Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Maggie Valley, NC

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-2013, 07:25 PM
PDDGM
Road Master
Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Maggie Valley, NC

Spent Friday and Saturday and came back to the RV today. Maggie Valley is changing more every time I go. Cherokee is nothing but a tourist trap, nothing like it was years a go. We rode around up on the Blue Ridge and just enjoyed our annual Freemasons Riding Club get together. Rode NC 209 North from I 40(exit 24) and ran into a section of road called the Rattler(290 curves in 11 miles). It was a blast, not much traffic and cool weather. Stopped in Hot Springs for a bottle of water and then on to 208 and 70 back to Tenn. Great road, am going to go back is a week and take pictures and read the sign at the store..

Joe

Old 05-27-2013, 08:24 PM
Delta
Road Master
Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts

I also just returned from Maggie Valley. Spent Sunday, Monday and Tuesday riding in my favorite part of the country. The last time I was in Maggie Valley was 2008. We stayed there every year we went since 2004. I was amazed at the change. The place was dead, most restaurants closed and those that were open close at 8 p.m. Hell, even the sports bar closed early. The only BBQ place in town had a limited menu. There is a new Italian restaurant, Frankie;s (I think) that was exceptional. Still had a great time and even ate at the Telico Plains Diner twice. If you go there, make sure you ask for the Tomatoe Jam. I had always wondered why the diner was so crowed in the past, now I know. Out of the 10 days on the road it rained for 8 of them. Had sunshine for 2 days in Maggie Valley but lot of rain at night. Encountered snow and sleet on the BRP, with fog and rain thrown in. The Skyline was good. Got to Front Royal and a few miles down the road ran into a tornado warning and got some really strong winds and buckets of rain. The last 3 days on the road were solid rain with temps in the low 40s and high 30s. All in all a great trip and we all made it home without incident. Next time I will probably stay in Pigeon Forge, more choices to eat and closer to the nicer roads.

Old 05-27-2013, 11:24 PM
tryus
Road Captain
Received 17 Likes on 7 Posts

Me and the old lady are heading up Wed morning for 5 days of riding, including there and back (600 miles from home to Pigeon Forge). Thanks for the tip on NC 209 PDDGM, I've been looking at maps trying to spot some prospective loops, and that looks like a great one. The Dragon is just too damn crowded, its like downtown Gatlinburg sometimes!

Old 05-28-2013, 08:07 AM
bigjames4xl
Tourer
Received 46 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by tryus
The Dragon is just too damn crowded, its like downtown Gatlinburg sometimes!
Yep, and it's not just bikes! Car clubs are jamming the road up there now. It's a far cry from the way it was before anybody put a name on it.

Old 05-28-2013, 07:33 PM
PDDGM
Road Master

Me and the old lady are heading up Wed morning for 5 days of riding, including there and back (600 miles from home to Pigeon Forge). Thanks for the tip on NC 209 PDDGM, I've been looking at maps trying to spot some prospective loops, and that looks like a great one. The Dragon is just too damn crowded, its like downtown Gatlinburg sometimes!
I honestly don't think I saw more than 2 dozen bikes and most of them was one group of trikes and assorted things with bodies that looked like small convertibles with 3 wheels. We didn't meet one car until we got close to Hot Springs, NC> Be very careful if it has rained before you go, I was warned after the fact that sometimes gravel washes into the curves. Another fun ride I was told about is in Tennessee, north of Rogersville on RT 66 to 33. Suppose to be tighter turns than on the dragon, just a shorter ride..Going Thurs to find out...LOL

Old 05-28-2013, 08:03 PM
buttmonkey
Cruiser

deleted

Last edited by buttmonkey; 05-28-2013 at 08:14 PM.
Old 05-28-2013, 08:12 PM
buttmonkey
Cruiser

Check out 32 outside of cosby. 11 mile section to me more challenging than the Dragon. Turns into hard packed gravel after the 11 mls. You can go on to Mount Sterling or turn around. You can go 321 out of Gatlinburg. We go 411 outof Pigeon Forge/ Sevierville to 339(Old Newport Road) to Jones Creek Road. That will bring you out on 321/32. A 6 mile section of Foothills Parkway is also right there.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:25 PM
buttmonkey
Cruiser

Was also in Maggie Valley this weekend. Was at Waterrock **** on the BRP when the Life flight copter came in to pick up the downed biker. Was told he crashed when he had to dodge another biker that was on the wrong side of the road.
A good place to eat is a place named Bogart's. It is in Waynesville. Has a great menu, with reasonable prices.

Old 05-28-2013, 08:36 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

209 to Hot Springs is a VERY NICE road...my wife loves it...I like Wahyah road... Hwy 80 from Marion to the BRP.... 276 is nice...107 from Cullowee...So many Gems...

Old 05-28-2013, 08:38 PM
Notgrownup
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 7,113 Likes on 3,655 Posts

Originally Posted by buttmonkey
Was also in Maggie Valley this weekend. Was at Waterrock **** on the BRP when the Life flight copter came in to pick up the downed biker. Was told he crashed when he had to dodge another biker that was on the wrong side of the road.
A good place to eat is a place named Bogart's. It is in Waynesville. Has a great menu, with reasonable prices.
Bogarts is really nice, the steaks and the trout is MMMMMM!gooood...

Quick Reply: Maggie Valley, NC