvisor for places to stay in Wawa. Owners are extremely welcoming as well.

Old 07-30-2013, 03:21 PM
bones519
2nd Gear

I've driven the Canadian side hundreds of times and Thunder Bay to Duluth lots as well.

Most of the Canadian side is very rugged, hilly and in some places nice sweepers but the ride from The Soo up to Wawa is one of the best rides in Ontario.

Another good place to stay in Wawa is the Best Northern. I actually go to Wawa once or twice a year on business and stay there. It's been recently renovated and it's bike friendly as well. http://www.bestnorthern.ca/

As others have said, you've got to keep your eyes peeled for moose and bear everywhere along this road but pay particular attention from Wawa to Marathon. You get away from the big lake on this stretch and this area tends to have more moose because of the small lakes and bogs. Beware of the cagers too! They love to stop and take photos wherever they see fit and sometimes stop right in the middle of the road to gawk, not thinking about anything else. Truckers curse them!

The ride from Marathon through to Nipigon takes you back to lake for the most part. More scenic vistas, big hills and such. Rossport is a small village about 100 miles east of Thunder Bay. It's in a gourgeous setting and if you decide to stay for a night there's a few really good bed and breakfasts there. I highly recommend the Island Shores B&B. http://www.bbcanada.com/10755.html.

Just on the east side of Thunder Bay, stop and see the Terry Fox monument. Terry Fox is a national hero in Canada; he started his Marathon of Hope run across Canada in Newfoundland but succumbed to cancer near this mark, half way across the country. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Terry_Fox
If you're into history and would like to know more of the fur trade era and some Canadian history, a must stop in Thunder Bay is Old Fort William. http://www.fwhp.ca/ In my opinion it is a better stop than the fort at Grand Portage. Kakabeka Falls is also impressive; known as the Niagara of the north. It's the highest waterfall flowing into the Great Lakes. For hotel in the area there's a good Best Western on the south side outskirts of the city, NorthWester Best Western.

Between Two Harbors and Duluth, you've got to stop at Betty's Pies. http://www.bettyspies.com/

Last edited by bones519; 07-30-2013 at 03:24 PM.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:51 PM
MNHarley
Cruiser

Thanks for the info guys two days till we go looked the weather up looks like not much rain but a bit cooler that is ok dress warmer we are used to it living in Minnesota i post pictures when we get back

Old 08-13-2013, 04:38 PM
bones519
2nd Gear

Well? How did it go? Hopefully it was all great.

Quick Reply: Leaving Sat. Lake Superior Tour