Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Anamosa IA

Search this Thread

Old 06-02-2013, 08:09 AM
mervt198
Cruiser
Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Anamosa IA

Besides J&P Cycle and the motorcycle museum. Anything else worth experiencing in the area? Any campgrounds nearby?

Old 06-02-2013, 09:00 AM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Depending on which direction you're heading the Mississippi River Valley offers some beautiful scenery up to Prescott WI.

Old 06-02-2013, 11:59 AM
nevada72
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 26,141 Likes on 12,207 Posts

Originally Posted by rizzo
Depending on which direction you're heading the Mississippi River Valley offers some beautiful scenery up to Prescott WI.
That.

Not much by Anamosa. I would head east to Galena IL - a local riders destination. Maybe head south along the river and hit Poopy's in Savannah IL - a biker bar. Head back north and catch the Iowa side of the river on County Rd 9 to the Ferry in Cassville. Head over to Potosi and check out the brewery. Tons of good roads to ride in SW WI. Then if you have more time, ride north along the river on 35 - beautiful.

Old 06-02-2013, 06:33 PM
nevrl8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

If you are headed to Anamosa, stop by the Stone City General Store (located in the North part of Anomosa along a river) for lunch-great scenery and food selection. If you dedcide to go to Poopy's, the Iron Horse Bar, (about 15 minutes away from Poopy's) is a good place for a beer. Poopy's has live music on Fridays, and Sat., and I believe there is camping at Poopy's as well. Down town Galena has a few blocks of shopping (if you're taking the ladies along). If you have time, North of Poopy's, there is New Diggins, WI. Two old western bars to stop at for a beer and fresh corn on the cob off the grill, as well as burgers.
Be aware of the "metal" bridge between Iowa and Savannah Il. Traveling from the Iowa side to IL. it has a short ending with a slight down grade, that ends with a stop sign. We crossed it during a heavy rain storm, and it was a little more than a b1tch to get all the bikes stopped without any issue. The crossing traffic does not have to stop, and you have to turn left or right. It has a steep hillside located directly across the road.

Last edited by nevrl8; 06-02-2013 at 06:35 PM.
Old 06-03-2013, 08:58 AM
mervt198
Cruiser

Thanks for the info. We're coming from Minneapolis area and then heading towards Winterset.

Old 06-03-2013, 01:40 PM
wuzfuz
Tourer
Received 14 Likes on 14 Posts

I second the Stone City General Store. nevrl8 has good advice on the river rides and places to stop. Breitbachs County Dining in Balltown on the Great River Road is another excellent eating place. From Anamosa I would recommend taking hwy 151 to Williamsburg and hwy 149 south to hwy 92 west to Winterset. Very little traffic and fairly scenic ride.
WUZFUZ

Old 06-03-2013, 09:04 PM
rizzo
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,703 Likes on 2,126 Posts

Originally Posted by mervt198
Thanks for the info. We're coming from Minneapolis area and then heading towards Winterset.
From Mpls head over to Prescott, WI and follow highway 35 south along the river. Take a few minutes at the overlooks when you get to Lake Pepin. There's a creamery in Nelson that has great cheese, when you get to Alma, WI be sure to visit Buena Vista Park the overlook is spectacular - bring your camera. There's also a cool little restaurant with good food named Pier 4 It sits right along the tracks with a great view of the locks. You should be there by around lunch. Prairie du Chien is a cool town unfortunately last time I was down there it got dark and started to rain so we had to head back. We intended to go catch the ferry but the weather didn't cooperate. Have a great ride.

Old 06-03-2013, 09:19 PM
xbunzx
Intermediate

If you head to Savannah IL go to the Iron horse if your a bike a real biker bar thats it.

Old 06-05-2013, 10:49 PM
nevrl8
Cruiser
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Vinton IA. has a small lake with camping. It's been 30 years since I've fished there, so google it to get more current info.
You mentioned you were traveling West to Winterset, Lake Red Rock (it's a much bigger lake, I think it's the deepest one in Iowa) has several camp grounds, all which are really nice. FYI-It has continued to rain, almost daily in Iowa, causing recent flooding in the Eastern/Southern areas.

Old 06-06-2013, 07:55 AM
Firebike32
Road Warrior
Received 142 Likes on 93 Posts

If you're at Red Rock, stop in Knoxville's National Sprint Car Hall of Fame. The High Holy Land of dirt track racing! Saturday night sprint car races. I believe the World of Outlaws are there on June 15.

Quick Reply: Anamosa IA