Road Trips Let us know where you've been on your Harley, the best places to visit on a bike, etc.

Best rides around Yoesmite N.P. and Lake Tahoe.

Search this Thread

Old 05-15-2013, 07:56 AM
scumBAGGER
Outstanding HDF Member
Received 39 Likes on 29 Posts

Hey what is 41 and wawona rd north of Oakhurst like?? we are heading same area and going 41 from coast to Yosimiti thought that looked like a good ride......so I am having hard time planing from Lk Tahoe area to Yellowstone would you guys head more north in Cali then east or just take i80 over? the reason i ask is i looked up the roads Skidder talked about and just might have to add to trip if i can but going that far north kinda leaves us trying to find route east???

Old 05-15-2013, 08:08 AM
soft 02
Seasoned HDF Member
Received 4,571 Likes on 2,889 Posts

Lotsa good roads up there. The little dragon on the 49 is great. Shouldnt be any snow on the passes. Been a light two years for snow.

Old 05-15-2013, 07:19 PM
Joe Mc
Banned
Received 230 Likes on 117 Posts

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I will be coming into this area from Il. staying for about 2 weeks what are the best rides and small towns to stay in for cheap clean motels. From Kings Canyon N.P. up to Lassen Volcanic N.P. Thanks.
Mike, if you click on this link and scroll to the entries for June 17 thru June 19. I think you may find some useful info there.
Good luck.
http://almostoverthehill.blogspot.co...1_archive.html

FYI: For some reason, unknown to me, the blog is in reverse so you have to scroll down for the earlier dates.

Old 05-18-2013, 01:29 PM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member
Veteran: Navy
Received 1,801 Likes on 689 Posts

Originally Posted by prostar
Do the road to Glacier Point in Yosemite, not for the ride but the view at the end of the road is awesome.
+1 on Glacier point. I think the ride is pretty good too.

Groveland is a small town about 20 miles from Yosemite on 120, can't comment on the motels there, but don't miss the Iron Door Saloon, cool place, lots of history, good food and drink.

There's several different ways to get from Tahoe to Yosemite. One good ride is to take 89 to 395 to 120 into Yosemite. Stop in Markleeville, a several good places to eat.

Looking at a map, you will see RT 395 running roughly north/south on the east side of the Sierra's, and RT 49 roughly north/south on the west side of the Sierra's. Between Tahoe and Yosemite there are three good bike roads that connect between 395 and 49. All have great scenery. 49 runs through the California gold rush area, nice ride, lots of history, but traffic can get bad on weekends.

88 is a great road, much of it recently repaved. Twisty, but not extreme.

4 is narrower, has less traffic, very twisty.

108 is my favorite, mostly in good shape, some rough sections, very twisty.

If you like twisty, narrow roads with spectacular scenery and high elevations there are several different loops through the mountains between Tahoe and Yosemite for some amazing rides.

Be aware that on these roads you will go over some passes over 9,000 feet in elevation. It can be 100 degrees in valley to 40's over the passes. Be prepared for a wide range of temps in a 4 hour ride.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:50 AM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg

88 is a great road, much of it recently repaved. Twisty, but not extreme.

4 is narrower, has less traffic, very twisty.

108 is my favorite, mostly in good shape, some rough sections, very twisty.
I'm heading down through this area next week from Seattle. I was looking at Hwy 4 from S. Lake Tahoe but I may look closer at 108. This leg will be coming from Eagle Lake area north of Susanville and ending in Jamestown. Basically heading south on 395, then on the west side of L. Tahoe on 89. So for Hwy 4 or 108, are you still favoring 108 going west?

Thanks!

Old 05-19-2013, 01:11 AM
Helen Wheels
Extreme HDF Member
Received 61 Likes on 56 Posts

that an easy one ..beings I live there lol recommend in Yosemite area: hwy 140 to Yosemite..hwy 49 "the little dragon" ..both are very curvy ..hairpin turns on 49 so the bigger bikes aren't as user friendly. I rode 49 on both my sporty and a ninja ..say what you will .. although they were both fun. the ninja killed it on that track

Old 05-19-2013, 02:25 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Hausguy
I'm heading down through this area next week from Seattle. I was looking at Hwy 4 from S. Lake Tahoe but I may look closer at 108. This leg will be coming from Eagle Lake area north of Susanville and ending in Jamestown. Basically heading south on 395, then on the west side of L. Tahoe on 89. So for Hwy 4 or 108, are you still favoring 108 going west?

Thanks!
I'd lean toward 108, but both are great bike roads. I've done loops from Sonora going west on 108, then north on 395, then east on 4, then south on 49 back to Sonora. Great day ride!

Old 05-19-2013, 02:37 AM
deadhawg
Stellar HDF Member

Originally Posted by Moto Mike
I will be coming into this area from Il. staying for about 2 weeks what are the best rides and small towns to stay in for cheap clean motels. From Kings Canyon N.P. up to Lassen Volcanic N.P. Thanks.
89 is a great road all the way from Tahoe to Lassen. Check out Moon's restaurant in Quincy. There's several decent motels there too, I've stayed at the Gold Pan motel several times. There's a cool bar in Graegle on 89, can't remember the name, but hard to miss, it's a small town.

Old 05-19-2013, 12:01 PM
Hausguy
Road Master
Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts

Originally Posted by deadhawg
I'd lean toward 108, but both are great bike roads. I've done loops from Sonora going west on 108, then north on 395, then east on 4, then south on 49 back to Sonora. Great day ride!
I'm assuming you have that backwards, but I get your drift. I may just do 108 then.

Old 05-19-2013, 02:55 PM
0ldhippie
Ultimate HDF Member
Received 140 Likes on 117 Posts

4 and 108 are great high sierra twisties with spectacular views! Check out the giant Sequoias on 4. 50 and 88 are less intense but still good. 120 into/through the park is the best! Do ride 49 and enjoy gold rush history (Groveland/Jamestown/Sonora/Columbia/Angles Camp/Murphys/Sutters Creek/Placerville/Coloma/Auburn/Nevada City). Do take a day and ride around Tahoe Lake! Spectacular, even with the traffic. I am not a not a fan of the eastern sierra and 395 but Mono lake is pretty different. Take 89 north towards Lassen. If ya have time 299 to the coast and down 1. Enjoy!!

Last edited by 0ldhippie; 05-19-2013 at 03:07 PM.

Quick Reply: Best rides around Yoesmite N.P. and Lake Tahoe.