Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Milwaukee, WI to Anchorage, AK

Search this Thread

Old 06-15-2013, 09:42 AM
mhill0826
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Milwaukee, WI to Anchorage, AK

I am looking way into the future and planning a trip to Anchorage, AK from Milwaukee, WI. The first thing that came to mind, is being able to get gas, especially when I get further north of Prince George, British Columbia. My initial planned route takes me to Seattle, WA first, then north. The route in Canada looks to be using Hwys 97, 16 and 1. I'm looking for some feedback from people who have ridden out there or who have some knowledge about this. I was planning on carrying one extra gallon of gas to begin with, do I need to do this or are there enough gas stops along the route to not need this.

Old 06-15-2013, 06:14 PM
2AMGuy
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 3,293 Likes on 1,858 Posts

I rode to AK in June, 2000 on a new Ultra, pulling an Escapade cargo trailer.
I didn't carry extra gas but I did take a small syphoning hose just in case.

I believe the longest distance between gas was just a tad under 100 miles, so getting gas wasn't a real problem but getting "premium" fuel was.
I topped off my tank much more than I had to just to be careful and sometimes I had to buy 87 octane.

Although I had no serious issues, I think that if I did that trip again that oone thing I would be more concerned with would be having a flat tire.
My Ultra had tube-type tires, which can be a major PIA.

Two things that I will suggest is that, one, you check out the ferry that runs from Haines, AK to Bellingham, WA.
I rode it south as I couldn't see riding the same road(s) twice and beating my bike, and myself up again, and two, finding a riding partner to help off set motel fees and perhaps the ferry cabin fee.

Good luck on your trip and be sure to let us know how it goes.

Last edited by 2AMGuy; 06-15-2013 at 06:20 PM.
Old 06-19-2013, 05:06 PM
Pops
Road Captain
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello there.....I have ridden two-up with my wife from Grand Junction Colorado to Albuquerque then realized I had melted milk duds running down my pant legs so we made a U-turn and headed back to our home in Big Lake Alaska. We took 9 days to do it, wasn't in a hurry and just had lots of fun. The Ultra only had three-tenths of a mile on it when we started and once we got home we were ready to do it all over again. Next summer we are off to Indiana.... Shoot me an email ybpops@yahoo.com and I will give you my contact info along with more advice than I feel like writing on this forum.

Pops

Old 06-19-2013, 07:34 PM
mhill0826
Cruiser
Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

My initial plan is 7-8 days out, same back. I checked some other forums/websites and from what I gather, getting gas shouldn't be that big an issue. What about hotels enroute? I thought about packing some camping gear too. I don't intend on rushing anything, taking my time to see sights and enjoy the ride. I will have about 26 days total to work with so if the mood strikes to stay an extra night somewhere, I will. I'm hoping to recruit a couple more guys to go. So far, just two, but that will be fun enough!