Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need ride ideas? 4 day trip

Search this Thread

Old 07-24-2013, 06:49 PM
Emtnfirefighter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need ride ideas? 4 day trip

Ok, I have some vacation coming up and have allotted 4 days to go riding with a buddy of mine. We would be leaving/returning from Central New Jersey.

What I'm looking for:

1. Non freeway type riding (a little here and there is ok but I want to enjoy the ride.)
2. Maybe 12 hrs riding each each way . (this is out first trip so we don't want to kill or asses) we want to ride and relax.
3. Good destination with restaurants and bars.
4. Good sleeping accommodations a nice clean hotel. No roach motels

Any suggestions or routes, do we go west, north or south?

Basically like the movie wild hogs.. minus the explosions..haha

Old 07-24-2013, 06:55 PM
HDV-GLIDE
Elite HDF Member
Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Leaving from South Jersey on Saturday morning to NC for the famous MC roads if your interested......Been postponed 3 weeks no due to the liquid sunshine down there....600+ miles the first day into Asheville....

Old 07-24-2013, 06:57 PM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,294 Likes on 2,899 Posts

two different routes:
west point, taconic parkway to saratoga. Lake George, burlington VT, cross lake Champlain down to Lake Placid, Finger Lakes, Cooperstown back to NJ.

Kennet Square to Lancaster county, pass through towards State college, up to Wellsboro, Pa Grand Canyon, Across route 6 east, Poconos back to NJ

you could map this out and not have a bad ride anywhere especially central and north cental PA

Old 07-24-2013, 07:10 PM
rufasim
Road Warrior
Received 155 Likes on 110 Posts

I'm leaving this weekiend on an adventure trip myself. Leaving the Boston area and heading to Buffalo. From there onto Cleveland, Canton, Pittsburgh, Baltimore, and Philly. I want to visit the football stadiums in these towns. See some other sites while out there riding also like the falls. Going by myself, just the way I want. I can ride when I want. Stop when I want. Eat when/where I want and ***** when I want/need. I plan on staying in best western hotels. Discount froms HOG. I have the whole week. Just take my time.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:23 PM
Verelsian
Cruiser
Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

First of all good luck on your trip and enjoy the ride! Looking forward to a good write up. That said I can prolly help out a bit with Q#4 as far as places to stay. I've had two friends do some cross country trips and they've had real good luck with Air BNB (https://www.airbnb.com) I'd definitely give that a shot first.

Old 07-24-2013, 07:29 PM
Emtnfirefighter
Intermediate
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thank for the all the response so far we plan on leaving 8/17

Old 07-24-2013, 07:30 PM
'05Train
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 883 Likes on 439 Posts

Head north. There's lots of great riding around Mt. Washington. Run over to the coast and get lobster.

Old 07-25-2013, 07:42 PM
carrmat
Road Master
Received 32 Likes on 26 Posts

Middle of August I'd say go North. I did the dragon in August and it was brutally hot seeing the other stuff around that area where there is traffic.

Wait until the colleges are back in session and do Skyline drive and go through all the VA college towns for the scenery.

You should come down and do Kennett Square/Avondale/Northern DE some weekend and hit me up when you do. Also hit Lancaster County, do the York factory tour, see the PA Grand Canyon, see some covered bridges, Hawk Mountain, etc, whatever floats your boat some other weekend.

Old 07-26-2013, 06:25 AM
Perry um
Tourer
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

North central PA is hard to beat, August should be good weather. Check out Wellsboro, a nice town with good food, clean places to stay and beer. Then head down to SE Ohio and spend a day riding the roads here. Marrietta, Ohio is a nice place to stay and there are good roads all around that area as welll. PM me if you want some more details on that area.

Old 07-26-2013, 09:35 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

Yup, what Perry um said. You might be surprised how much nice riding there is, pretty close to home. I live in Wellsboro. Call The Sherwood Motel in Wellsboro, for a reservation. (You'll probably need one.) Great riding in N Central & N Western PA. Route 6, and Route 120 are great rides. Stay there 2 nights, and Google these things for some nice 250 to 300 mile day trips: PA Grand Canyon, Kinzua Bridge, Kinzua Dam, Benezette PA (largest population of free-roaming elk east of CO), and Hyner View. In upstate NY, Google Letchworth State Park, take a ride up to Sodus Point NY via route 14 through Watkins Glen, and then back to The Sherwood on 414 back down on the other side of the lake. Then work your way up to Watertown NY the next day, and route 3 through Lake Placid. Stop at Whiteface Mountain & ride up to the top on the gondola. Then cross Lake Champlain on a ferry from Fort Ticonderoga, and ride VT & NH. There's the Rock & Roll Hall Of Fame in Cleveland too. Never been to Skyline Drive, Tail Of The Dragon, etc, so I can't help you with a southern route. Also, PM me if it sounds like an idea, and I can give you more detail. You can't go wrong with upstate PA ---- anything north of 80, and west of 15.

Quick Reply: Need ride ideas? 4 day trip