Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Road Trip Failure...

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-2013, 08:04 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts
Default Road Trip Failure...

Today was a planned Iron Butt ride. I was going to attempt a Bun Burner Gold (1500 miles in less than 24 hours). The IBA considers it an "extreme ride".

Prepped the bike over the last 2 weeks. Got it road ready, and loaded, double and triple checked everything this week and ready to roll this morning.

2 days ago I laid my Spot Tracker on my wife's car. Son drove off with the car and the Spot Tracker fell off and is lost. Yes, the device that I keep on the bike so family can track me and see me at any time, was lost. The device that keeps me found was lost. Irony in action... No bother, she can track me on my cell.

Yesterday wife tells me she doesn't have a good feeling about the ride. After all the rides I've completed, this is the first time she said that.

Checked the weather last night, the forecast was changing for my turnaround point. The whole ride was to be a 30%-40% chance of rain. Ride still on, I can handle the rain, although it will slow me down. Got up this morning and they changed it to severe thunderstorms. Damn it! I'm still going. Calculate it will take most of the 24 hours rather than the 22.5 hours I had planned.

Up at 4:00 am, on bike by 4:30. Headed to a gas station I haven't used in the past and it wasn't open yet. damn again...

Driving to another station, changed lanes and realized my left rear turn signal went out, WTH? No problem, front one works and what are the odds of getting stopped for that, ride is still on damn it.

Hit the next gas station, filled up grabbed my receipt, verified time was correct: 4:43am, good (now I am on the clock!!)... verified location of the station is on the receipt (all required), no damn address on the receipt. Walked up the attendant standing outside, asked him what the address was, he didn't know... (are you kidding me?) Looked around the station found the address on the building, wrote it on the receipt with my odometer reading for my log. I will have manager verify it when I return

Burning precious minutes...

Got on the bike and finally got on the road. Hit the interstate, brought her up to speed. Started doing the mental checklist, everything sounds right, bike feels right, settling in to my riding position, starting to relax and get in rhythm of the bike for a long haul. This is the part I love...

Reached down, and realized I didn't have my billfold... WTF??????

Pulled over on the shoulder, still totally dark, grabbed a flashlight, went through my tank bag... nothing. Looked over my rally pack that I keep tools rainsuit etc... not there

Got back on the bike, headed back to gas station. No billfold, attendant didn't see it or anyone else.

Retraced every inch of the ride 3 times, no wallet. It is gone, so is several hundred dollars in it and all credit cards etc....

Got home, no chance of ride. What a damn day...

Looking back, nothing, not a damn thing, was going my way. Karma, destiny, the heavens, whatever, had decided I wasn't going to make this trip today.

Hope you guys have better luck than me. Keep your fingers crossed for me that someone honest finds my wallet.

Last edited by Jonesee; 07-27-2013 at 08:16 AM.
Old 07-27-2013, 08:09 AM
glide2meetu
Road Warrior
Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Dont mean to laugh but this story is great if for no other reason than its a story you can tell about yourself. There will be another time...

Old 07-27-2013, 08:16 AM
Iceman24
Seasoned HDF Member

Received 2,250 Likes on 1,641 Posts

Looks like the odds were against this ride...hope you find your wallet, or at least who has it...

Old 07-27-2013, 08:34 AM
Bodean46
Road Master
Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

When the wife tells me she has a bad feeling about a ride i'm going on, I listen. Last time that happened, young kid texting ran a red light and missed me by inches. Something about a better half's intuition.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:47 AM
djamann
Club Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Bummer dude! I hope you find your wallet and get another chance at your BBG.

I still remember enjoying a couple beers with you at Biketoberfest 2011, after you rode a SS the same day.

Old 07-27-2013, 08:54 AM
Jonesee
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 85 Likes on 53 Posts

Originally Posted by djamann
Bummer dude! I hope you find your wallet and get another chance at your BBG.

I still remember enjoying a couple beers with you at Biketoberfest 2011, after you rode a SS the same day.
Thank you I remember!!!

If you ever get back this way, drop me a note.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:06 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I too do not mean to laugh but this this a funny story. Sucks about your wallet. I guess that is why I have one with a chain. Glad nothing else happened. Just another story to reflect back on and chuckle...Maybe someone out there will be honest and return it to you...

Old 07-27-2013, 10:17 AM
mgmmgm
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Oh man, sucks to have the cash folder gone missing as you are headed out. You had mentioned that female intuition thing of your wife, hope she gets the same for a winning lotto ticket to get you refunded on your cash loss.

Hope your next ride Iron Butt ride goes WAY better for you.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:45 AM
mtgriz
Road Warrior
Received 224 Likes on 158 Posts

You sure used up a lot of bad luck in one shot but I can tell by your spirit that you've adapted and will ride on.....obviously I guess because I'm sure we'll be reading about a BBG completion soon.That's one tough ride.

Old 07-27-2013, 10:51 AM
Juan L
Received 20,117 Likes on 10,260 Posts

Tough ride. You have to average of 62.5 MPH for 1500 miles. All the stars have to be aligned just right for that to happen

Quick Reply: Road Trip Failure...