Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Backbone Rock to Mt Airy,NC

Search this Thread

Old 05-22-2013, 09:59 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 857 Likes on 647 Posts
Default Backbone Rock to Mt Airy,NC

Trying to plan a trip and one leg has me going from Shady Valley store also know as "The Snake".
Next stop Backbone Rock and continuing through Damascus Virginia (anything in Damaskus?) on way to Mt Airy, NC to due the Mayberry thing.
Looking for something of interest to see between Backbone Rock and Mt Airy in order to break-up the 120 miles.
I am using the MAD MAPS for Smokey Mountains and it suggests that after leaving Damascus i take 58 to 93 but then i need to get to MT Airy which should be no big deal.
Is there anything between Damascus and Mt Airy that would make the 110-120 miles more interesting for my wife.
example: cool rest stop, weird rock, flowers, a sign, waterfall, a lookout, place for a drink, cool store, a place to eat or snack, museum , cool shop, some tourist thing, cool gas station, bridge, dam...basically something to stop, look at and take a picture.
Thank you in advance.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:55 AM
bentryder
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 5,432 Likes on 2,203 Posts

there are a couple of good roads in that area.......for me, I get on 221 to Hillsville Va....nice ride thru the ridges.......at the top of the hill in town (hillsville), turn right on 52 south towards Mt.Airy........as you come outta hillsville look for sunnyside (country store) on yer right........neat place to look around.......continue on over and down the mountain on 52 (lots of little stores/shops to check out.....we stop at The Mountain Man on yer right as you get to Cana Va ) and you will come into Mt.Airy......Aunt Bea's diner on the left as you get into town....

Old 05-23-2013, 08:34 AM
DuraGlide
Road Warrior
Received 119 Likes on 78 Posts

Backbone Rock is neat. If you look , you can see where the rock was chipped away to clear the smokestack on the steam engines that first used the tunnel. Damascus is actually pretty nice. Bicycles are the main attraction. Several touristy type shops. 58 is a good ride. Check out Grayson Highlands State Park on the way. Last time we ate at a place at the intersection of 58 and 16 that was pretty good. Might look at staying on 58 across to 52 and dropping into Mt Airy.

Old 05-23-2013, 07:20 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you both..That is the type of information i needed.

Old 05-23-2013, 08:33 PM
FLHTCUI05
Tourer
Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Mayberry Inn is a good place to stay in Mt Airy if you are looking for a room. Right on the main road thru town.

Old 05-27-2013, 05:07 AM
skootchnc
Grand HDF Member
Veteran: Air Force
Received 501 Likes on 259 Posts

58 between Damascus and Galax is a pretty good piece of road...
But if you're taking 93... when you arrive in Sparta, turn north on to NC-18, then east on NC-89
Lots of good roads, and scenery to keep the wife happy

Old 05-27-2013, 09:47 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Thank you for information.

Old 06-04-2013, 02:40 PM
rick-e-b
Tourer
Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Hwy 58 is a good stretch of riding with plenty of curves. Take time to stop at Grayson Highlands Park. Walk the 1/2 mile up to Wilburn Ridge. It is a natural bald on the highest mountain in Virginia. The bald is inhabited with feral ponies that live in the highlands. They are tame enough to pet and take pictures of. The blueberries will unto be ripe until late July, but they are plentiful on the bald. You can also drop south and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway for a short distance or go by Stone Mountain State Park near North Wilkesboro.

Old 06-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Nellybelle
Road Warrior
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I stopped at the Central Baber shop and got a hair cut. That is the real Floyd the barber. His name is Russell Hiatt I think. Next door to the real diner. We stayed at the Hampton in and they were great.

Old 06-06-2013, 03:30 PM
im
Seasoned HDF Member

Originally Posted by rick-e-b
Hwy 58 is a good stretch of riding with plenty of curves. Take time to stop at Grayson Highlands Park. Walk the 1/2 mile up to Wilburn Ridge. It is a natural bald on the highest mountain in Virginia. The bald is inhabited with feral ponies that live in the highlands. They are tame enough to pet and take pictures of. The blueberries will unto be ripe until late July, but they are plentiful on the bald. You can also drop south and ride the Blue Ridge Parkway for a short distance or go by Stone Mountain State Park near North Wilkesboro.
This sounds interesting.
I looked up Grayson Highland Park.
I see a map that shows Wilburn branch trail which is 2.2 miles.
Is Wilburn Branch trail the "Wilburn Ridge".
Does the 1/2 mile walk mean 1/2 mile in and another 1/2 mile to get out?
Is the walk OK in motorcycle gear? boots & jeans.
What type of walk easy, moderate ?
If possible can you help me understand the logistics.
I see it is $2 for parking..is parking near the trail? or the other side of the world.
I see an entrance at 58 and i see 362 that goes into park?
If i can get in /out in an hour+ and see the ponies it would be rather neat.
Thank you in advance.

Quick Reply: Backbone Rock to Mt Airy,NC