Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Trip to York Plant or Gettysburg

Search this Thread

Old 07-17-2013, 04:09 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trip to York Plant or Gettysburg

I am planning to do a solo trip from NY to either Gettysburg and\or the York plant from the Hudson valley area. I have two days to do it and was wondering which roads are worth riding down there if any and is it worth to see both or just pick one. I know a lot of the plant is off limits due to the new model year so is it worth the trip. Thanks all

Old 07-17-2013, 04:40 AM
luc.who
Outstanding HDF Member

Received 30 Likes on 25 Posts

I would wait until they open the plant and then take the steel toe tour. Roads down, I like 11/15 from the scranton area. The only problem with that is when you get into sellingsgrove, there is some traffic. But its a nice ride on the Northern part and then after Sellingsgrove you ride along the susquehanna river.

Drop a note when you are planning to head down, and maybe someone will meet you somewhere and show you some of the local roads. I ride 441 from Columbia to Red Lion, really nice ride along the river. If you go into Gettysburg, 30 West of Chambersburg is a great ride, 522 is another.....

Old 07-17-2013, 10:58 AM
rhj
Cruiser
Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

We took the SG on the auto train from Florida To Lorton Va in early June and then rode up to York and did the Steel Toe Tour. It was amazing to see how the bikes are made and we really enjoyed it. Rode down to Gettsyburg and did the tour. It was great also. If your a civil war buff Gettsyburg is a must see. If I had to choose I'd do the York tour or wait till I could spend a few more days in the area. I'd check with the plant as to limits on the tour if the model change over is in progress because you want the full tour for sure.

Old 07-17-2013, 11:05 AM
DBlass
Tourer
Received 16 Likes on 15 Posts

Just remember that the last tour is at 2:00PM so plan accordingly. I rode a long way but got there late and there was not much to see aside from the tour.

Old 07-20-2013, 05:11 AM
fiza
Novice
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i don't like travelling. That's why having no experience of nay grand trip or traveling

Old 07-20-2013, 05:35 AM
TracerBullet
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,293 Likes on 2,898 Posts

Route 772 from lititz to gap, through Amish area is also nice

Old 07-20-2013, 08:49 AM
Geezr Glidr
Grand HDF Member
Received 262 Likes on 130 Posts

As I said in reply to your other post, LOTS of nice riding ----- AFTER you get over there! Some of the best riding in the whole state is the western half of the state, and the BEST riding is in the northwest quarter of PA. From Gettysburg, try 15 north to 34 north, through Carlisle, and then 74 north up out of Carlisle. 74 goes up over a mountain & down the other side, with some twisties & a hairpin turn or 2. It's pretty cool. I ride to my brother's in MD a couple of times a summer, and I take 74 on at least 1 leg of every trip. Sometimes, both legs. Couple of places to stop & take in some scenic views too. It's also an easy couple hour ride if you wanna go up to the end of 74, and turn around & go back to Gettysburg. If you're heading home, at the end of 74, turn right onto 75, and it's only a couple of miles to 322 which goes to Harrisburg where you can get 81 to 78 again --- if you're going home on 78 to 287.

Old 07-23-2013, 05:25 AM
bobgv
Road Warrior
Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by fiza
i don't like travelling. That's why having no experience of nay grand trip or traveling
hmmmmm.....ok

Old 07-23-2013, 09:52 AM
harleyfiremedic
Road Captain
Received 40 Likes on 18 Posts

Was just in Gettysburg a couple of weeks ago. If you are looking to really see and explore the battlefield, I think it would take the better part of a day. There is just so much to see and explore. I only wanted to see the Unit memorial and the State Memorial for my Great Great Great grandfather and it took a couple of hours to find them and visit just that small part of the battle field. It was almost eire riding through the battlefield thinking about the history and what had happened there. My wife is not much of a history buff and even she noticed the feeling riding around the battlefield. Next time we head down to Gettysburg, I am going to make time to get a real tour of the battlefield.

I did the regular tour at York a few years ago and it was enjoyable. I do want to get down there and see the Steel Toe Tour but have not as of yet.

They are close enough to do both, at least some part of the battlefield.

Finally, not sure if your riding highways, but if you are stay away from I84 from the NY boarder to Scranton. While it has a couple of smooth spots, it is in real rough shape. So rough that it broke a couple of things on our camper. With all the big holes and ruts it would actually be dangerous in spots on a bike.