Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Need a place to keep truck during Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

Search this Thread

Old 06-17-2013, 01:38 PM
krtracr
Advanced
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Need a place to keep truck during Blue Ridge Parkway Trip

I am looking for someone that lives near Cherokee N.C. thatwill allow us leave our pick-up truck and U-haul trailer at their residence for aweek to 10 days this summer.

My wife and I are planning a road trip along the Blue RidgeParkway on our Harley. We plan on leaving South Florida on Saturday, July 27, arrivingin Cherokee Sunday afternoon.

Our plan is to stay in Cherokee Sunday night and leave Mondaymorning for a week to 10 day trip along the BRP, I believe it is about 450miles, we have no agenda or reservations at this point, the plan is to do a lotof hiking along the parkway trails and play it by ear.

The only hard date at this time is I have to be back at workon Monday August 12.

I would like to leave our truck & trailer at someone’sresidence where it will be out of the way and won’t have to be moved.

Also, any tips on things to do and places to stay frompeople who have done this trip would be appreciated.

Thanks, Tom

Old 06-17-2013, 08:23 PM
michaelnmississippi
Advanced

Sorry i didn't read the part about leaving truck for 10 days. I would drop u haul trailer of at uhaul and park truck at walmart

Last edited by michaelnmississippi; 06-17-2013 at 08:27 PM.
Old 06-17-2013, 10:03 PM
beammeup
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

The Comfort Inn in Maggie Valley let us leave the truck and trailer for a week while we road through the smokies. We stayed the first night and after about five days came back and stayed over night and left the next day. I would guess you would want to get that agreed to before you leave home.

past performance cannot predict future results. your results may vary.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:20 AM
slhanks4
Road Warrior
Received 49 Likes on 40 Posts

How about keep it at home and ride to the BRP?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:46 AM
krtracr
Advanced

Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

I have thought of all these senerio's, I like the hotel deal the best. Someone on another site suggested the local HD dealer, there is a small HD dealer in Cherokee.

I checked with u-haul and it would double the cost of the trailer rental.

We live in SoFlo and spending 700 miles on a straight asphalt roadway in 90+° temperatures is not my idea of an ideal ride.

We are stopping in Athens Ga. on the way up to visit a high school friend of my wife's, we may leave the truck there, I think it s about 3-4 hours to Cherokee from there.

Thanks again.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:13 AM
kemosabe2
Cruiser

You might try Microtel in Robbinsville or the Ridgetop Motel in Bryson City.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:38 AM
michaelnmississippi
Advanced

Ditto on maggie valley's hospitality i parked my truck and unhitched trailer and kept it at motel there also ! But not for 10 days. I'll bet you a soda pop that they would let you leave it..... For a couple nights rent?????

Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Athens would be a great jumping-off spot for a trip through the Blue Ridge Mountains, beginning with the famous motorcycle road, Moonshiner 28! From Athens, y'all can make your way up to Lavonia, then to Walhalla, SC, for the beginning of the ride. It ends up at the tail of the dragon, but runs within just a few miles of Cherokee. Go to www.moonshiner28.com for more details. We rode a good piece of it a couple of weeks ago while on vacation up there, and really enjoyed it as much as any road we rode that week. Also, give yourself an extra treat and ride on to the Dragon, stopping by Fontana Dam. You can ride the Dragon, then keep right on going (turning right), down the Foothills Parkway, to Townsend, then right back into the Smoky Mountain Nat'l Park, to come out in Cherokee.

Old 06-18-2013, 08:03 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,475 Likes on 2,214 Posts

Originally Posted by krtracr

We live in SoFlo and spending 700 miles on a straight asphalt roadway in 90+° temperatures is not my idea of an ideal ride.

its only straight till ya get outta Florida......lol.......

its not a bad ride.......we try and do at least one 3-4000 miler per year....we make a loop, sorta......

go up 75 to Tenn or western NC, ride the BRP or whichever.....then hit 26 or 77 to 95 to come back home.....or the reverse......95 to 26 or 77 to the hills, ride wherever.....then make our way to 75 and home......

we usually do about 500 miles the first day and by mid second day we are there......

Old 06-18-2013, 09:05 AM
rubberfrog
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 124 Likes on 87 Posts

Originally Posted by krtracr
Thanks to everyone who has replied so far.

I have thought of all these senerio's, I like the hotel deal the best. Someone on another site suggested the local HD dealer, there is a small HD dealer in Cherokee.

I checked with u-haul and it would double the cost of the trailer rental.

We are stopping in Athens Ga. on the way up to visit a high school friend of my wife's, we may leave the truck there, I think it s about 3-4 hours to Cherokee from there.

Thanks again.
There's your solution right there. Why risk leaving your truck in some strange parking lot?

Quick Reply: Need a place to keep truck during Blue Ridge Parkway Trip