Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best rides around Yoesmite N.P. and Lake Tahoe.

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2013, 11:55 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,801 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by Hausguy
I'm assuming you have that backwards, but I get your drift. I may just do 108 then.
Yeah, backwards. Damn this oldtimers disease!

Old 05-21-2013, 12:22 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by 0ldhippie
4 and 108 are great high sierra twisties with spectacular views! Check out the giant Sequoias on 4. 50 and 88 are less intense but still good. 120 into/through the park is the best! Do ride 49 and enjoy gold rush history (Groveland/Jamestown/Sonora/Columbia/Angles Camp/Murphys/Sutters Creek/Placerville/Coloma/Auburn/Nevada City). Do take a day and ride around Tahoe Lake! Spectacular, even with the traffic. I am not a not a fan of the eastern sierra and 395 but Mono lake is pretty different. Take 89 north towards Lassen. If ya have time 299 to the coast and down 1. Enjoy!!
I'm heading north on 1 from S. Calif and was thinking of doing 36 to Red Bluff...how does 299 compare? Thanks again.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:24 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Thanks for input, Soft, MC, hawg, Wheels, hippie, Any body have opinion on whats the better area to visit, (ride and explore) if I can only do one or the other. Washington and Oregon, (Columbia River Gorge) or California (Yosemite and Lake Tahoe). I will be trailering in from IL. 3 weeks total, so about 2 weeks of actual riding out West. (6 days of driving out and back).

Old 05-27-2013, 10:31 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

I dont thimnk you can go wrong. Besides if you see it all in one visit what is there to look forward to. Go by what your gut sais. Im a Cali guy so a little biased here.

Old 05-27-2013, 10:33 AM
rinja64
Road Master
Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

We rode from Az to Tahoe back in 2010 and had a great time. Just got back from there on Friday. This time we flew in but still had a great time. A couple places to check out - We ate at Red Hut, just off Ski Run Blvd. Great food and you will not leave hungry. Another place with good food, The Beacon, right on the lake.
Good luck on your travels, be safe and enjoy yourself.

Old 05-27-2013, 12:46 PM
timbo141
Road Warrior
Received 238 Likes on 171 Posts

Thinking of taking 395 from Spokane down to Lake Tahoe then LA... thoughts?

Old 05-28-2013, 07:56 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
Thanks for input, Soft, MC, hawg, Wheels, hippie, Any body have opinion on whats the better area to visit, (ride and explore) if I can only do one or the other. Washington and Oregon, (Columbia River Gorge) or California (Yosemite and Lake Tahoe). I will be trailering in from IL. 3 weeks total, so about 2 weeks of actual riding out West. (6 days of driving out and back).

Leave your truck and trailer somewhere near 94 and 90 split and ride the entire route...big circle....thats what we are doing july 20 but truck will be at home in mn......worset case you get uhaul and hightail it back to your truck in montana.....

I was thinking about shorting the trip but you can spend 20 years driving out and back to see all them states or you cn do it all in 3 weeks then head east next big trip...to much on bucket list to keep driving to the west....

Old 05-28-2013, 07:58 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

after all my reserch for my trip...36 is recomended by people as far away as NY....I have had more people recomend that road than anyother on my trip....there a great website with great info on the road....

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm

Old 05-28-2013, 09:52 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

FWIW - Friday I ended up going east to west over the Sierras on HWY 4. Fantastic twisty road with 2 lakes at the summit.

Old 05-28-2013, 10:39 AM
Moto Mike
Road Warrior
Received 122 Likes on 116 Posts

Originally Posted by scumBAGGER
after all my reserch for my trip...36 is recomended by people as far away as NY....I have had more people recomend that road than anyother on my trip....there a great website with great info on the road....

http://www.pashnit.com/roads/cal/Highway36.htm
Thanks Bagger, rte 36 looks awesome! Make sure you hit Rte 12 into Idaho from Lolo pass, great road along Lochsa River! Rode that when I was Mt. going to GNP, one of my favorite rides, ever! Going to the Sun Rd. GNP, Million Dollar Highway, Trail Ridge Rd. Co., Taos Circle of Enchanment, Rte 17 into Co. Beartooth Highway Blue Ridge Parkway, Skyline Dr. ect., so many rides I have been on and enjoyed! Never been out East, but West is Best. Have a good trip!

Quick Reply: Best rides around Yoesmite N.P. and Lake Tahoe.